Why become a member? ×

chocolate starfish in the pub.....

bassintheface

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1355881321' post='1904070']
I hope you feel vindicated by this five page rant-a-thon you have went on.

As has been pointed out - I haven't made it a 5 page rant - others contributing to the thread have - not exactly anything I have had too much control over.

Meanwhile, I suspect the truth of the matter is rather somewhere in the middle, as it often tends to be. This 'idiot guitarist' is probably off somewhere, having a good time whilst you're concerning yourself with slagging him off to what you probably anticipated would be a wholly appreciative and agreeable audience. Lets face it, we've all met 'him'.

The 'A-Hole' is probably still in the same pub as he was last night doing a very similar thing to another guitarist friend - I had a txt last night off a mate telling me that he'd just been 'blagged' by the same guy on the same subject concerning his band. It seems he's currently doing all he can to bore people and alienate himself from other local musicians by telling them that their guitarists are sh*t and he could do a better job. Good luck with that.

It's probably worth remembering the old advanced driver adage: 'you're never as good as you think you are'. I'm sure there are plenty of professional musicians out there who have seen your band and think you're total hacks, that you were sh*t, that your sound sucks, that your two guitarists (who you spent so much time giving the metaphorical fellatio on page one) were dire and couldn't keep up in a Sex Pistols tribute band, that the singer was off key and the bassist was self indulgent, ugly, talentless and was repelling women away from the stage. But then I'm sure anyone who has spent some time at corporate functions has seen a wealth of useless 'corporate' bands who absolutely reek but think they are awesome.
[/quote]

Yeah, spot on. Do you write for the NME?

Like I said earlier, I've no 'axes' to grind - I'm a decent guy who enjoys what he does and rather than giving metaphorical blow jobs, I'm just appreciative of who I play with.

I was just 'setting the scene' regarding the sort of stuff the band has done.

Yes, there are loads of sh*tty bands. Function or not.
I couldn't give two fcks whether you like it or not. I was providing some background. As I said earlier. I've had my rant and it's all good and the more I think about it, the more I laugh about the sad man.

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1355931143' post='1904643']
Admiring what your bandmates do is a good thing isn't it? Why is the OP getting stick for that?
[/quote]
I'm thinking this too. He has spoken his mind & by the sound of it he's correct in what he says, If he is happy with the bands line up & they are doing well then I am very pleased to see this.

You meet a myrad of idiots in & around music. He sounds just like one of them.....personally I have found this thread top entertainment until it went a bit....well .....hmmmm

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1355926160' post='1904557']
Nigel Planer who played Neil in the Young Ones played Den Denis in Bad News. Adrian Edmonson played Vyvian in the Young Ones and Vim Fuego in Bad News.

Vim Fuego: I could play "Stairway To Heaven" when I was 12. Jimmy Page didn't actually write it until he was 22. I think that says quite a lot.
[/quote]

@3:06
http://www.youtube.com/channel/SWTfxveKBwcbQ

At risk of getting a kicking I read it as scene setting, I expect the frankness with it was delivered may (and I hesitate here) just may have triggered the deepest, darkest twinges of jealousy in some at the op's achievements, even if only slightly and very deep down.

And yeah, we've all met that guy.
As an aside, There seems to be a real snappiness on here lately, the camaraderie of old is fading a little, maybe as the site grows and matures, either way as an old hand who feels less and less inclined to join in it makes me feel uncomfortable, seeking out or pursuing confrontation was never our bag guys. It just wasn't. Now it's commonplace. :-(

My problem I know, just thought I'd drop it in there.
I even read a sly dig at my own ability in a recent thread i posted in, (one with subject matter i normally avoid because of the types of folks it attracts, i was silly to post!) I typed and then deleted about three measured responses before deciding to just ignore.

Anyhow. Happy christmas

Edited by gafbass02

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1355951112' post='1905017']
been away for a bit, just wanted to pop in and say you're all sh&te and none of you can play half as good as me.

