Why become a member? ×

Would this be a good thing? A Led Zep Reunion

xilddx

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1361315587' post='1984620']
That's hella cool. I used to be able to go to any gig for free at Manchester Academy as i was best mates with a Senior member of the crew. He's changed jobs now so that's ended which is a bummer. I used to use it to my advantage though back in the day when i was single. I'd take girls to bands they liked. They were well impressed just walking in past the cue for free. The only problem was i'd have to watch some sh*tty bands. One time i took this girl to watch Ash. After about half an hour i couldn't take anymore and just said 'Sorry love, i can't be arsed with this'. I never saw here again. :D Think i was about 21 then.

Never saw anyone of the quality you mentioned. The best i remeber seeing there was probably Moloko and Faith no More.Oh yeah i also saw Malmsteen, that was funny. he was throwing tantrums and guitars at his tech. What a nob! He could play tho....or overplay, depends how you look at it :lol:
[/quote]

Brilliant! What a way to get the attention of a girly! I took a girl (who I thought looked gorgeous but a mad friend called 'cod fish eyes') to a John Otway gig in Cov when I was 17, never saw her again.

Hah! Malmsteen, Vai and Zappa were my guitar heroes in 1986, I was so motivated to play and practice back then, I got so fast so quickly trying to play like Malmsteen :) Bored my friends shitless with him.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1361315674' post='1984624']
How cool is this! Don't you dream of this sort of thing?!
[/quote]

Yes. Yes, it is. Frankly, it's the [i]whole point of being in a band[/i].

Artistic credibility and rescuing starving children from our corporate overlords my arse. Give me some naked chicks and a tureen of charlie at 22,000 feet anytime.

The man who denies this is a damned liar and I will meet him on Calais sands at dawn.

[color=#FFFFFF].[/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1361316082' post='1984634']
Yes. Yes, it is. Frankly, it's the [i]whole point of being in a band[/i].

Artistic credibility and rescuing starving children from our corporate overlords my arse. Give me some naked chicks and a tureen of charlie at 22,000 feet anytime.

The man who denies this is a damned liar and I will meet him on Calais sands at dawn.

[color=#FFFFFF].[/color]
[/quote]

:lol:

And completely agree with your point about assumption. I'd love to see them come back with a new album and tour. But that album had better be good, and true, and full of passion. I doubt it would be to the liking of many Led Zep fans, bands of really great musicians usually evolve too fast for the fans I think.

I never really 'did' Led Zeppelin, they were sort of 'over there' while I was 'over here'.

If they want to get back together and play for the sake of playing then that's fair enough.

If it was me, my concern would be that my fans would either love the material, regardless of the quality, because of their undoubted loyalty - or hate it because the years had taken their toll.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1361316054' post='1984633']
Brilliant! What a way to get the attention of a girly! I took a girl (who I thought looked gorgeous but a mad friend called 'cod fish eyes') to a John Otway gig in Cov when I was 17, never saw her again.

Hah! Malmsteen, Vai and Zappa were my guitar heroes in 1986, I was so motivated to play and practice back then, I got so fast so quickly trying to play like Malmsteen :) Bored my friends shitless with him.
[/quote]Yeah i loved him when i was younger that's why i went to see him out of nostalgia, plus my mate loves him. It's still his big influence. There is some incredible stuff from Black Star to some of the 90's stuff, it's just he could go on a bit and some songs were terrible, but when he got it right it was excellent. He'd did couple of good covers on that Inspirations album.
It seems that we share a couple of common influences. Vai was my main one though. I hammered PAW and SAR for years. I met him after gigs a couple of times. i got him to sign my bass and a copy of PAW, tho that's gone missing. One time we were waiting outside for ages for him to come out. When he finally did my mate Luke, who was a bit of a bellend says, 'f***in hell Stevie! Where you been? George Micheal came out quicker than that!' :lol:
To be fair Vai laughed and had a little chat with us.

These sort of topics remind of the sort of trial-by-media stuff that we're seeing with Oscar wotsisname. Is he/isn't he? should they/shouldn't they? It's all pointless speculation. Just let them reform if they want to and let's see what actually happens, then we'll all know if it was a good idea.

Their last O2 thing would suggest that a reunion will be well received, but who really knows until it happens?

I like Zep, but I didn't go to the O2 thing because the ticket prices were ludicrous, so I just bought the DVD. I assume any reunion concerts will also command silly prices so I won't go to those either. But I bet enough people will, and what's wrong with that? Good luck to them.

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1361316811' post='1984649']
Yeah i loved him when i was younger that's why i went to see him out of nostalgia, plus my mate loves him. It's still his big influence. There is some incredible stuff from Black Star to some of the 90's stuff, it's just he could go on a bit and some songs were terrible, but when he got it right it was excellent. He'd did couple of good covers on that Inspirations album.
It seems that we share a couple of common influences. Vai was my main one though. I hammered PAW and SAR for years. I met him after gigs a couple of times. i got him to sign my bass and a copy of PAW, tho that's gone missing. One time we were waiting outside for ages for him to come out. When he finally did my mate Luke, who was a bit of a bellend says, 'f***in hell Stevie! Where you been? George Micheal came out quicker than that!' :lol:
To be fair Vai laughed and had a little chat with us.
[/quote]
Lovely! So Much Malmsteen is risible, but you are absolutely right, when he's on it he's amazing. That first Rising Force album absolutely transfixed me, it was all I wanted to do. I even formed a band in Wales called Damian to show off my new skillz :lol: Ridiculous.

