Why become a member? ×

Flipping basses on BC

Shambo

If the bass has been hanging around for weeks unsold before someone like me might think 'at that price I will have that even if I dont keep it' everyone has had plenty of chance to buy it and the fact it did not sell at the low price should be a warning to the 'flipper' that they might get stuck with it themselves anyway.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1360510624' post='1971435']
I may be wrong - but I took the OP to mean just gear that was bought on here & then sold on at a huge profit shortly after, thereby denying another BCer who would have had a greater need for the bass rather than just gaining £££ his/her chance.
What you describe is fair-do's, buyer beware, etc & probably one that we'd all follow.
[/quote]

No mate, it was me that gave a poor example. :)

We insist that prices for items are shown and, as far as I'm aware, we don't do 'gazzumping' - it's first come first served (for straight sales at least).

I can't really see how we can make a more level playing field than that for the original sale without heavy regulation - something that none of us would want to see I'm sure.

As for what happens after that original sale, tampering with that probably brings us into a whole different ball game of controlled sales, price fixing, restrictive practices and probably a whole raft of other things I haven't thought of (or can't spell). :)

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1360510686' post='1971436']
BC has had them from time to time but we do keep an eye out for these and shift their activities into the Affiliates section.

With the 1000's of posts we get on here and the fact that all the mods (even me occasionally!) have lives outside of BC, some of these will inevitably slip through the net.

So, if anyone thinks they've spotted a trader, report it and we'll check them out. :)
[/quote]

Word.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1360511154' post='1971452']
It's your opinion; it's fair enough.
Personally I think there's something callous about a member of this forum buying a bass on here cheap with the sole intent of selling it on at profit to someone who could have had it at the price the profiteering member did.
As I just said, I was under the impression that that scenario is what the OP is talking about. It's not in what I took to be "the spirit" of this place, so I may - or may not - have had my eyes opened to the motives of some users on here. "Users" possibly being the operative word.
[/quote]
You are correct, that was the scenario I was referring to.

I didn't reaise this had been done to death at all and I wanted to gauge some of the obviously differing opinions to mine.... capitalist pigdogs! :o

Interesting - to me anyway - a few weeks ago there was a badly refinned 60's bass highlighted on the Ebay thread that eventually went for not much.
The general consensus was that it was a one-off hand made job that looked unstable, piece of cr*p, whatever. At around the same time I saw a major name player in a 60's promo pic holding a bass that appeared to be identical to it.
Someone on Ebay either got a bargain, .......... or a "one-off hand made job that looked unstable, piece of cr*p"

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1360511801' post='1971470']I gave an amp away for free as it was surplus to my requirements so you should take every transaction as you find it imo :)[/quote]

I did that too a few years ago; the poster was looking for any gear that a friend of his could use. I didn't see how it ended up, or if they still post.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1360512005' post='1971475']
Interesting - to me anyway - a few weeks ago there was a badly refinned 60's bass highlighted on the Ebay thread that eventually went for not much.
The general consensus was that it was a one-off hand made job that looked unstable, piece of cr*p, whatever. At around the same time I saw a major name player in a 60's promo pic holding a bass that appeared to be identical to it.
Someone on Ebay either got a bargain, .......... or a "one-off hand made job that looked unstable, piece of cr*p"
[/quote]
That's an interesting one. If it's the bass I'm thinking of, I was one of the people who thought it looked home-made. We all get things wrong from time to time!

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1360512490' post='1971485']
That's an interesting one. If it's the bass I'm thinking of, I was one of the people who thought it looked home-made. We all get things wrong from time to time!
[/quote]

It could well have been; John Entwistle's first one was. I only looked because it was a two octave neck (IIRC) or looked it & I wondered if it was an early John Birch.

It's one buyer's idea of what an item is worth vs another. An original seller should be happy with the amount that they receive for the item that they are selling and that should be the end of it. I also frown upon tarnishing another members reputation based purely on what amount of cash they are asking for an item. If you think they're asking too much, PM them. If it offends you, stay out of it, the item they're selling has nothing to do with you anymore.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1360512316' post='1971481']
I did that too a few years ago; the poster was looking for any gear that a friend of his could use. I didn't see how it ended up, or if they still post.
[/quote]
I guess this is life I presume the BC member that took it did indeed give it to his brother and anyway it was not worth a lot £30-40 maybe, on the other hand I hope his brother is still playing and if by selling that amp on here for say £30 gets him £30 to put towards a bigger amp I would be more than happy for him :)

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1360510686' post='1971436']
BC has had them from time to time but we do keep an eye out for these and shift their activities into the Affiliates section.

