Why become a member? ×

Fender Precisions - they're fantastic

Ham fisted Bass

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='838403' date='May 15 2010, 08:27 PM']... and to prove what a complete t1t I am, today I go and buy a Squier CV P that doesn't have somewhere proper to rest my thumb; looks like I'll be modding my latest acquisition and selling the USA! :)[/quote]
Hey WH, didn't you own that PJ (and sell it) once before? I remember there was a debate about the 70s positioning of the J p/u. Nice looking bass

[quote name='Clarky' post='838406' date='May 15 2010, 08:29 PM']Hey WH, didn't you own that PJ (and sell it) once before? I remember there was a debate about the 70s positioning of the J p/u. Nice looking bass[/quote]

Tis true and I got offered it back and collected it just yesterday! :rolleyes:

I've been looking for a P bass to fit in with a project and as I was potentially going to go to the expense of a used RW P bass (is that an oxymoron) I thought that getting this back made more sense... till a cheaper, lighter option came along today! :) I make no apologies for succumbing to GAS as I don't have 'many' other vices. :lol:

I should add that this USA just tips the scales at 9lb so it's hardly an anchor but a CV makes more sense as I can take it into work and not worry about the kids giving it some character dings. :lol:

• 2 months later...

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='897630' date='Jul 17 2010, 09:28 PM']Further to my earlier post, I found a stand for the 51RI & have also assembled a further P-bass mainly from 70s parts

[/quote]

Nice. I was thinking of getting the S/H CS '55 P Bass in Bass Direct.....

[quote name='Ham fisted Bass' post='205768' date='May 24 2008, 11:48 PM']Given that the P-Bass has been around for 50+ years does anyone in the world of BassChat disagree with this sentiment that, whatever your 'vibe' that the P-Bass will deliver...?[/quote]

Leo Fender was a time traveler. At first he perfected what he could in the present time, say 2010 for arguments sake (No one knows the real era he came from), Bassists were still lunking around the Doghouse and various ideas that never really worked.
Then he went back in time to see what was going on and what he could do, he made a prototype P-bass but it never worked the way he wanted, but he put it out there anyways as it was the 1st of it's time. Then, with the seed planted, he jumped even FURTHER into the future than he started at, looking at what other companies were doing at this time and what tech he could reverse engineer.
He then jumped back in time once again and to keep it as it should be, released the 1st P-bass but then worked onto making a monster with what primitive tools he could, what we come to know as the 2nd generation P-bass and later the J-bass.
You can guess the rest, when he found out about passive electronics and put them into another Archetype bass, the Stingray, but that's for another time.

Conspiracies aside, indeed the P-bass does so much, I can't use on in my ATM but I'll find somewhere to squeeze it in, maybe a passage where I only use 4-strings perhaps.
Nothing does that beefy, meat and potatoes woody wood wood walk the plant kinda tone a P-bass does, and IMO nothing plays better than a THICK CHUNKY neck that you can grab and place as much force as you need to on the strings.
It's just a simple "Turn up and play" kinda bass, not much knob twiddlery here to keep you away from your hands.

I built mine out of various parts, Squier body (black), Maple / Maple neck (P-basses HAVE to be maple fingerboard for me!), Pearloid scratch plate, chrome hardware on black, Black hardware on white (other than neck, never could find what I wanted), and DiMarzio Will Power in the middle...the fattest LOUDEST pup I've ever installed in a bass, I have to turn RIGHT down with this one, at live level my amp is set around 2 instead of 5 for this one...it is friggin LOUD and sensitive to the lightest touch.

I love P-basses, and for all of you out there rocking the P-bass, I salute you!

Edited by Kongo

[quote name='Kongo' post='897718' date='Jul 18 2010, 12:13 AM']Leo Fender was a time traveler. At first he perfected what he could in the present time, say 2010 for arguments sake (No one knows the real era he came from), Bassists were still lunking around the Doghouse and various ideas that never really worked.
Then he went back in time to see what was going on and what he could do, he made a prototype P-bass...[/quote]
Do you really believe that - or is it simply some late night/early morning drunken rambling?

