Jump to content

worst amp you have owned or had the luck to use


stu_g

Recommended Posts

On 30/01/2013 at 22:30, yorick said:

Anything by Crashdown.............

Interesting comment , I've had loads of makes & I've love them & the support has been second to none even when it's been my fault for causing the only fault I've had in in 18 years .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Kevin Dean said:

Interesting comment , I've had loads of makes & I've love them & the support has been second to none even when it's been my fault for causing the only fault I've had in in 18 years .

There is always one,

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That comment was posted 9 years ago! There was a batch of Mag amps that were fitted with the wrong fuses, it did harm their rep for a bit, I think they’ve firmly re-established themselves as being a top notch company for products and services these days. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 13/03/2022 at 07:56, Kevin Dean said:

TC 250  just a toy definitely not 250 watts & it caught fire .

 

I gigged a TC250 combo for a couple of years, night and day on the stuff that had gone before it. Would be happy to do it again

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had a Genz Benz Streamliner 900 for a little while once, awful amp. Underpowered and couldn't get a decent tone out of it no matter what I tried.

Not to mention it's Gain, Volume and Master control setup. I understand gain-staging, but come on!

 

Si

Edited by Sibob
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Aguilar TH500

 

I have never understood why they set the Bass frequency centre to 40hz.  Surely this makes this control completely redundant, IMO it's way too low to be usable as an audible bass control and just adds rumble.  The Drive control was also completely useless, as I found that the amp would distort heavily even before it got to 12 o clock on the Master.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, acidbass said:

Aguilar TH500

 

I have never understood why they set the Bass frequency centre to 40hz.  Surely this makes this control completely redundant, IMO it's way too low to be usable as an audible bass control and just adds rumble.  The Drive control was also completely useless, as I found that the amp would distort heavily even before it got to 12 o clock on the Master.

ISn't the low E of a bass guitar 40Hz? Or am I missing something?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, NikNik said:

ISn't the low E of a bass guitar 40Hz? Or am I missing something?

The lowest fundamental frequency is, but when the control is centred at 40hz, it boosts frequencies at 40hz, above and below.  There is no audible benefit to hearing frequencies at 40hz and below IMO.  A control centre of around 80 to 100hz is a much more usable and musical frequency IMO.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Sibob said:

I had a Genz Benz Streamliner 900 for a little while once, awful amp. Underpowered and couldn't get a decent tone out of it no matter what I tried.

Not to mention it's Gain, Volume and Master control setup. I understand gain-staging, but come on!

 

Si

 

Don't let our @agedhorse hear you say that. The Streamliner was very well received here in North America! :)

Edited by BassmanPaul
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, acidbass said:

The lowest fundamental frequency is, but when the control is centred at 40hz, it boosts frequencies at 40hz, above and below.  There is no audible benefit to hearing frequencies at 40hz and below IMO.  A control centre of around 80 to 100hz is a much more usable and musical frequency IMO.

Definitely, at rehearsal the other day I changed the bass frequency from 40 to 80 on my Sansamp and it made things much clearer (I was cutting not boosting).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BassmanPaul said:

 

Don't let our @agedhorse hear you say that. The Streamliner was very well received here in North America! :)

I couldn’t sell mine quick enough, horrible thing haha.

YMMV as always.

 

Si 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 14/03/2022 at 11:56, Sibob said:

I couldn’t sell mine quick enough, horrible thing haha.

YMMV as always.

 

Si 

That’s too bad, but it is a fairly heavily voiced amp, and if the voicing isn’t your cup of tea then it’s not a good choice.

 

Thousands were sold and there is still a robust used market for these amps.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, agedhorse said:

That’s too bad, but it is a fairly heavily voiced amp, and if the voicing isn’t your cup of tea then it’s not a good choice.

 

Thousands were sold and there is still a robust used market for these amps.


100%, I bought it used as the sentiment was good around them, just ended up not being for me.

 

Si

Link to comment
Share on other sites

To get back into playing in the '90s, I bought a Kustom KBA100 combo from Studiospares (thinking that would be an endorsement of good quality). At my first gig a punter kindly pointed out that I 'sounded sh*te'; this turned out to be its one and only gig under my ownership, so that punter did me a favour.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Funny looking back at this thread & seeing how hated Ashdown were. The one time I tried a MAG I wasn’t impressed, but it wasn’t the worst amp I’ve played through- that award goes to a 90s solid state Marshall combo... no volume, tone like wading through a swamp & as heavy as half a neutron star

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Spaced said:

Funny looking back at this thread & seeing how hated Ashdown were. The one time I tried a MAG I wasn’t impressed, but it wasn’t the worst amp I’ve played through- that award goes to a 90s solid state Marshall combo... no volume, tone like wading through a swamp & as heavy as half a neutron star

Considering that a one centimetre cube of such a deceased star weighs something akin to ten aircraft carriers that would indeed be heavy! LOL

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Worst amp I have tried is the Ashdown Mag at practice.  But the ABM series were great.

 

I once owned the Carlsbro Stingray in the 80s which I really liked, but it blew after 2 practices.  I was gutted.

 

How lucky we are now that we have access to so many great amps.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Spaced said:

Funny looking back at this thread & seeing how hated Ashdown were. The one time I tried a MAG I wasn’t impressed, but it wasn’t the worst amp I’ve played through- that award goes to a 90s solid state Marshall combo... no volume, tone like wading through a swamp & as heavy as half a neutron star

Worst amp I ever heard would have to be a 20 year old Ashdown stack when brand new. I gather the blue speakers were the problem. I think I would rather stay home than have that as my sound. Murky and not very loud.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Sarlscharisma said:

 

 

I once owned the Carlsbro Stingray in the 80s which I really liked, but it blew after 2 practices.  I was gutted.

 

 

You made the fatal mistake of plugging a bass into it.

 

......and turning the volume higher than 2 on the master.

 

I had one too. Shockingly useless thing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, gjones said:

You made the fatal mistake of plugging a bass into it.

 

......and turning the volume higher than 2 on the master.

 

I had one too. Shockingly useless thing.

Yup, I hated mine. The only problem I had with it (except the way it sounded) was having to replace its bridge rectifier.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/05/2022 at 17:44, Sarlscharisma said:

Worst amp I have tried is the Ashdown Mag at practice.  But the ABM series were great.

 

I once owned the Carlsbro Stingray in the 80s which I really liked, but it blew after 2 practices.  I was gutted.

 

How lucky we are now that we have access to so many great amps.

I feel like I used to really like playing through the head version of a Carlsbro Stingray into an 8x10 at Old Chapel studios in Leeds. Must have been 16 years ago... It might have been the 8x10 that was making it halfway decent though!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One time I thought the Ashdown 15'' combo at the rehearsal space was done for when I found it with everything dimed. Turning it all back down and playing it was sounding very broken. Then I noticed the 'Subharmonic' button was engaged, disengaged and all was well. That thing must have cost a heap of sales over the years.

 

Assuming it actually stood up to everything at 11 then it's one tough little bugger.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My worst  experience was bringing home a cab that reeked of animal urine and cigarette smoke.  I tried everything to rid the smell to no avail. It was deep in the wood. In the end, I chucked it in the bin.

 

It taught me a lesson. Do a smell test before buying.

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...