Why become a member? ×

Oasis - Whats The Story Morning Glory Album

Hobbayne

Been asked to do some Oasis stuff for an upcoming Christmas party, and had a listen to that album just now, and the bass totally sucks.
Theres some nice chord work going on here in some numbers giving the opportunity for some nice crafted lines. Instead all we get are rooted chords, which leads me to believe that a guitarist played bass on the album, as this is typical of guitarists who pick up a bass. I cant believe a bass player couldnt string together a few passing notes.
Sorry for the rant, but I,m not a big Oasis fan <_<

Edited by Hobbayne

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1355173403' post='1895081']
I cant believe a bass player couldnt string together a few passing notes.
[/quote]

I can believe it. 'Guigsy' didn't exactly have any chops,and was probably told not to
do anything other than roots anyway. In fairness, it worked in context but the fact
that he did nothing post Oasis says quite a bit too.
I actually like the first 2 Oasis albums.

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1355173912' post='1895097']
I can believe it. 'Guigsy' didn't exactly have any chops,and was probably told not to
do anything other than roots anyway. In fairness, it worked in context but the fact
that he did nothing post Oasis says quite a bit too.
I actually like the first 2 Oasis albums.
[/quote]

According to the Producer/Engineer for What's the Story, Owen Morris, quoted in Sound On Sound magazine Nov 2012:

"Noel would usually put the bass down. I thing Guigs played bass on a few tracks, but God bless him, he wasn't the greatest musician in the world. So, although he was really good live, it was just quicker for Noel to do one or two takes on the bass, with drop-ins here and there relating to the timing. . ."

From the horse's mouth, so to speak.

FWIW, I don't really get Oasis either.

Edited by RalphDWilson

Musicians talk about Oasis like it's a crime to like them sometimes. Their first two albums were really great, especially Definitely Maybe, Noel Gallagher can write a song, no question.

Have to agree on the bass parts being totally balls though. I suppose they were never about the bass. Andy Bell was (is) a good bass player though IMO.

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1355175088' post='1895126']
Musicians talk about Oasis like it's a crime to like them sometimes. Their first two albums were really great, especially Definitely Maybe, Noel Gallagher can write a song, no question.

Have to agree on the bass parts being totally balls though. I suppose they were never about the bass.
[/quote]

Totally agree. Some very good songs on those albums and I shouldn't think anyone in the audience will be listening out for a note-for-note bass line at a Christmas party. Well, except the sad git on his own in the corner, obviously.

I used to wonder what the fuss was about & what my ears weren't picking up; then I saw Liam's copying every single mannerism of Ian Brown's and realised that I wasn't missing anything.
After the first split I remember seeing an j'view with Bonehead who said he wasn't allowed to play more than basic chords with the band at any time.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1355176169' post='1895151']
Totally agree. Some very good songs on those albums and I shouldn't think anyone in the audience will be listening out for a note-for-note bass line at a Christmas party.[/quote]

Exactly, but It makes a bit more enjoyable for the bassist to play something a bit more challenging dontcha-think?

I must confess I haven't played them for years (queue comments about not being the only one!) but I thought they were a good band back in the day. They were the soundtrack to a generation which is more than most of us manage. Granted people were unlikely to get the bassist mixed up with Dr. Funkenstein but it fitted the music. I'm not surprised to learn it was Noel playing.

But let the record show I always preferred Pulp & Supergrass. B)

[size=5][sup]spare me a thought then! I'm the bassist in an Oasis tribute and the bassline to virtually every song is root note strumming! very very boring! apparently Noel used to go in the studio after the bassist had laid his parts down and delete them and play bass himself so Noel is on bass on the majority of tracks on the first few albums. That would explain why the basslines are so cack![/sup][/size]

To my mind, 'Definitely maybe' at the time was a breath of fresh, attitude-driven air - the nearest thing to 'Never Mind The Bollocks' I had heard in years. Furthermore there were some very melodic, memorable tracks that still stand the test of time (Live Forever, Slide Away etc). While most fans revere it, I already thought the rot set in with 'Morning Glory' (can't stand their 'epic' Champagne Supernova for example and I hate Noel's nasal voice on 'Don't look back in anger', Liam's voice is waaaaayy better). Bass lines were always a bit meh because they were totally secondary and Noel was in charge (I recall he used to tell Guigsy which bass he could use based purely on image).

To me, Oasis's key strength was memorable tunes, and you'll find at least one good one on every album. That's why I pick them up at charity shops and car boots rather than pay full price!

I worked out the bass-line for Cigarettes & Alcohol note-for-note for a previous band, and there [i]are[/i] some runs connecting the straight-8s root note sections. I agree though, there is not a lot of 'great bass' on there. By contrast, listen to any Bowie album and you'll hear brilliant, inventive bass-lines by brilliant, inventive players!

I love Oasis. As Mentioned earlier, Noel wrote some fantastic songs, and that's what the band is all about / the tunes.

The bass parts on the early albums are not worth talking about. But to be honest, I'd rather listen to the Oasis albums than listen to something from one if the musician-magazine lauded artists like Matthew Garrison and suchlike.