Why become a member? ×

Would this be a good thing? A Led Zep Reunion

xilddx

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1361313009' post='1984551']
So its the same bunch of people on this thread as the one slagging off bon jovi and leppard. How about you guys tell me what your into then so that I can slag that off.
[/quote]
No one is slagging anything off. It's a genuine question with a few honest LZ hates. Rush is my favourite band but by god there are a few songs I'll join in hating, like Tai Shan and Mystic Rhythm :)

So don't wig out and start with that you hate my favourite band so your collection is sh*t thing. It gets us nowhere, we have enough of that already. Cheers mate.

[quote name='steve-soar' timestamp='1361313522' post='1984570']
Danger Danger.
[/quote]

Is that a band or a warning about the direction this thread is taking?

I like a lot of Zep stuff, I just don't see any merit in them touring, and from what I read about it today, it sounded like plant was just winding the journo up anyway...

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1361309701' post='1984464']
I don't think any of them are short of a bob or two.

The O2 gig proved to me that they've still got it.
[/quote]
Absolutely!

LZ are probably my favourite band and I never got to see them live, so obviously it’s appealing from my point of view. As you say, the O2 gig suggested that they could still pull it off if they have a mind to. Whether some people want to sneer and say that they are not relevant is pretty much beside the point, but even if it wasn’t, there are still plenty of new bands coming thru with an obvious Zep influence so they can’t be completely irrelevant can they?

The thing is do they want to play out again and show that they can still do it or are they more concerned about protecting their ‘legacy’??

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1361313548' post='1984571']
hah, I saw Warrant supporting Dave Lee Roth, they were funny.
[/quote]
I would love to see DLR. i was hoping VH would get over here on this tour but it all looks buggered. i saw VH with Sammy Hagar it just wasn't the same. I would of loved to have seen DLR with Vai and the rest tho. I have seen Vai a number of times though. It was incredible everytime. He was my first musical influence.

i dont think it matters these days theres enough room for everyone and if led zeppelin wanna give it another tour im sure they will sell some tickets. im so out of touch i dont care anymore :D my last great gig was queens of the stone age and after reading that other thread i had the 12" of animal by def leppard so im keeping a low profile :D

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1361313821' post='1984580']
Absolutely!

LZ are probably my favourite band and I never got to see them live, so obviously it’s appealing from my point of view. As you say, the O2 gig suggested that they could still pull it off if they have a mind to. Whether some people want to sneer and say that they are not relevant is pretty much beside the point, but even if it wasn’t, there are still plenty of new bands coming thru with an obvious Zep influence so they can’t be completely irrelevant can they?

The thing is do they want to play out again and show that they can still do it or are they more concerned about protecting their ‘legacy’??
[/quote]

Very good points. I saw the Celebration Day film and although it sort of bored me a bit, I was mightily impressed. I've never been a huge fan, but always liked them. I'd be fascinated if they were to write a new album!

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1361313821' post='1984580']
Absolutely!

[/quote]
I never saw Zep, obviously. I was one when they split up. I did see Page and Plant on the Walking in Clarksdale tour. They were amazing. Good album too that.

Reunion rumour comes around every six months in RS. It's like a sort of filler thing they run out during weeks when someone mildly famous in the 80's hasn't died.

[i](The curtain opens, revealing a magaizine office. The stage is piled with paper, cereal bowls and empty boxes of hair gel. Two men sit at desks facing each other.)[/i]

RS Editor: Have those limey dudes who sang 'Pass The Dutchie' and were the first black act to have their own studio segment on MTV died yet?

Scribbler: No

RS Editor: Is PeeWee Herman dead yet?

RS Editor: Is Phil Collen out of Def Leppard dead yet?

RS Editor: Then run the Zep re-union rumour. The one where Plant [i]says[/i] he wants to do it, not the one where Page [i]hints[/i] he wants to do it. We did that last time.

Scribbler: Why don't we get a comment from Jones?

RS Editor: Who cares? He's only the f***ing bass player, you retard.

[i]Fin.[/i]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1361313953' post='1984584']
I would love to see DLR. i was hoping VH would get over here on this tour but it all looks buggered. i saw VH with Sammy Hagar it just wasn't the same. I would of loved to have seen DLR with Vai and the rest tho. I have seen Vai a number of times though. It was incredible everytime. He was my first musical influence.
[/quote]
I saw him in the '90s three times, front row at Wembley in front of Vai, it was brilliant, but in the middle at Hammersmith was the best. The Warrant one was at Wembley too, but it wasn't the same as the first band, Matt Bissonette was f***ing cool on the Skyscraper tour, great musician. Could have seen VH on the WaCF tour in Brum, I passed, what a twat. Mate at work saw them supporting Sabbath for the VH1 tour, he said the crowd was totally blown away.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1361314325' post='1984599']
It simply comes down to whether you like them or not. Personally i wouldn't bother to go and see them if they were playing at the local Scout Hut up the road but if you like them................
[/quote]
On seconds thoughts i'd listen outside if JPJ was playing his mandolin. As for the others. No thanks.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1361314298' post='1984597']
I saw him in the '90s three times, front row at Wembley in front of Vai, it was brilliant, but in the middle at Hammersmith was the best. The Warrant one was at Wembley too, but it wasn't the same as the first band, Matt Bissonette was f***ing cool on the Skyscraper tour, great musician. Could have seen VH on the WaCF tour in Brum, I passed, what a twat. Mate at work saw them supporting Sabbath for the VH1 tour, he said the crowd was totally blown away.
[/quote]
Bummer! That would have been the best time to see 'em as well. Least ya saw DLR with Vai they were smoking on them two albums.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1361314325' post='1984599']
It simply comes down to whether you like them or not. Personally i wouldn't bother to go and see them if they were playing at the local Scout Hut up the road but if you like them................
[/quote]
Yeh, but, well, you know, I was hoping to start a thread about huge bands reforming, and all the interesting human behaviours that surround this phenomenon and whether it has any cultural significance, but thanks anyway ;)

