Why become a member? ×

chocolate starfish in the pub.....

bassintheface

Yeh - something similar happened to me last year with the bass player from another band. He kept turning up at rehearsals (at the time we rehearsed in the back room of a pub) and gigs and giving me a hard time about my playing. In the end my wife just about knocked him out and then flung him out of the door of a pub we were playing in. She has her uses :gas:

Just sounds like another prat to me. You get them unfortunately.

not much you can do except tell him once more, firmly and definitively, that he's not needed in your band and that it's not worth asking again.

that's the adult response. if he doesn't want to act like an adult after that, then that's his problem - not yours, not the band's.

Edited by ahpook

I don't get it. Like I like playing football but I don't turn up at Alex Ferguson's office and suggest I could add something extra to the United forward line do I? Why does the cock think a band is any different.

Though I bet his guitars cost more than both your guitarist's rigs. Always the way :)

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1355744218' post='1901987']
not much you can do except tell him once more, firmly and definitively, that he's not needed in your band and that it's not worth asking again.

that's the adult response. if he doesn't want to act like an adult after that, then that's his problem - not yours, not the band's.
[/quote]

Think this is the best approach all round.

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1355744974' post='1902003']
Convince him that his own project would have much better prospects, I mean... your JUST a cover band after all ;) :P
[/quote]

Ha, yeah, maybe I should.but then why would he keep asking to join?!!

Though I bet his guitars cost more than both your guitarist's rigs. Always the way :)
For sure - Steve has a Blues Deville and Matt has a battered Musicman 65 212. As they say - it's all in the fingers!!

[quote name='Spoombung' timestamp='1355744801' post='1902000']
Give him an audition. You might grow to love him.
[/quote]
Don't need him, he's not good enough, he's a massive tw@T and I'll probably end up putting him in the triangle!!

[quote name='tonybassplayer' timestamp='1355744918' post='1902001']

Think you may just have found the holy grail !!
[/quote]
Yes I have! They're ace and we have a right laugh - we've all got our 'nuances' but it's all good. We went to 6th form together, we're mates and they're all ace - got all the technique and chops you need but know when to use it and how!! We're all married with kids now and they call us Uncle whatever. It's great.

They don't use their powers for evil!!

TBH, it's not worth getting wound up about if you are in such a good stable band.

Next time, just say

Option 1 :- "We have been through this a few times now and the bands stable, and we are all good mates so we don't need anyone else thanks, and unless Joe Satriani turns up one night and asks to jam with us, that ain't going to happen either"

Option 2 :- "We have been through this a few times now ain't we. The answer is no and nothing is going to change so please stop asking"

Option 3 :- F*ck Off !

I had this situation in my first band and first gig about 28 years ago in Wales. I few of us at Dyfed College of Art had put a band together for an ents night at the college, but one guy really wanted to be the singer (we already had one) and for some reason it was left to me to keep telling him he couldn't be the singer, despite his angry protestations that he was better than our singer and should be in the band.

A few weeks later, on the day of the gig, a few people started telling me this twat wanted to beat the sh*t out of me after the show. I didn't take this TOO seriously but then even the guys in the band were telling me this and said he really means it, he's a nutter with mental health problems. Thanks guys. I am not a fighter and this made me really f***ing nervous, nauseous, like I was at school with the bully rumours of a beating later. We did the show and this prick was near the stage watching me. So my first gig was NOT a pleasure.

I went to the dressing room after the show, funny no-one else in the band joined me isn't it. Then this prick comes in, clamps his hand on my throat and starts telling me I'm a worthless f*** and I should have let him sing. After about half an hour of this I'd managed to calm him down and he said I wasn't f***ing worth it, and loads of other sh*t. He left, cursing. Then the rest of the band came in! What a bunch of f***ing c**ts! I dishonoured myself by playing with them for a while after that too! I should have given them merry f***ing hell and cast them from my life.

Edited by silddx

We played a Bikers Rally a few years ago and this HUGE biker comes up to our guitar player, looked him square in the eye (we were on a 3 foot tall stage and I swear they were eye to eye) and said "play f*ckin' Dancing Queen - or else". The rest of the band (myself included) found our way to the other side of the stage. He wouldn't let it go. "Play f*ckin' Dancing Queen".....This went on for around 5 minutes whilst said guitarest was sh*ting himself and trying to play through the set. We cast the occasional glance to see how things were going (some strage notes were emiting from his amp) until eye contact was made where we all just looked away again. Eventually Biker squares up to him, full on in the face and says "nah - only joking mate" and pats him on the back. I swear there were some brown trousers on that stage that night.