Fender basses are full of design compromises that stem from the limits of what Fender considered to be cost-effective back in the 1950s.

Had Leo Fender really seen the future even if it was only as far forward as 1980, I would like to think that his bass guitars would have been far better designed and made.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='897630' date='Jul 17 2010, 09:28 PM']Further to my earlier post, I found a stand for the 51RI & have also assembled a further P-bass mainly from 70s parts

[/quote]
Good to see thumb bars in the right place :) Nice collection Burrito :rolleyes:
Here's my 2&1/2 - the Bello has a P neck :lol:

I was on this thread months ago and then forgot about it... how very rude of me.

I also forgot to add a pic of my own... doh.... so here it is

[attachment=54531:1280fender1.jpg]

PS Burrito, that is a lovely collection, all different! :)

[quote name='KiOgon' post='898187' date='Jul 18 2010, 05:05 PM']I forgot to mention - my current gas/lust is a '57 Vintage White/Blonde - just how I like my woman too :rolleyes: :)[/quote]
You like vintage women? I agree there's something to be said for it.

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='BigRedX' post='897896' date='Jul 18 2010, 11:31 AM']Fender basses are full of design compromises that stem from the limits of what Fender considered to be cost-effective back in the 1950s.

Had Leo Fender really seen the future even if it was only as far forward as 1980, I would like to think that his bass guitars would have been far better designed and made.[/quote]

Enlighten please?

Some examples to support your view would be really nice.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='897896' date='Jul 18 2010, 11:31 AM']Fender basses are full of design compromises that stem from the limits of what Fender considered to be cost-effective back in the 1950s.[/quote]
*bolt on neck - excellent, and easy to replace
*string tree to ensure downward pressure of strings on nut - excellent, works every time and better than an angled headstock that breaks easily
*bent bit of metal bridge - excellent, and doesn't need to be replaced
*single pickup - excellent and, well, just excellent
*single volume/tone contols - excellent, even that is two more than strictly necessary
*colourful pickguard to cover ugly routing - excellent, easy to change for aesthetic reasons if you must

I could go on but, hey, why bother, Fender Precision bass - excellent.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='897896' date='Jul 18 2010, 11:31 AM']Fender basses are full of design compromises that stem from the limits of what Fender considered to be cost-effective back in the 1950s.

Had Leo Fender really seen the future even if it was only as far forward as 1980, I would like to think that his bass guitars would have been far better designed and made.[/quote]

Even if that was true, then as the thread states they are still fantastic, a simple precise portable string bass, that happens to produce a unique sound that still stirs people today

If you want more futuristic bells and whistles, then as we all know there are many choices which have developed from the fender model

Its like saying large heavy wooden double basses are badly designed because composite light, electronic enhanced models have been developed

Edited by lojo

[quote name='BigRedX' post='897896' date='Jul 18 2010, 11:31 AM']Fender basses are full of design compromises that stem from the limits of what Fender considered to be cost-effective back in the 1950s.[/quote]

Well this is true to some extent...but

We all know you hate anything too fendery, or too 'run of the mill'. And your opinion counts, so i'll express mine, and then we've all had a go...

I've had Spectors, Warwicks, Musicman Bongos, Jaydees, Hohner B2As..etc, and i'm still drawn back to the Precision, and a Jazz.
Totally classic design, the sound that has appeared on countless hits and not forgetting they are the best selling, and most often replicated bass guitars.

So, the 34" scale has become more or less the written 'Standard' for electric basses...Is that a Fail? No.
By 1953 Leo&gang contoured the body, realising that ergonomics were a major factor when playing the bass...Winner.
By 1957 Leo&gang had sorted a hum-cancelling single coil...Winner.
By 1959 Leo&gang had finished work on the deluxe (ended up being 'Jazz') and gave our instrument a quantum leap in sound, and feel...Mr Pastorious, anyone? Amongst others.

