Why become a member? ×

Why are you in a covers band?

xilddx

Played originals for all my 15 years of playing (odd cover here and there...and I mean odd, Party Hard anyone?) but this year my originals band is playing my Dad's 60th, if it goes well we'll be doing originals and covers (same band but different gigs if you know what I mean).

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1363868778' post='2018623']
June 3rd 2002 was when the great schism occured. You were probably with the Maharishi.
[/quote]

Learnt to yogically levitate. I do it when we play 'I Wish I Could Fly' as a visual pun. Doing covers is all about audience engagement, see.

Edited by skankdelvar

I play in both. The covers band because it's impossible to find an originals band that covers some of everything I like. With this lot I get to play Rock, Funk, a little Jazz, some Blues and some Soul. All the numbers have been chosen because we all love them.

Re the originals band, (French) it's different and exciting to play. It also pushes me when learning the songs as the writer lets me create the bassline so instead of just learning what some other player has created, I have decisions to make, some good, some not so, and I can revise them at any time if I think its an improvement.

In addition to this, it's great to hear the evolutionary process happening. He writes the song, and then as the drummer and myself get involved it morphs somewhat and then again when the main guitarist has input. We'll get told if he thinks its strayed too far from the original idea but generally, we do what tthe song requires.

But then, I'm probably in an originals band that is somewhat more democratic than the norm.

I've only been in about 1 band, ever, that did [i]only[/i] one or the other. My current band does 95% covers, we write as well and occasionally play a song or 2 of our own live, or not it we don't feel like it. Love the music, that is all.

Reasons for doing covers are the same as most people - ie getting enough money to not run at a loss, generally higher standard of musicianship, ease of getting gigs etc. I realise that with enough work all those things are possible with an originals band.

Its a job which is related to my intended career, much like someone who wants to be a chef starting as a kitchen porter. Its also pretty good money, you get to meet lots of other musicians and quite frankly I've had far more great gigs playing covers than playing originals (I've had a few stinkers but hazard of the trade).

I'm not anti original music but I feel that both have their place: playing regularly in a covers band is great for your musicianship (hearing through chords, interacting with other players, appropriate note choice, transcribing, professional conduct etc) but after a while a lot of it becomes second nature which is where the original music comes in: to stretch me musically!

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1363779854' post='2017390']
I do covers and originals.

I couldn't give a stuff who wrote the tunes. They're either good or they're not.
[/quote]

+1

Added to this I'm a folkie so everything I do is a cover :) .

However not all covers bands are created equal. I have heard some which can take a song a rework it and make it sound fresh and interesting (and get the audience going) and others who can take a great song and kill it even though they're playing it note perfect.

Steve

PS I'm currently playing double bass in a ukelele group which is about to start gigging. I'm playing a range of material that I would never usually have played and because the keys and feel are different from the originals I'm having the fun of making up my own bass lines. Highly recommended as a way of stretching your comfort zone.

Edited by oggiesnr

I have an audition for a covers band, well I say audition, more of a laid back run through a couple of songs, on Sunday. The material is ok and I may make a few quid.

I have also just got back from practice with my originals band which is creating some really interesting stuff.

In my band 3 of the guys write songs and I am learning , The call appears to be a combination of commmitment , it is great fun to try new (covered ) songs to see what works but we have a reference to relate to , original written songs need a whole new level of input that falls down if 1 can't commit to it , we play covers
the term 'original' has also been covered :rolleyes: , as a player does it really matter ? if you didn't write it does it it matter who did ?
How many of Kit's songs did you write Nige ? or how many of your songs does Kit sing ? does it matter and is there a difference?
at what point is a song original and who gets to claim that ? as Dr Dave said earlier, they play an arrangement of a song , the differential is very minimal to me, and is a purely an arbitrary definition

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1363903740' post='2019407']
Just done one of them showcase gigs in a student bar in town with my fledgling originals band, to a handful of interested people, for no money.[/quote]

Ah... that brings back memories! B) :) Which bar was it?

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1363940697' post='2019720']
Ah... that brings back memories! B) :) Which bar was it?
[/quote]

It's called Ernest, in Ouseburn / Shieldfield. Nice bar!

We got a couple of 'proper' gigs out of it, so it was worth doing.

