Why become a member? ×

"Choose a funk song, Steve..."

solo4652

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]I play in a pub-rock band - usual fare. I've been moaning about long guitar solos for a while now, and how I'd like to play something groove-based/funk. I've just had an email that says:[/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]"Steve, we've been talking about our playlist. What is your best liked funk song that you'd want to do, and we'll get on it."[/color][/font][/size][/font][/size]

Chosen song has to:

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000] Be well-known down at the Pig and Whistle. [/color][/font][/size]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000] Be simple to learn and play[/color][/font][/size]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000] Ideally, not be from the 1970's (because we already do too much stuff from the 70's)[/color][/font][/size]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000] Not need horns or keys (unless our guitarist can cover them with his guitar-synth thingy)[/color][/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]I've recently been jamming with a funk band covering Laura Vane and the Vipertones, Sir Joe Quaterman, Shaolin Temple Defenders. However, I'm not going to suggest these because they're not mainstream enough for the pub band. Remember, whatever is chosen has to fit in amongst Dr Feelgood, Oasis, T Rex.[/color][/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]So, What shall I suggest?[/color][/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]Steve[/color][/font][/size]

Edited by solo4652

[quote name='razze06' timestamp='1358440882' post='1939246']
Some of RHCP's offerings from Blood Sugar Sex Magic were pretty funky, and not 70's at all!
[/quote]
Hmm - i think we can agree to differ on that one :lol:

How about The Meters? Ok, its the 70's but would suit your lineup. Sly and the Family Stone? Rocky but funky as...oh thats the 70s too!

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1358439340' post='1939195']
Funk, but not from the '70s?! Does not compute? :-D
IMO funk became dodgy with the arrival of disco, and has only declined since ([b]happy to be proved wrong[/b])
How about something from the '60s like Lee Dorsey?
[/quote]

Meshell Ndegeocello - funky as anything ever created in the 70's (IMO):-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_0SU2jLTjY

Edited by 51m0n

[quote name='alstocko' timestamp='1358443132' post='1939316']

You should already own Plantation Lullabies as a bassist!
It's one of my "Bass Bible" albums!
[/quote]

Thanks, will check that out. Obviously I was being somewhat hyperbolic and sweeping in my post, and my main issue is with 80s 'funk' (which I generally find cheesy rather than funky)
I don't have much of the more modern funk/nu soul stuff, so recommendations like this are appreciated.
Also, I have personal issues with jazzy keys in funk music, but I'm working through that with counselling :-)

If you want something that everybody knows, then how about Jungle Boogie by EWF (maybe too 70s for you but well known due to Pulp Fiction) or failing that, 'Give It Away' or something by RHCP.

You would probably get away with a lesser known funk song if it wasn't too long and would get punters dancing!

Edited by peteb

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1358442180' post='1939291']
Sort of 70s, sort of funk, but not obvious, "East River" by the Brecker Brothers...
[/quote]

Wey Hey - I love that tune.
Not sure it's up the Strasse of a pissed up postman pat down the dog and f#5k on a Friday night. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7l1zjp_wb4

Garry