Why become a member? ×

chocolate starfish in the pub.....

bassintheface

I think the point is you get people like this all the time at gigs. They big themselves up and usually actually believe they are far better than they are. Which is why my original post was so strong.

A few years ago we were playing a gig. There was a guy taking photos and talking to lots of other people in the pub, seemed to be very well known locally. At the end of the gig he comes over and introduces himself. He's a journalist and bass player and asks if it's OK if he can do a review of the band.

Sure, no problem, we get chatting. He's played on recordings for Tim Rice and Andrew Lloyd webber, depped for lots of different bands and played in West End theatres. Then he starts telling me how I had been playing certain lines in some songs wrongly that night. Fair enough, strange thing for him to point out, music is music, but listen politely anyway.

A few months later I saw him playing in a band locally. I wondered if he was actually the same guy. His skills that night certainly didn't match his CV.

Edited by TimR

Seeing that Tim makes me think, I`ve seen a few bassists play wrong lines, but I`d never go up to them and tell them - irrespective of their feelings in the matter, which I`m sure wouldn`t be particularly responsive - as I just wouldn`t feel comfortable doing that.

just about the only time I`ve ever "offered advice" was when I saw my mates band play, and the bassist completely forgot the run in What do I Get by The Buzzcocks, to the point where he was virtually crying with laughter at what he was playing, whilst looking at me and mouthing "I can`t remember it".

In that instance, I was happy to offer advice.

OP, you don't really come across very well in that post at all.

So the guy is a bit of a bore, and lacks tact. So he doesn't play as big gigs as you do. It would be one thing to politely tell him there is no place for him on stage, and another thing altogether to come onto the internet and post a lengthy post about your own perceived self worth, how much of a dick he is, how much gear he has, and all the while crawling around your guitarist mate's arses.

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1355835970' post='1903321']
OP, you don't really come across very well in that post at all.

So the guy is a bit of a bore, and lacks tact. So he doesn't play as big gigs as you do. It would be one thing to politely tell him there is no place for him on stage, and another thing altogether to come onto the internet and post a lengthy post about your own perceived self worth, how much of a dick he is, how much gear he has, and all the while crawling around your guitarist mate's arses.
[/quote]

+1 I'm afraid.

Also,
[quote/]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I think this sums him up perfectly - "Jimmy Page was 21 when he wrote 'Stairway to Heaven', I could play it when I was 18 - I think that says a lot..."[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][/quote][/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Is lifted from somewhere- possibly Spinal Tap so it suggest he may be having some fun with you[/font][/color]

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1355829852' post='1903191']
A few months later I saw him playing in a band locally. I wondered if he was actually the same guy. His skills that night certainly didn't match his CV.
[/quote]

Was it his regular band though? Was it a very short notice depping gig that didn't give him time to properly prepare? I'm not saying you are wrong in your assessment but I think we all have to think before we start throwing stones. Personally I wouldn't have a go at someone about their playing after a gig like this guy did with you though so I can understand your grievance.
Had an embrarassing moment the other day at a jam session. Someone got up and wanted to do 'Angels' and I realised after starting playing it I'd forgotten most of it (not played it since one of my previous bands split in 2006). Another bass player nipped up and reminded me of the bits I was struggling with over my shoulder as i was carrying on with it. I later apologised to the singer and hoped it didn't throw him off. He looked completely bemused and said he didn't hear anything wrong with what I was playing at all!

[quote name='chaypup' timestamp='1355836226' post='1903327']
+1 I'm afraid.

Also,
[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Is lifted from somewhere- possibly Spinal Tap so it suggest he may be having some fun with you[/font][/color]
[/quote]

he didn't say that to me!!

That's me using a phrase to sum him up!!

Each to their own - he's a tool. It's over now, I've had my moan.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1355832029' post='1903253']
I`ve seen a few bassists play wrong lines, but I`d never go up to them and tell them
[/quote]

If you want to tell me about my wrong (actually, I prefer "different") lines, the back of the queue's out the pub, and up past the butchers :)

Edited by barkin

I had a guy come up to me at a gig the other week - he was mortal drunk - he didn't take very kindly to me, for some reason and kept saying that the only reason I chose to play bass is because it is easier than the guitar!

I just said "Yeah mate, that's why" and walked off. What a mouthbreather.....

[quote name='barkin' timestamp='1355837560' post='1903356']
If you want to tell me about my wrong (actually, I prefer "different") lines, the back of the queue's out the pub, and up past the butchers :)
[/quote]

You play all the right notes, just not neccesarily in the right order!.....

[quote name='chaypup' timestamp='1355836226' post='1903327']
+1 I'm afraid.

Also,
[quote] "Jimmy Page was 21 when he wrote 'Stairway to Heaven', I could play it when I was 18 - I think that says a lot..."[/quote]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Is lifted from somewhere- possibly Spinal Tap [/font][/color]
[/quote]

The Comic Strip's wonderful 'Bad News' actually.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1355837022' post='1903344']

Was it his regular band though? Was it a very short notice depping gig that didn't give him time to properly prepare? I'm not saying you are wrong in your assessment but I think we all have to think before we start throwing stones. Personally I wouldn't have a go at someone about their playing after a gig like this guy did with you though so I can understand your grievance.
[/quote]

I don't have grievances. He didn't exactly have a go, just pointed out that some lines were wrong/not as per the original. Even at one point telling me I should use a pick and select the P pickup for one song. That's just beyond belief for a bank holiday pub gig. I could have pointed out that because the drummer was dire, the original line wouldn't have fitted, but opted instead to just smile politely and do his 'interview'. He's well into his 60s and playing standards that even I in my early 40s would have trouble playing badly. It wasn't wrong notes, we all do that, it was just bad, sloppy playing.

