Why become a member? ×

Fender vs MM vs G&L

4 Strings

Now I've played a few Fenders and also some MMs but not a G&L.

Our hero developed the Fender designs for the MMs and the G&Ls a further development.

There are often moans about the poor QC of Fenders and their various shortcomings, but rarely for MM and I've never seen any for a G&L.

If they are better made (for example MM bodies are often made from a single and the necks from birds eye maple, controls mounted on steel etc) and designs are further developed why are Fenders so popular compared with G&Ls?

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1358641144' post='1942830']
Now I've played a few Fenders and also some MMs but not a G&L.

Our hero developed the Fender designs for the MMs and the G&Ls a further development.

There are often moans about the poor QC of Fenders and their various shortcomings, but rarely for MM and I've never seen any for a G&L.

If they are better made (for example MM bodies are often made from a single and the necks from birds eye maple, controls mounted on steel etc) and designs are further developed why are Fenders so popular compared with G&Ls?
[/quote] because they look more classic. Are simpler to use and.... well A p bass or a Jazz, sounds familiar in the mix. I have no idea what a L2000 sounds like (though L1000 are sweet) so why would I buy one?

I had a couple of the American G&L SB-2 Basses. The first G&L I had made up to my specs. It took about 2.5 months. A beautiful bass. I'm using a 2012 Am. Std. Jazz, that is great. Quality Control is fantastic on it too.

[IMG]http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u426/roadrex/6601SVT.jpg[/IMG]

I've just picked up a USA G&L L2500. Hands down best sounding bass I have ever played in my life. The G&L MFD pick-ups are great! I guess they don't really make huge numbers of instruments (compared to other big name manufacturers anyway) and they're not promoted all that well - website is a bit outdated for one.
Great stuff though. The Comanche guitar they do is ace too.

Their marketing doesn't seem the best and that they aren't as ironic looking doesn't help; but I suspect a big part is the pricing - a new Asian made L2000 will set you back £6-700 whereas a Mexican made Fender will be a couple of hundred cheaper and odds are will be similar but a step up from the buyer's first bass - a Squire.

I'm struggling to think of high-profile endorsees / pro-players too - Jerry Cantrell has a signature guitar, though Alice In Chains aren't as big as they were in the 90's, the boy from Stained (are they still together?) had an L2500 and I think Rise Against's bassist used an SB-1 but they're not exactly massive either.

I'm happy for G&L to stay as an unknown treasure. I'll find them less cool off everyone else starts using them !

At an audition on Thursday I was complimented by more than one on the sound I was producing (my playing was OK too !). But they hadn't heard of the name. I explained the history behind them and they were amazed, they had no idea Leo did anything else.

I had a GL Tribute L2000 which I traded for an amp when I got my US Fender Jazz Standard in 2006.
I liked the GL immensely and it was great value for money, I bought it new for about £400 I think. Great tone, really nice to play, and a good looking bass. I did have to replace the crappy far-Eastern pots for US ones which was not an unknown fault on these but I'm sorry that I didn't keep it.
However the passive Jazz bass pips it at the post in nearly every way It just does the job better for me, without a battery to go flat. I have found this with precisions too.
Both basses needed a proper set up when I bought them but the Fender would still be first grab for me with the GL as a backup if I still had it. A very nice pimped SX Precision now fulfils that role until I get a real fender one !
Never played a US GL but I bet that they're even better.

I hadn't played a G&L either until one came in as a PX at BassGear where I help out one or two days a week.

It's the 1500 model with the single large humbucker in a similar position to a MusicMan.

Sounds reallly nice and seems very well made.

I'd like to try a twin humbucker model if such a thing exists :)

G&L are very well made and great sounding basses . To me they are a like a hybrid of a Fender and a Music Man , which is not really surprising when you consider who designed them . Very powerful and usable sound and rock solid construction . I was certainly aware of them back in the early 1980s when they had maybe a higher profile as they tried to establish their reputation as a company . I remember local music shops had a couple of L2000 in at one time or another and they were very solid basses . A friend of mine who has gone on to be an established pro player bought one as his main bass back then , and as far as I know is still using it regulaly now . I used to have one for a while and it was a superb bass in many ways , but couldn't get on with the 1.75 inch nut width . A custom option on the USA basses is a 1.5 inch Jazz Bass width nut , which would have been much better for my tastes . Plenty of well known players have used G&L over the years , including people like Larry Graham , Dee Murray and David Hood , and they will always be a respected brand .

Edited by Dingus

I have owned plenty of all of them and generally (as an active fan) I would much prefer a MM or G&L to a Fender. I think the G&L L2000 tribute is arguably the best value for money bass on the market and a much better option than a mim Fender.

Ponder this - why does everyone play Fenders? Because everyone plays them...its a placebo affect.

Didnt Tony Kanal from no doubt use an asat? I think its just a case of the P and Jazz basses being so popular then the Ray sneaking up behind with little room for anything else being as popular, other MM basses have always lived in the shadow of the Ray (sabre and sterling) G&L stuggling to find a share of the market is an extension of that problem rather than any problem with the basses. I have been so close to owning one so many times!

I've never seen Tony Kanal with an ASAT , but the again I don't see him that much so it's quite possible he has got one , but Cass Lewis used one extensively back in the 90s with Skunk Anansie . I would gladly have another G &L bass myself Pete , they are terriffic basses and pretty good value for money when you consider how well made they are . The USA ones are all Plekked now as well , I seem to remember .

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1358707469' post='1943765']
I have been so close to owning one so many times!
[/quote]

Me too, I really dig the e-series from the 80's (IIRC) the black bridge and control plate look awesome, headtstock design is nice and simple.

I'd like to own one, but it has to be the right one.

Echoing what has been said above, the G&L L2000 Tribute, available used for around £350, has to be the best bargain out there.

Their versatility makes them close to an all-rounder for the gigging bass player and the build is rock-solid.

And.... someone mentioned not liking having to worry about the battery going flat- it doesn't matter. The L2000 will still play, and very powerfully too, in passive mode with the battery removed altogether. In fact, I rarely (almost never!) use the active mode.

Frank.

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1358711954' post='1943920']
Echoing what has been said above, the G&L L2000 Tribute, available used for around £350, has to be the best bargain out there.

Their versatility makes them close to an all-rounder for the gigging bass player and the build is rock-solid.

And.... someone mentioned not liking having to worry about the battery going flat- it doesn't matter. The L2000 will still play, and very powerfully too, in passive mode with the battery removed altogether. In fact, I rarely (almost never!) use the active mode.

Frank.
[/quote]

To work without a battery is very good feature for any active bass . Those G&L pickups are super -powerful sounding , that's for sure .

I have owned a few Tribute L2000`s and they are superb basses. Rock solid build quality and US pickups (I have read reports of dodogy pots but this didn`t effect mine) and a multitude of switching options.

I got rid of mine because the neck was so much of a handful but if I could afford the US model with the slimmer neck I`d be in there.

I think it must be their lack of marketing. Outwith this forum, I have not heard anyone speaking about gl.

So it seems most people with the necessary experience agree on the qualities and benefits of G&Ls, in particular, it seems but the vast majority still feel happier to buy a Fender.

Even because 'everyone has one'.

Of all the members of a typical band, its the bass player who's the sensible one, least affected by whims and what others think, and yet perhaps many are the most conservative when it comes to the instruments they play. Is that a result of this sensibleness?