Anyone who is under the assumption that they might be lacking in cash couldn't be more wrong. If they value JPJ's wealth at £50m then Page and Plant will take things to a whole new level on the monetary scale.

No problems with a reunion. Why does everyone get their knickers in a twist about this? They're welcome to tour and earn more money, they're living icons of British music and we should be proud of them as a British band. The stage at which I'll take issue is when their tour manager elects to charge everyone £200 a ticket.

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1361314578' post='1984605']
Bummer! That would have been the best time to see 'em as well. Least ya saw DLR with Vai they were smoking on them two albums.
[/quote]
I had a temp job with a ticket agency, I got ace tickets for free, DLR, Zappa, Aha, Ry Cooder .. I put Ry last for a reason :)

I say go for it, they're probably doing it for the love of their music as they probably don't need the money.

There's a big enough fan base out there to sell out all over the world probably 4 times over.

All music is relevant to some people regardless of it's age or genre, I like what I like and what I don't like I genuinely try to understand it, but respect it if I don't.

I never saw Zep in the hay day, but this could be a chance for me to see them (although I have see Plant & Page).

I think it would be good, but only if there was new material behind the tour. It's no good going out doing a past glory's shin dig.

Plant should still be able to hold a tune or two.

BTW, I started to watch The Who in Vegas on sky tonight, what a train wreck, none of them could sing for toffee, they were terrible. Ended up turning it off. It's impossible for Zep to be any worse than that.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1361314901' post='1984614']
I had a temp job with a ticket agency, I got ace tickets for free, DLR, Zappa, Aha, Ry Cooder .. I put Ry last for a reason :)
[/quote]
That's hella cool. I used to be able to go to any gig for free at Manchester Academy as i was best mates with a Senior member of the crew. He's changed jobs now so that's ended which is a bummer. I used to use it to my advantage though back in the day when i was single. I'd take girls to bands they liked. They were well impressed just walking in past the cue for free. The only problem was i'd have to watch some sh*tty bands. One time i took this girl to watch Ash. After about half an hour i couldn't take anymore and just said 'Sorry love, i can't be arsed with this'. I never saw here again. :D Think i was about 21 then.

Never saw anyone of the quality you mentioned. The best i remeber seeing there was probably Moloko and Faith no More.Oh yeah i also saw Malmsteen, that was funny. he was throwing tantrums and guitars at his tech. What a nob! He could play tho....or overplay, depends how you look at it :lol:

Edited by Lord Sausage

[quote name='Johngh' timestamp='1361315317' post='1984619']
I think it would be good, but only if there was new material behind the tour. It's no good going out doing a past glory's shin dig.
[/quote]

That's a pretty fair comment I haven't heard any rumours about new material unless they've manage to keep it secret.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1361314700' post='1984609']
Yeh, but, well, you know, I was hoping to start a thread about huge bands reforming, and all the interesting human behaviours that surround this phenomenon and whether it has any cultural significance, but thanks anyway ;)[/quote]

One of the interesting phenomena that surround this phemonenon of huge bands reforming is the assumption that it's all about the money and anyway, they'll suck. Which is sometimes the case.

Another is the way that the band member who says 'We're all a bit more grown-up now and we've put all the bad feelings behind us. It's like a new start' is rarely the one who wigs out at the third gig on the tour and spits at the audience, whips his cock out and storms offstage.

[quote name='yepmop' timestamp='1361315183' post='1984618']
I say go for it, they're probably doing it for the love of their music as they probably don't need the money.

There's a big enough fan base out there to sell out all over the world probably 4 times over.

All music is relevant to some people regardless of it's age or genre, I like what I like and what I don't like I genuinely try to understand it, but respect it if I don't.

I never saw Zep in the hay day, but this could be a chance for me to see them (although I have see Plant & Page).
[/quote]

I saw Plant at the Silver Clef thing at Donnington, loved it. The guys I play with from Transglobal Underground supported Page and Plant on the tour. P&P would turn up by helicopter and get pretty much straight back on it after the show. I mean, that's just f***ing cool. I miss the days when massive bands had their own 737 with the logo on the side :D

How cool is this! Don't you dream of this sort of thing?! I can only imagine a second hand Volvo with Kit Richardson stencilled on the side at the moment.

Edited by xilddx