What was Vai like to meet? I think I still prefer Flex-able to PaW, but there are some great things on PaW. Before it was released I got a floppy vinyl of Blue Powder on the cover of Guitar Player, it was part of a Carvin promotion. That f***ed me up, I was obsessed with it. That and The Attitude Song, which I'd never heard but tried to learn from another advert in Guitar Player, for their subscription offers, it had an arty photo of a floppy vinyl of The Attitude Song and some of the sheet music in the background (an issue I hadn't got), any little snippet would do :) When I finally got hold of the album I learned the song, that was so incredibly satisfying and educational!

I take it you also started as a guitarist?

I really like Led Zep but I thought they were a bit dodgy at the 2007 reunion - especially Jimmy Page. Page has done eff all for the last 5 years so I expect he'll be even less up to speed this time around.

But I know JPJ and Page were chomping at the bit to go out and play after the last reunion so who am I or anyone else to say they shouldn't go for it. They've been sitting in their moated manor houses watching Cash in the Attic and Jeremy Kyle for far too long they need to get out there for one last swansong while they've still got it in them.

Would I buy a ticket? f*** yeah!

Edited by gjones

In principle - yes and I would argue strongly that they should share the magic that they had as a band (despite John Bonham's death). But as much as I loved seeing them on the live DVD I know they were disappointed with their own playing. So pragmatically...it may be that what they had has gone already.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1361347106' post='1984755']
....Four pages in and no one has mentioned the most important thing.
Without John Bonham it's not really Led Zep.
They split after his death and it should stay that way....
[/quote]

I do not agree with that at all.

Jason Bonham is 100% up to the job of filling his dad's shoes.

From a technical viewpoint I'd worry most about Plant's voice these days. It held together reasonably well for the O2 gig but that was 6 years ago and importantly it was a one off gig. Watching Macca do the e proms on TV the other day from 2007 made me realise how much his voice has deteriorated in that same time span. Has anyone heard Plant doing full-on proper Zep material recently? I guess he wouldn't do it if he didn't think he was capable of doing it justice but sometime I think what singers hear in their heads and what demonstrably comes out of their mouths isn't always the same thing beyond a certain age. They'd price themselves out of me going anyway (as Rush now have) so it's a moot point.

Edited by KevB

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1361356056' post='1984888']
....Watching Macca do the e proms on TV the other day from 2007 made me realise how much his voice has deteriorated in that same time span....
[/quote]

I heard that Macca thinks he doesn't need to warm up his voice before gigs. That might have worked for him in the past but it evidently doesn't these days.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1361357211' post='1984919']
So some musicians decide to play some gigs, I can't see why it riles some people so much. If you don't like it then don't go.
[/quote]

Exactly. Shouldn't we be encouraging such things? It's not as if we're being forced to go and watch (and I'm with KevB as such reunions are usually priced at ludicrous levels anyway, so I won't be going - but I'm happy if others are willing to subsidise a DVD for me to watch :lol: ).

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1361314700' post='1984609']
Yeh, but, well, you know, I was hoping to start a thread about huge bands reforming, and all the interesting human behaviours that surround this phenomenon and whether it has any cultural significance, but thanks anyway ;)
[/quote]
No harm in hoping i suppose <_<

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1361317857' post='1984661']
Lovely! So Much Malmsteen is risible, but you are absolutely right, when he's on it he's amazing. That first Rising Force album absolutely transfixed me, it was all I wanted to do. I even formed a band in Wales called Damian to show off my new skillz :lol: Ridiculous.

What was Vai like to meet? I think I still prefer Flex-able to PaW, but there are some great things on PaW. Before it was released I got a floppy vinyl of Blue Powder on the cover of Guitar Player, it was part of a Carvin promotion. That f***ed me up, I was obsessed with it. That and The Attitude Song, which I'd never heard but tried to learn from another advert in Guitar Player, for their subscription offers, it had an arty photo of a floppy vinyl of The Attitude Song and some of the sheet music in the background (an issue I hadn't got), any little snippet would do :) When I finally got hold of the album I learned the song, that was so incredibly satisfying and educational!

I take it you also started as a guitarist?
[/quote]
He was really sound. Friendly, not at all Rock Star. He even let my mates sit in on a soundcheck on the tour after that one. Lucky bastards. I was in the pub,oblivious.

I got into Flexable later and that with leftovers is probably my favourite nowadays.

I started on Bass, these guys influenced me musically but also inspired me to learn technique. I was a right shredder when i was 18, not so much nowadays. Vai made me obsessed with learning theory and Yngwie got me into the classical harmony thing. I did start learning guitar when i was about 19 which just gave me more respect for those guys.

Edited by Lord Sausage