Why become a member? ×

Black basses: Cool or boring?

TRBboy

I've never considered myself to be particularly "vain" about my basses but recently I've been thinking about swapping my gloss black bass for something more colourful. I love playing it, it feels and sounds incredible, and has that nice "played in" feel that my new Virgin White one doesn't yet have.

A replacement would be exactly the same model (possibly), just a different colour: Am I an idiot?

How do you feel about black basses?

This is it below (other two now long gone):

On the whole, I tend to find them dull, but that doesn't mean they can't look good - Precision in black with a tiger-eye pickguard and a maple neck is quite sexy.

I did a gig last year with my occasional covers band, I had a maple-burst G&L and the two guitarists both had black Ibanez / Ltds and looking back at the photos, I think mine looked best if only by virtue of standing out.

I think it's down to the design of the bass, some look good in black & some don't.

I am one who agrees with a little bit of vanity (If it is vanity) If I don't like the look of a bass I just would not buy it. I have played a few basses over the years where the bass will sound lovely & feel really nice but the look just left me cold. I just cant see myself owning one. I'm not sure if it is vanity or not but lets be honest we are a little vain deep down.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1363615726' post='2014754']
Fender Precision, black with black pickguard and maple neck = ultra-cool.

Not too keen on black basses with rosewood fret-boards though.
[/quote]
I voted cool, that be the one I bought off you Lozz lol.