Why become a member? ×

Who inspired you to learn bass ?

The Hat

[quote name='Len_derby' timestamp='1355348806' post='1897344']
Colin Hodgkinson for me too. I first saw him with Back Door around the time of their first album. In a sweaty club in Derby called Cleopatra's. I've still got a bootleg on cassette of a subsequent gig they did at the same place.
[/quote]great player, he was at one of our gigs bout 10 yrs ago at the flowerpot in Derby, got chatting to him, didnt have a clue who he was only that he played for whitesnake. And yes i did start the first song in the wrong key with "bomber" hodgkinson watching me.. Ouch!!

[quote name='MarkWJenkins' timestamp='1355308770' post='1896597']
When I first heard Steve Harris playing on one of my parents old Maiden records (cannot for the life of me remember which though!) when I was about 10 years old, I knew I wanted to play bass, it just resonated with me for some unknown reason (even though I had no clue what a bass guitar was at that time). After convincing my parents to buy me a bass for christmas not long after that moment, my journey began. Still don't like Precisions though for some reason haha!
[/quote]

You know you are getting old when people are talking about their [i][b]parents[/b] [/i]Iron Maiden records . I remember when Maiden records were what you played to [i]annoy [/i]your parents .

Was my dad first lol.Then has to be Johann Sebastian Bach the ultimate bassist ever,great emotion,mood and the best bass root structures come from him,B flat and E flat keys sound the best to me.Then Scott Thunes and Shuggy Otis with Zappa.Tony Levin,Stanley Clarke,Marcus Miller,Victor Wooten,Bootsie,and Jaco.I dig rock too... Geddy,Jack Bruce,Billy Sheehan and Phillip Bynoe all who do vocals live too that makes a big difference to most others to me.Family man and Lloyd Parkes for reggae because he`s the lead singer too,it`s not easy singing and playing reggae.Norman Watt Roy with Dury yeah great lines fast and groovey but plays out of time twice on new boots and panties which let`s the album down for me.
I know he`s a keys player but Jan Hammer would have made a top bassist in my mind as the moog lines he plays transpose really well,I started on keys and brass myself before strings.

Initially, Mr Orton, my GCSE music teacher at school.
He bought a bass for the school orchestra after I said that I wanted to learn to play the guitar - his point of view was that it'd be better if the school bought a bass then I'd have something to learn on without having to buy anything and then the school would have a bassist.
At the time I was the school's only GCSE music pupil (I had to fight for it) so my thoughts managed to get to the top quite quickly!

Another One Bites The Dust was the first line I learned / picked up so John Deacon was my first inspiration, then it was Flea, Flea, Flea, Flea and more Flea.. Then Jaco & John Paul Jones.

Jeremy Cunningham from the Levellers. Just the energy he puts out on stage made me realise that not all bass players are solitary stoic personlities.

I rarely take any more influence from a player other than presence,personality and approach to playing the bass

I have no idea. I can't remember the 'I want to play bass moment'. I remember wanting to buy one when I was 17 (it was ordered when I got my first pay packet) but have absolutely no recollection of what, or who, drew me to it. I remember an old Bell's Music catalogue that had guitars and basses in and I remember looking longingly at the basses rather than the guitars but why? I haven't a scooby....