Why become a member? ×

chocolate starfish in the pub.....

bassintheface

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1356037546' post='1906180']
Why oh why had i not heard of this?

Didn't quite a few of the original band members die in a plane crash? Musically, i like them, but lyrically... it's gets a bit too 'texas' for my liking.
[/quote]

yes, in 1978 or so... I think three died, including the singer and a new guitarist, but then the singer's brother joined and the guitarist that had quit came back (suspicious! ;)) and continued making music. I stopped following them in the 90s, and about 4-5 years ago I got really bored of their newer lyrics... but they're still a great band...

some guys you meet don't get it. example:

a few years ago we (me, playing bass, and a drummer) were up to form a band, funkrock style, RHCP-ish. so the idea was pretty clear.

showed up a guy with a guitar (please don't call him guitarist), yadda yadda, plugs in: [i][b]krrfrrzztr[/b][/i]

huh?

we start playing some typical groove, the guitar joins in: [i][b]krrfrrzztr[/b][/i]

pardon?

it was not, that there was any technical issue, it was just the noise he generated when hitting the strings with his pick: [i][b]krrfrrzztr[/b][/i]

short discussion about the musical concept

he: "oh, I've been through this. no need to talk, just play": [i][b]krrfrrzztr[/b][/i]

after another fruitless try I suggested that we seem to have different musical targets.

he agreed, left the rehearsal room and was never seen again.

another example

punk rock gig in a small club. we're builing up the backline, doing some line checks. everythings easy.

a guy shows up: "May I play your guitar?"

"huh?"

"May I play your guitar for the first few songs?"

"You're kiddin'"

guy: stares at me

me: "No."

guy: [i]hates me[/i]

guy: [i]leaves[/i]

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1355832029' post='1903253']
Seeing that Tim makes me think, I`ve seen a few bassists play wrong lines, but I`d never go up to them and tell them - irrespective of their feelings in the matter, which I`m sure wouldn`t be particularly responsive - as I just wouldn`t feel comfortable doing that.

just about the only time I`ve ever "offered advice" was when I saw my mates band play, and the bassist completely forgot the run in What do I Get by The Buzzcocks, to the point where he was virtually crying with laughter at what he was playing, whilst looking at me and mouthing "I can`t remember it".

In that instance, I was happy to offer advice.
[/quote]

Ha Ha Ha brilliant Lozz
I've been in your mates situation over the years normally when dep'ing and simply not had time to take in all the songs correctly or something distracts you (tall leggy blonde in a mini skirt usually does it for me - female that is) and you just draw a blank - brilliant anf funny when you look back over the years. Even worse when you've written the song and can't remember the bass line - your own damn part. :lol:

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1356085266' post='1906535']

Even worse when you've written the song and can't remember the bass line - your own damn part. :lol:

Dave
[/quote]

I played the intro to the wrong song once. Strangely it was in the right key for the song we were playing but the wrong key to the song the intro was from. The guitarist managed to come in with something but looked puzzled. Then singer just stood there open mouthed at the drummer, guitarist and me happily playing this mashup no one had ever heard before.

Years ago, in my college band, we had a guy say he could "manage" us and get us signed. Turns out the guy just wanted to hang out with us and tell the girls he manages a band. In the end I think our vocalist was rude at him till he went away - Jon was rather good at that.

Then a couple of years later, some punk latched on to us at a gig, wanting to join our band and do Sex Pistols covers - and this bloke was really narked noone was going to give him a chance. Since we were a rap rock act, we said this wasnt really our thing. He was a pretty crazy guy, seemed to enjoy our music though and I guess just wasnt so good in social situations.

You play music, you meet odd people - its part of the fun. :)

EDIT: speling

Edited by Mikey R

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1356085266' post='1906535']
...or something distracts you (tall leggy blonde in a mini skirt usually does it for me - female that is) and you just draw a blank ...
Dave
[/quote]

Played a gig the other week, and the band leader uses a Mac laptop to run keyboard samples, etc. This particular venue I ended up jammed into the corner with the Mac more or less in front of me. Spent more time looking at the pretty pictures on the desktop (cycling wallpapers - 'Oooo look, penguins!') than anything else - no wonder I had a 'vague' gig... :D

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1356089049' post='1906622']
...and you don't think we're odd? ;)
[/quote]

Ive not really played a propper gig for a good few years - in the absense of the crazy punters, I only come here to get my weekly fix of odd. :P

Edited by Mikey R

[quote name='marcblum' timestamp='1356079458' post='1906461']
another example

punk rock gig in a small club. we're builing up the backline, doing some line checks. everythings easy.

a guy shows up: "May I play your guitar?"

"huh?"

"May I play your guitar for the first few songs?"

"You're kiddin'"

guy: stares at me

guy: [i]hates me[/i]

guy: [i]leaves[/i]
[/quote]
Bloody hell! Did the guy have a crack pipe behind his ear as well?

Unfortunately, I've had something similar happen to me before too...