However valid your opinion, you can't dismiss the impact Fender had on Bass guitars, and Bassists - nor the continued impact they will have for the coming years .

As for the 'numerous' flaws, how many times have Fender tried to change the P and J Bass, and seen them rewarded with poor sales?

Why are the reissues still so popular?

The 'wheel' no matter how simple/basic/plain need not be reinvented.

Why aren't we all playing 'Gus' or Alembic basses? Apart from the prohibitive expense, marmite appearance and hand built custom nature (i.e. 2/3 of basschat would be on a waiting list.)

Nothing wrong with fancypants basses, nothing wrong with a strung up broomstick on a bathtub...i'm sure the vast majority of us are happy with something in the middle....hence the Fender Precision Bass (1951 - Present.)

[quote name='BigRedX' post='897896' date='Jul 18 2010, 11:31 AM']Do you really believe that - or is it simply some late night/early morning drunken rambling?

Fender basses are full of design compromises that stem from the limits of what Fender considered to be cost-effective back in the 1950s.

You are not making many friends here with these statements, some people will be hurt in their pride. Fact is you can pickup a Precision and plug it in a dog of an amp and it'll still sound good. Most of the modern high end basses need a more modern expenisve rig to match the high power preamps and electronic wizardry

I am all for the future and when I see a valid innovative instrument I will give it credit but nevertheless, I will still always recognize that most modern manufacturer are still using blue print of Fender basses as a template on which to draw similar sounds from, no matter how advanced their gizmo's might be they all try to copy a P sound or a J sound, go figure.

Edited by Grand Wazoo

I've never really been much of a Precision bass fan, but saying that I've never really spent a lot of time with a good one.

However I've just bought the Rufus/Chaka Khan album 'Stomping at the Savoy', featuring Bobby Watson on bass. The liner notes show him playing a P bass. The bass sound is great, so a nice P bass is possibly mext on my list opf basses to buy.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='897896' date='Jul 18 2010, 11:31 AM']Do you really believe that - or is it simply some late night/early morning drunken rambling?

Kinda answered yourself there "Limits of the 50's", he could only make as far as technology would allow, can't bring tech back with you. :)

I've been thinking about a complete what I consider wrong with Fender basses for a long time and I think it's worthy of its own thread so I'll be starting one shortly, rather than clog up any more space on this love-fest ;-)

I'm not out to make friends. I'd just like people to look at instruments without the rose-tinted glasses...

There's no denying that Fender basses have had an impact but 1960 was 50 years ago...

Obviously you don't like Fenders and wouldn't play one - which is totally fine, of course. Each to his own!

But what is it that bothers you so much about other people owning, playing and loving their Fenders to the extent that you would start a thread about what you think is wrong with them? Are you a control freak? :)

Anti-Fenderists will agree with you totally, so you'll be preaching to the converted.

Pro-Fenderists will read the criticism, shrug, say 'meh' ...and carrying on playing their Fenders! :rolleyes:

[quote name='discreet' post='898811' date='Jul 19 2010, 12:13 PM']But what is it that bothers you so much about other people owning, playing and loving their Fenders to the extent that you would start a thread about what you think is wrong with them? Are you a control freak? :)[/quote]

I did ponder this while writing my post...if Big Red started a Gus thread, i wouldn't jump on it with 'They look like a banged up towel rail with a melted frisbee stuck to it...'

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='898820' date='Jul 19 2010, 12:19 PM']...if Big Red started a Gus thread, i wouldn't jump on it with 'They look like a banged up towel rail with a melted frisbee stuck to it...'[/quote]

Even if that's what you secretly thought, eh? :)

I confess I did refer to the white & chrome Gus featured in BGM as 'an appliance'. Ahem. :blush:
But I've never played one, so there you go.

End communication!