Anyway my point is, you meet all sorts of characters, letting them wind you up or believing other musicians are inferior for whatever reason isn't good for anyone.

The guy had apparently recorded with Tim Rice so something somewhere was wrong.

[quote name='bassintheface' timestamp='1355837079' post='1903345']

Each to their own - he's a tool. It's over now, I've had my moan.
[/quote]

I hope you feel vindicated by this five page rant-a-thon you have went on.

Meanwhile, I suspect the truth of the matter is rather somewhere in the middle, as it often tends to be. This 'idiot guitarist' is probably off somewhere, having a good time whilst you're concerning yourself with slagging him off to what you probably anticipated would be a wholly appreciative and agreeable audience. Lets face it, we've all met 'him'.

It's probably worth remembering the old advanced driver adage: 'you're never as good as you think you are'. I'm sure there are plenty of professional musicians out there who have seen your band and think you're total hacks, that you were sh*t, that your sound sucks, that your two guitarists (who you spent so much time giving the metaphorical fellatio on page one) were dire and couldn't keep up in a Sex Pistols tribute band, that the singer was off key and the bassist was self indulgent, ugly, talentless and was repelling women away from the stage. But then I'm sure anyone who has spent some time at corporate functions has seen a wealth of useless 'corporate' bands who absolutely reek but think they are awesome.

I can sort of see why people think the OP was bigging his band up and showing off, but it looked to me like he was just setting the scene, saying "We've done a lot of good stuff, we get one well together, I respect their skills and others' obviously do too, else we wouldn't have been able to do the stuff we have.". Otherwise, it's possible to believe that the tosser with an attitude, slagging off the guitarists purely to get himself into the band, might have had a valid opinion. Where as if everything is taken at face value, and there's no reason not to, then it wasn't truly his opinion, just a malicious attack to, somehow, make the band want him over one of their current guitarists.

If it had been me, I'd have just stuck it in the Daily Annoyances thread rather than start a fresh thread about something many others would have experienced, but I can imagine getting in after a night with that goon and wanting to let off a bit of steam. And it's not exactly the OPs fault that it went on for so many pages.

Just a little nit-pick about " Superstition " and guitar solos ;

Stevie Wonder was a child star . All his earnings were held in trust until he was 21 , which also was the time his contract with Motown expired . On reaching that age he declined to renew the contract and finding himself comfortably well off decided to block-book the most advanced studio of the day , Electric Ladyland ( Hendrix's old studio ). Down the corridor in the next studio was Jeff Beck . They used to contribute to each other's albums . One day Stevie wanted to thank Jeff for a guitar track and asked him if he could give him something in return . Jeff replied " Well, I really liked that track you were working on when I arrived ( that day ) " . Stevie said " I can't give you that one , but come back tomorrow and I'll have something for you . ". The next day Stevie gave Jeff " Superstition " . He had written it overnight with guitar in mind . The Jeff Beck Group recorded and released it . Stevie liked the " original " so much that he recorded his "own" version later .

- Sorry for the OT .
Back to Arseholes in pubs ........

[quote name='DaveFry' timestamp='1355917537' post='1904358']

- Sorry for the OT .
Back to Arseholes in pubs ........
[/quote]

Indeed. Do I need to be worried as I play at least 4 Free songs and don't know who played bass on any of them.

In fact I've played thousands of tunes by almost as many artists and would struggle to name 10% of the bass players.

You need to sing this to him:

Don't go changing, to try and please me
You never let me down before
Don't imagine you're too familiar
And I don't see you anymore
I wouldn't leave you in times of trouble
We never could have come this far
I took the good times, I'll take the bad times
I'll take you just the way you are - NOT IN THE BAND, NOW JOG ON

Good luck and let me know how it goes ;-)

Mike

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3][b]
chaypup, on 18 December 2012 - 01:10 PM, said:[/b][/size][/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]

+1 I'm afraid.

Also,
[b]
Quote[/b]

"Jimmy Page was 21 when he wrote 'Stairway to Heaven', I could play it when I was 18 - I think that says a lot..."Is lifted from somewhere- possibly Spinal Tap [/size][/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The Comic Strip's wonderful 'Bad News' actually.[/font][/color]

You may well be right, but I first heard it from Neil in "The Young Ones", (around 1982/3)

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1355925105' post='1904544']

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3][b]chaypup, on 18 December 2012 - 01:10 PM, said:[/b][/size][/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]+1 I'm afraid.

Also,

[b]Quote[/b]

"Jimmy Page was 21 when he wrote 'Stairway to Heaven', I could play it when I was 18 - I think that says a lot..."Is lifted from somewhere- possibly Spinal Tap [/size][/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The Comic Strip's wonderful 'Bad News' actually.[/font][/color]

You may well be right, but I first heard it from Neil in "The Young Ones", (around 1982/3)
[/quote]

Nigel Planer who played Neil in the Young Ones played Den Denis in Bad News. Adrian Edmonson played Vyvian in the Young Ones and Vim Fuego in Bad News.

Vim Fuego: I could play "Stairway To Heaven" when I was 12. Jimmy Page didn't actually write it until he was 22. I think that says quite a lot.