Why become a member? ×

Hartke - in general?

AnalogBomb

I've recently made the move to Hartke after trying out various other brands (Ashdown, GK, TC, and ahem, err laney) and I have to say I'm dead pleased! I picked up an LH500 head in a trade and it packs a punch, both in volume and tonally. Best of all I like its no nonsense EQ! I'm playing through a transporter series cab too.

Having heard various opinions on Hartke, just wondered what people thought in general?

I really like the stuff. I've had an LH1000 and LH500 and still use their Hydrive 410 cab. It's always been very reliable and i've never had any problems with anything of theirs. The tone shaping o the LH range is a bit underwhelming, hence not using them anymore (wide variety of basses being used through the same head needs a bit more flexibility for my taste) but generally I've been very impressed.

I have a(n) LH500 and although I love the power and basic tone, I found that I just can't boost the mid-range enough. So I have "invested" twenty quid on a cheap Behringer graphic equaliser pedal.

Problem appears to be solved! :D

I love it.

Currently using a 3500 4X10 Combo, which I bought new in 06 after trying one in a rehearsal room and being blown away by it,
Its a great bread and butter amp, used it in all sorts of situations, loud and not so loud, and its been trouble free, still get people asking what it is and comlimenting the sound..

Had a few others, mainly 3500 heads which i.ve bought faulty and sold. and I use my daughters 120W Kickback as a practice amp.

My current gigging rig is a Tanglewater Classic J through a LH500 and a Barefaced Compact, and I can't see me changing it any time soon.

Also have an HA2500 which I keep mainly as a backup, but I'd happily use it as my main amp.

Edited by barkin

Same family, same factory - was very pleased with a Samson power amp I used for a couple of years. Not sure if they use exactly the same power amp section but they look almost identical. Great build quality and reliability.

Edited by dincz

I've owned an HA3500 head and used an HA5500 before. Nice amps, good tone shaping and a quite precise, focused, "modern" tone to them, but I suppose it depends what kind of cab it's used with.

[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1359484630' post='1955498']
But their Bass Strings, Oh dear oh dear. Horrible klanky tings.
[/quote]

They're my favourite strings! Just goes to show how different strings are, and how they feel to different people.

I may come over a little biased here by posting my love for Hartke but truthfully I've been playing Hartke gear for well over 17 years now on countless gigs all over the place and it has been brilliant. I've tried and used most of the current range, my favourites still being the XL speakers and the Kilo head. I'd be happy to chat about any of the kit.

I've got a lot of respect for Hartke UK who are an example of excellent customer service - and the fact that you can call up Mr Larry Hartke on his mobile anytime is just brilliant! If he has time, he'll have a chat!

Dood

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1359485246' post='1955513']
dood is the man to ask re all things Hartke...
[/quote]

ha ha!! I'd just popped in to the thread too take a look! You beat me to it!

Had an HA4000 head, with 210 & 115XL cabs. Great rig, really versatile and powerful. Briefly had a Hydrive cab, but was too tight and punchy for me, but have to say it was very good at that sound, nothing wrong with the performance, just not suited to me.

Always loved the speakers, especially the new HyDrive cabs, but was never a massive fan of the heads - the tone just never quite did it for me. I also think their branding is a bit cheesy - the logo screams "80s". If they could come up with a more "sophisticated" branding it might go a long way to making them more popular.

I actually told Larry Hartke all this (in a much less blunt way) when I ran into him at Sam Ash in 48th St in New York last November. He took it in good grace and gave me a business card. :D

[quote name='thodrik' timestamp='1359487497' post='1955571']
Generally I find the aluminium cabs to have too much 'zing' to them. I do rate the amps highly though, especially the LH500 and 1000 amps.
[/quote]

My Jazz (tokai '62 copy) had a lovely exaggerated growl through the aluminum coned cab i used.... the strings were well used though - enough to thump like flats (I'm not a fan of zing either).