As you were....
:)

(specially gaf, he doesn't even do solos...)
[/quote]

Just to point out, Dave only sounds good because he mimes to a backing track :D

I'm f***ing awesome, Mr Houtermans told me so and he's a wicked bass player, so there :)

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1355881321' post='1904070']

It's probably worth remembering the old advanced driver adage: 'you're never as good as you think you are'. I'm sure there are plenty of professional musicians out there who have seen your band and think you're total hacks, that you were sh*t, that your sound sucks, that your two guitarists (who you spent so much time giving the metaphorical fellatio on page one) were dire and couldn't keep up in a Sex Pistols tribute band, that the singer was off key and the bassist was self indulgent, ugly, talentless and was repelling women away from the stage. But then I'm sure anyone who has spent some time at corporate functions has seen a wealth of useless 'corporate' bands who absolutely reek but think they are awesome.
[/quote]

This is pretty much what I was thinking when I first read the OP. I've since been corrected though as pertinent details were left out.

The whole, we're too good for him to play with us, he'll ruin it, is something that a petulant child would say.

Add in the reference to kickboxing - no idea what that has to do with anything.

"We're really good", "the guitarist's are awesome", "the guitarists can play any tune", "we played an awesome gig", "He doesn't even know who (insert guitar hero name here) is."

Some see it as scene setting? I don't. Learn some humility, it's unbecoming and embarrassing.

I've seen pubs and clubs rammed with all sorts of bands. Entertainment is what is important, musicianship is secondary in most cases. Unfortunately.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1355955585' post='1905085']
This is pretty much what I was thinking when I first read the OP. I've since been corrected though as pertinent details were left out.

The whole, we're too good for him to play with us, he'll ruin it, is something that a petulant child would say.

Add in the reference to kickboxing - no idea what that has to do with anything.

"We're really good", "the guitarist's are awesome", "the guitarists can play any tune", "we played an awesome gig", "He doesn't even know who (insert guitar hero name here) is."[/quote]

You forgot....... "Never been in a band that's done anything but play pub rock (which is fine and has it's place)"

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mURhNIjc-Kw[/media]

Some people are being somewhat harsh on the OP here. I read his post as saying that he is playing in a band that is doing quite well, with a couple of guitarists that he rates and who are good friends as well. Along comes a rather charmless individual who isn't as good, but is trying to blag a gig at his mates' expense and won't take no for an answer!

I would have just told the guy to f... off ages ago, to be honest......

Edited by peteb

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1355758643' post='1902269']

To be honest you come across in your post as just as deluded and arrogant as this other guy. You've played in the same one band for 12 years, with the same guys from school. You're playing big gigs for big money and that makes you bigger and better than him?

Good luck, but there's more to music.

TBH, with those big gigs on I'm surprised you have time for your kickboxing.

I think you should probably chill out and have a good look at what's going on around you.
[/quote]
Lol😂

"They're not - One is like a cross between Paul Kossoff (who incidentally this lad didn't know even though his bad pub band play some free) and Robbie Robertson and the other is some sort of musical genius who sings like Sam Cooke, plays guitar like Hendrix and plays keys like Dr John! Both though play with style, taste and are musical!"

I'd want to play with your band too. Good for you in not telling him to F off I would.

[quote name='DaveFry' timestamp='1355917537' post='1904358']
Just a little nit-pick about " Superstition " and guitar solos ;

Stevie Wonder was a child star . All his earnings were held in trust until he was 21 , which also was the time his contract with Motown expired . On reaching that age he declined to renew the contract and finding himself comfortably well off decided to block-book the most advanced studio of the day , Electric Ladyland ( Hendrix's old studio ). Down the corridor in the next studio was Jeff Beck . They used to contribute to each other's albums . One day Stevie wanted to thank Jeff for a guitar track and asked him if he could give him something in return . Jeff replied " Well, I really liked that track you were working on when I arrived ( that day ) " . Stevie said " I can't give you that one , but come back tomorrow and I'll have something for you . ". The next day Stevie gave Jeff " Superstition " . He had written it overnight with guitar in mind . The Jeff Beck Group recorded and released it . Stevie liked the " original " so much that he recorded his "own" version later .

- Sorry for the OT .
Back to Arseholes in pubs ........
[/quote]

Which one was the hit?