With the 1000's of posts we get on here and the fact that all the mods (even me occasionally!) have lives outside of BC, some of these will inevitably slip through the net.

So, if anyone thinks they've spotted a trader, report it and we'll check them out. :)
[/quote]

Good to hear. I was about to say I thought this is exactly what the Affiliates forum was for.

If someone is one here to trade then that should be made absolutely clear. AFAIK dealers have to declare themselves when selling secondhand cars (and for all I know other products) and there are laws that apply to dealers that don't to private sellers. If someone whats to deal on these boards they should be posting in the appropriate section.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1360513448' post='1971507']I hope his brother is still playing[/quote]

Me too - though in my case I don't think it was a brother - then I can be the old sod at the end of the bar dribbling that "I gave them their first break" when they show up on Jools Holland.

Edited by Big_Stu

No problem with someone buying something here, using it and selling it later at a profit if the market's moved on. Likewise if someone buys something, uses it, decides they don't like it and sells it on a week later. That's life.

But I feel that anyone who buys something expressly to re-sell back into our community is trading. They don't want the item for itself. They're doing it to make money, which means they're a trader.

I've got nothing against traders, but they should post their sales or wants in the affiliates section. AFAIK, it doesn't cost them anything and they still reach the same audience. Everybody's happy.

The only caveat I'd put on it would be that it should show 'trader' in their member status. That way, everybody knows the score.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1360511154' post='1971452']
Personally I think there's something callous about a member of this forum buying a bass on here cheap with the sole intent of selling it on at profit to someone who could have had it at the price the profiteering member did.
[/quote]

So this unspecified 'someone' is now being [i]forced[/i] to buy the bass for more money? Presumably the 'profiteering member' was able to jump in and snap up this bass because they are so rich they can surf the internet with a [i]super fast[/i] computer?!!

The reality is that basses are hanging around for ages in the marketplace, despite a lot of attractively low prices. The amount you can pick up a barely played US Precision for example is amazing.

The only two problems I've had here trying to buy a bass is that having agreed a deal the seller has either sold it someone else, or has decided to withdraw it.

[quote name='tedmanzie' timestamp='1360521477' post='1971700']
So this unspecified 'someone' is now being [i]forced[/i] to buy the bass for more money? Presumably the 'profiteering member' was able to jump in and snap up this bass because they are so rich they can surf the internet with a [i]super fast[/i] computer?!!
[/quote]

Yes. I thought the rule was 'first come, first served'? Last time I looked on eBay you have to get your bid in before the virtual hammer falls... if you're that keen on picking up a bargain surely you should haunt the FS threads as frequently as any 'flipper' does, presumably?

[quote name='tedmanzie' timestamp='1360521477' post='1971700']So this unspecified 'someone' is now being [i]forced[/i] to buy the bass for more money? Presumably the 'profiteering member' was able to jump in and snap up this bass because they are so rich they can surf the internet with a [i]super fast[/i] computer?!! [/quote]

Beyond incredible.

So, let me see if I get this straight.

I buy a bass on ebay, for a steal---the seller doesn't know what they've got, bad pictures, silly auction times, local collection only, whatever. Two weeks later I get made redundant. In that situation I should turn round to my wife and say "yes dear, I know we have to pay the mortgage and feed our child, and that that bass is worth £400 more than I paid for it any day of the week, but I can't sell it for its true market value because that wouldn't be cool" . Right you are. :rolleyes:

The simple fact is that very few of us know very little about the personal circumstances of anyone else on this site. Is Poster A "flipping" a bass purely for profit, or is he trying to raise funds in a hurry to go and see his sick grandmother in Australia? Has he just been made unemployed? Does his band need the capital to release an EP? Maybe they are a poor student and the extra cash will pay for them to eat for six months. Not everyone who trades on this site can afford to just give stuff away for cheap, as much as they might like to.

Honestly, this is just as silly as the people who get upset at offers. If someone is selling something and you don't like their pricing, walk away. If you think someone is consistently flipping stuff purely for profit then maybe, maybe have a word with a mod---their site, their rules.

I'll say something, though---in the current climate I'd be seriously impressed if anyone is able to consistently buy and sell stuff and actually make any real money on it. Bargains are available to everyone, its a bad time to be selling *anything*.

Edited by uncle psychosis

For me it works largely like this:

I won`t pay any more for an item than I think it`s worth
If I sell it on, it will be at the price I bought it at. If I`ve spent a fair bit on the item, I`ll try to recoup some of that by upping the price accordingly.

But I won`t buy something purely to sell at a profit. I did a trade last year where I thought I would have to sell the item on and did, and so I sold it at the price the original seller had put it up for - a price far lower than I thought it should have been. I`ll never be rich, but that`s the way I like to operate.