[quote name='Mikey R' timestamp='1356088336' post='1906606']
You play music, you meet odd people - its part of the fun. :)

EDIT: speling
[/quote]

Its a big part of it for me as well.

Had a big, mean looking guy turn up at a gig fairly recently, with guitar in his hand. Didnt want to play, didnt want to sell. But got really agressive when our guitard wouldnt play the second set with it.

[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1356108257' post='1907018']
Its a big part of it for me as well.

Had a big, mean looking guy turn up at a gig fairly recently, with guitar in his hand. Didnt want to play, didnt want to sell. But got really agressive when our guitard wouldnt play the second set with it.
[/quote]

LOL! where do they come from? why would anybody agree to that? for all anybody knows, his guitar is a POS and he might try and run off with the guitarists ACTUAL guitar (which i have heard of people gigging early 70's strats in pubs :o ) while he is playing.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1356111633' post='1907083']
LOL! where do they come from? why would anybody agree to that? for all anybody knows, his guitar is a POS and he might try and run off with the guitarists ACTUAL guitar (which i have heard of people gigging early 70's strats in pubs :o ) while he is playing.
[/quote]

Yeah I had thought of that. It was in Tamworth, so thats where they come from btw :D . and the guitards nice 20 year old gold top might have been at risk of walking out the door.

[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1356115437' post='1907155']
Yeah I had thought of that. It was in Tamworth, so thats where they come from btw :D . and the guitards nice 20 year old gold top might have been at risk of walking out the door.
[/quote]

Haha, why would you play some random guys guitar when you have a 20 year old LP sitting right there? anybody with a guitar that has any value will not be bringing to along to the pub and asking somebody else to play it.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1356118001' post='1907198']
Haha, why would you play some random guys guitar when you have a 20 year old LP sitting right there? anybody with a guitar that has any value will not be bringing to along to the pub and asking somebody else to play it.
[/quote]
He was in Tamworth, that's enough to know. I used to hate going into Tamworth, they are the rudest people I have ever had the displeasure of meeting. Obviously there are exceptions (he says, covering his arse because there is at least one person on here from there, who seems relatively normal as far as I can tell) but I have personally never met a single likeable person from there. It was a bloke from Tamworth that stole my old Shure microphone. "I'll sing in your band", says he. "Can I borrow a microphone?" He asks. "Sure", says I. "Where did he go?" I wonder.

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1356118527' post='1907209']
He was in Tamworth, that's enough to know. I used to hate going into Tamworth, they are the rudest people I have ever had the displeasure of meeting. Obviously there are exceptions (he says, covering his arse because there is at least one person on here from there, who seems relatively normal as far as I can tell) but I have personally never met a single likeable person from there. It was a bloke from Tamworth that stole my old Shure microphone. "I'll sing in your band", says he. "Can I borrow a microphone?" He asks. "Sure", says I. "Where did he go?" I wonder.
[/quote]

Sorry, my knowledge of english geography and demographics is very poor :(

But i know how it goes.

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1355751551' post='1902146']
I played a gig (as a guitarist in this case) which was a wedding reception in the grounds of a big house. About 1/2 hour into the gig this angry looking bloke brandishing an axe comes and stands right in front of us. Turned out he was the farmer next door and was intent on cutting our cables to make us stop playing so loud.
[/quote]

Had a similar experience a couple of yearsback..turns out it was the singers ex missus :lol:

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1356118527' post='1907209']
[/quote]

Yep. I live about 5 miles from there, played there a lot, and I couldnt agree more.

Funnily enough, i have an old Unidyne that still works great, cant for the life of me rememeber where it came from.. :o

[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1356183667' post='1907719']
Yep. I live about 5 miles from there, played there a lot, and I couldnt agree more.

Funnily enough, i have an old Unidyne that still works great, cant for the life of me rememeber where it came from.. :o
[/quote]
I used to live in Nuneaton, which is about 17 miles from Tamworth. By the time I got out of Nuneaton that place had turned to sh*te too, even the kids from the posh areas aspired to be chavs. So glad to be away from there.

One of our regulars is a cross-dressing guy. He gets tackled up in a skirt, blouse and high heels and boogies like crazy. I am so used to him that it doesn't seem odd any more. Another guy we have is "Acid Jeff" - completely whacky dance moves and always off his head. And finally i give you the fan that we have called "Prog Rock" who regails us with tails of prog bands he saw in the seventies.

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1356194232' post='1907825']
One of our regulars is a cross-dressing guy. He gets tackled up in a skirt, blouse and high heels and boogies like crazy. I am so used to him that it doesn't seem odd any more. Another guy we have is "Acid Jeff" - completely whacky dance moves and always off his head. And finally i give you the fan that we have called "Prog Rock" who regails us with tails of prog bands he saw in the seventies.
[/quote]

You haven't had the guy that thinks crawling around the dance floor is a dance move yet then? (You've just had every other one :D)