But to backtrack to some earlier comments - if you do original stuff, and you're starting from scratch, you have to do dodgy gigs like this. It's part of the game.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1363941137' post='2019728']
.... you have to do dodgy gigs like this. It's part of the game....
[/quote]

+1

Sometimes it's a right bloody game!

But, I've regularly got good gigs out of doing a bad gig, good bands have grown out of bad bands and I've met up with many good players.

If you're out there gigging you're in with a chance of progressing. Sit at home and you go nowhere.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1363944040' post='2019781']
If you're out there gigging you're in with a chance of progressing. Sit at home and you go nowhere.
[/quote]

Whilst I broadly agree with this it is probably because I am closer to your age. Things may well change in the future. As technology becomes cheaper and with traditional pub venues closing all over the place could we see a time where bands play from a room which has cameras installed and the sound is streamed live to pay per view type audiences sat at home watching it on their computers? Without that audience interraction it wouldn't be the sort of gig I'd find much fun to play personally but it would change the whole dynamic of bands going 'out there' to play live. Bedroom players forming bedroom bands and playing bedroom gigs to millions of bedroom fans. All a bit weird but it could happen one day.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1363944040' post='2019781']
I've regularly got good gigs out of doing a bad gig, good bands have grown out of bad bands and I've met up with many good players.

[/quote]

I was just sitting here thinking that the gig I did last night in a little bar to try and showcase the new band and get some better gigs was too bloody hot, too bloody loud, and worth only pennies - why the hell did I do it?

But then I read the above - well said sir. A much-needed dose of positivity! :)

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1363944951' post='2019803']
....Things may well change in the future. As technology becomes cheaper and with traditional pub venues closing all over the place could we see a time where bands play from a room which has cameras installed and the sound is streamed live to pay per view type audiences sat at home watching it on their computers?....
[/quote]

Already happened.

Over 10 years ago I did some internet gigs, with a singer called Jamie Marshall, at the Kashmire Cub in London. It was run by one of the guys out of the Cutting Crew.

And all we played was originals!

Whilst I broadly agree with this it is probably because I am closer to your age. Things may well change in the future. As technology becomes cheaper and with traditional pub venues closing all over the place could we see a time where bands play from a room which has cameras installed and the sound is streamed live to pay per view type audiences sat at home watching it on their computers? Without that audience interraction it wouldn't be the sort of gig I'd find much fun to play personally but it would change the whole dynamic of bands going 'out there' to play live. Bedroom players forming bedroom bands and playing bedroom gigs to millions of bedroom fans. All a bit weird but it could happen one day.
[/quote]

Oh dear god, no. I think I and a million others would storm the seats of government before that happened.

Loads and loads of pub gigs round here...too many, in fact, I'd say.
All that does is keep the money down and thin the audiences out.

If you were ok to drive 30mins, either way from my town... you have your pick of 20-30 gigs. ( I couldn't count them all )
.and that would only be the mainstream ones that were advertised.

[/quote]

I keep on reading here about there being less venues available for bands to play, but in reality I'm simply not seeing it. Maybe it's a covers band thing? Yes there are venues closing down, but there's always new ones opening up. Of all the places that put on bands here in Nottingham back in 1980 when I moved here, I can think of only one that is still going, however overall now there must be getting on for twice as many venues currently putting on bands as there were back then.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1363953779' post='2020023']
I can't recall Oceana ever putting on bands. If they did it was never a regular thing.
[/quote]

Thanks, just a bit curious. I was told that Slade used the place in '75 to film a scene in their movie. Obviously a lot will have changed since then, including possibly a venue name change.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaCylETC020

Ah... Back in the 60s when I believe this part of the film is supposed to be set it was called The Palais, AFAIK did regularly but on bands - at least according to the boss at my last place of work. I can't recall there ever being any bands on from the time I moved to Nottingham, but then it would have been in competition capacity-wise with Rock City.

It's only been Oceana since 2004, and these days bears little resemblance to the original Palais other than the entrance façade which I assume is a listed structure.

Don't know how regularly they were put on but I did see live acts at The Palais in the 80's as a student. Some of them were things like student xmas parties. I'm sure I saw Sweet there in the early to mid 80's. I also recall seeing a Thin Lizzy tribute in which Brian Robertson was guesting and though not 100% certain I think that was in the same building but not sure of the name by that time, probably some time on the 90's. There was also an additional venue made from the basement area of The Palais which was 'The Zone' and acted as a competitor to Rock City for rock nights for a while. Not sure if they booked live acts though.