Why become a member? ×

Flipping basses on BC

Shambo

Funny old thing, language. I was reading this thread with a persistent interpretation as in 'This bread tastes flipping terrible...'. It still reads rather strangely to me, all this talk of 'flipping basses'. No, no; it's only me. Just saying, that's all. :mellow:

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1360593248' post='1972917']
I would not complain at all, thank you. do you want to do paypal or bank transfer? :D
[/quote]

Unfortunately I tripped down the stairs whilst carrying it and the dog grabbed hold of it just before he spontaneously combusted... :D

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1360597320' post='1973022']
Funny old thing, language. I was reading this thread with a persistent interpretation as in 'This bread tastes flipping terrible...'. It still reads rather strangely to me, all this talk of 'flipping basses'. No, no; it's only me. Just saying, that's all. :mellow:[/quote]

It's a subtle build up for tomorrow (Pancake day), don't worry about it.

[quote name='tedmanzie' timestamp='1360588328' post='1972754']
what i do object to is this notion that as a non-trader bass player, buying and selling a few basses per year, you are [i]morally obliged[/i] to sell it for the [i]same[/i] price you bought it, and now this is even being suggested by the mods?!
[/quote]

Although we are mods, it doesn't mean that we can't have opinions about 'stuff' in the same way as everyone else can.

Johngh was simply stating what his own personal feelings on the subject are.

There are no BC rules about 'flipping'.
I think it'd be an administrative nightmare, have potential legal ramifications and be a massive over reaction to something that, as far as I can understand so far, is a minority activity that most of you guys spot nearly straight away. :)

If 'rules' are genuinely needed then they get discussed, ripped to shreds or implemented, but we certainly don't want to be going about brandishing pointy sticks for the sheer hell of it - we live here too after all. :)

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1360606738' post='1973268']
Although we are mods, it doesn't mean that we can't have opinions about 'stuff' in the same way as everyone else can.

Johngh was simply stating what his own personal feelings on the subject are.
[/quote]

agreed!
what a large thread for a 'theoretical problem'?!!

and guess what,[b] i just bought a bass from ebay[/b]!
don't worry, i'm keeping it :)

i totally agree about professional traders, and i'm sure pretty much everyone on this thread will agree that they aren't very welcome and don't do the site any service, although personally i've not seen any examples of this 'flipping'...

what i do object to is this notion that as a non-trader bass player, buying and selling a few basses per year, you are [i]morally obliged[/i] to sell it for the [i]same[/i] price you bought it, and now this is even being suggested by the mods?!

it is [i]for example[/i] in my opinion totally reasonable to think that some fender MIJ signature models are increasing (slightly) in value purely because they are becoming more sought after now production has moved to mexico. i don't think its unreasonable or insulting or anti-comunity to put it up at £100 more than you bought it for a year ago, knowing full well that what usually happens is that the seller is going to make you an offer of what they consider reasonable anyway. i put my MIJ Geddy Jazz up for £600 having paid £500 six months ago. it sold for £530 inc post, which once you take off the postage strings and setup equates to roughly £30 loss.

its hardly the housing boom! and yet me and a few other people on here are getting labled as the 'types that will screw you into the ground' over price just because we don't object to someone trying to make a few quid on an occasional deal. i think a bit of perspective is in order!
[/quote]

I am a mod, so it wasn't being suggested by the mods, and if you look closeley enough, you'll find the words just my opinion.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1360597320' post='1973022']
Funny old thing, language. I was reading this thread with a persistent interpretation as in 'This bread tastes flipping terrible...'. It still reads rather strangely to me, all this talk of 'flipping basses'. No, no; it's only me. Just saying, that's all. :mellow:
[/quote]

you think that's bad....i'm still looking for the trigger all these folks keep pulling on basses, amps and so on...i'm certain none of my basses have one, and believe me, i've looked.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1360541347' post='1972198']
At no point did you specify you were meaning solely on basschat. Your original post says "buying basses cheaply and flipping them". Is buying stuff cheap on eBay and selling it for its real value here ok?
[/quote]
I refer you to the title of this thread.

[/quote]
I asked whether you thought flipping on BC was OK or not and you've been morally obliged you to do nothing.

I think its fair enough, no problem with it as such.
The only thing i sort of agree with that the OP says is that here on BC i have bought a few things and i have always received what i think is a really good deal and dealt with really nice folks.
But then maybe the stuff i have bought was purchased at a lower price a couple of weeks before? But i was happy to buy the stuff.

When I started to use this site I posted an items wanted add for a failrly obscure bass. I was offered the bass for a certain price and I bought this bass off a forum member and weeks later when googling for information on this model found a thread where they mentioned that they bought it off ebay for less than a quarter that they charged me.

[quote name='megallica' timestamp='1361295787' post='1984122']
When I started to use this site I posted an items wanted add for a failrly obscure bass. I was offered the bass for a certain price and I bought this bass off a forum member and weeks later when googling for information on this model found a thread where they mentioned that they bought it off ebay for less than a quarter that they charged me.
[/quote]

So?

You either didn't research it before buying (your fault) or you did research but decided to buy it anyway (your fault).

The decision to buy was yours and yours alone.