Why become a member? ×

Oasis - Whats The Story Morning Glory Album

Hobbayne

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1355214481' post='1895346']
To my mind, 'Definitely maybe' at the time was a breath of fresh, attitude-driven air - the nearest thing to 'Never Mind The Bollocks' I had heard in years. Furthermore there were some very melodic, memorable tracks that still stand the test of time (Live Forever, Slide Away etc). While most fans revere it, I already thought the rot set in with 'Morning Glory' (can't stand their 'epic' Champagne Supernova for example and I hate Noel's nasal voice on 'Don't look back in anger', Liam's voice is waaaaayy better). ...
[/quote]

Exactly.

Yeah, Oasis are about the songs, especially Liam's voice (which was great) and the wall of sound guitars.

Noel played the bass on all of Definately Maybe and most of What's the Story. I had a quick peek of Tony Carrols biog in WHS and he said Guigsy was a bit wobbly lived but he managed to work with that, but in a studio it didn't cut so Noel deleted all the tracks and did them himself.

We do Cigs & Alchohol and TBH I made my own bassline up that I enjoy playing.

Best not to mention Oasis & basslines in the same sentance.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1355215825' post='1895361']
By contrast, listen to any Bowie album and you'll hear brilliant, inventive bass-lines by brilliant, inventive players!
[/quote]

To be fair, that wouldn't be the first comparison to spring to mind ...

If you like a song and your band does covers then it shouldn't matter how challenging or otherwise the individual parts are. It's the song that matters. Play it well so that the audience enjoys it, because ultimately that's the most important thing.

Oasis were alway first and foremost about Liam's voice and Noel's guitar and songwriting. Everything else was very much secondary. That's how it is. Get over it.

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1355175350' post='1895131']
I like Oasis. Everybody thinks I'm joking when i tell them this :lol:
[/quote]

Agree with this. I have been in bands when it`s almost a sin to suggest we do one of their songs. They were a good rockin band and the music goes down well in the pub and to me this is what matters.

I think Noel`s HFB album was great as well. :P

Well the first album was an absolute classic 'first album' if you know what i mean. Loved it, but definitely no bass parts at all. The rest of Oasis albums were awful. Stopped liking them after Noel started his anthem writing phase. IE: When the second album came out, and Wonderwall and all that bollocks. . I just couldn't get past wanting to hack Liam Gallagher into little pieces. Nobody laughed longer than me when Liam and his boys started a fight that time in a Russian nightclub and got the living crap beaten out of them, after teasing some guys who they thought were just some idiots, the 'idiots' threw drinks over them and Liam's mob then attacked them. Only to be dragged back and pummeled into oblivion by the bodyguards of the Russian mobsters who they had unknowingly started a fight with. I remember seeing pictures of them with bloated faces, black eyes and no teeth. Trying to hide under hats. Liam had to be flown home for emergency dental surgery.

Noels new band seem OK, and Noel seems a decent bloke now he is not having to constantly stick up for his brain dead hanger on brother, and his stupid childish antics. Liam would be in living in a nappy stinking Burnham council flat with a white legged slapper (when he wast in prison) Without his brother Noel.

Ah I feel better now I have got that out.

In conclusion. Oasis. = Terrible band, classic first album, no bass on it to speak of. The rest of the Oasis catalogue sucks.

ps: Noel says that with Oasis, the thing he hated most about the first album, was this. Every time Oasis released a new album people would say to him. "Whats it like? Is it as good as Definitely Maybe ?" Inferring that no matter how many albums he's done, nothing was ever as good as the first one. :)

Edited by daz

What's funny is that everyone I know who has met Noel and Liam (quite a few connections through their drummer Chris Sharrock) say that Liam is far easier, downright pleasant in fact to talk to in comparison to Noel, who I know can be incredibly difficult. Public perception would suggest that this is the other way round.

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1355173403' post='1895081']
Been asked to do some Oasis stuff for an upcoming Christmas party, and had a listen to that album just now, and the bass totally sucks.
Theres some nice chord work going on here in some numbers giving the opportunity for some nice crafted lines. Instead all we get are rooted chords, which leads me to believe that a guitarist played bass on the album, as this is typical of guitarists who pick up a bass. I cant believe a bass player couldnt string together a few passing notes.
[/quote]

Ive not read the thread so this may have already been said but ..

Andy bell later played bass with them and he is a fantastic guitar player, YouTube some live stuff from the album in question with him playing bass and I'd bet you'll hear some lovely extras, I could be wrong though, sometimes basic playing is what is needed.

Edited by lojo

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1355258898' post='1896150']
Ive not read the thread so this may have already been said but ..

[b]Andy bell[/b] later played bass with them and he is a fantastic guitar player, YouTube some live stuff from the album in question with him playing bass and I'd bet you'll hear some lovely extras, I could be wrong though, sometimes basic playing is what is needed.
[/quote]

He's was quite good in Erasure.

Edited by Marvin

[quote name='kevin_lindsay' timestamp='1355219255' post='1895403']
I love Oasis. As Mentioned earlier, Noel wrote some fantastic songs, and that's what the band is all about / the tunes.

The bass parts on the early albums are not worth talking about. But to be honest, I'd rather listen to the Oasis albums than listen to something from one if the musician-magazine lauded artists like Matthew Garrison and suchlike.
[/quote]
"Guigsy" was featured on the cover of Bassist at the time of the band's height. Interestingly, they never kept up their coverage of his playing, though they deemed him worthy of the cover at the time.

Edited by arthurhenry

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1355257076' post='1896104']
What's funny is that everyone I know who has met Noel and Liam (quite a few connections through their drummer Chris Sharrock) say that Liam is far easier, downright pleasant in fact to talk to in comparison to Noel, who I know can be incredibly difficult. Public perception would suggest that this is the other way round.
[/quote]

No 1 to this ^ its absolutely true, I done a few tours with them back in the day and the public perception in my view has them the wrong way round.

To add to the above. An old friend ended up going out with a girl, who's sister was guigsys partner. He said bonehead was the best of the bunch, never really said anything about Noel (which i think said a lot, although he ended up making Noel some blue meany sculptures for supernova height's) And that Liam was a great guy, who mainly acted up for the press. This was all around what's the story morning glory time, he spent a lot of time in london going out to the ivy with liam and patsy. And rarely had to pay for anything.