Why become a member? ×

Yet another band thread..Gig drama.

jackers

So, I played the first gig with my new band tonight.

I get to the venue with my bass, Landmark head and 1x15 Ampeg cab, really excited to be gigging again. I then see the two guitarists loading in with full marshall stacks, (100W vintage modern heads, 2 4x12 cabs each), and my heart sinks.... I try to dismiss it, but I know exactly what is going to happen.

We all start setting up, I D.I. into the PA and get a really nice SVT sound within 30 seconds that both me and the sound engineer love. The guitarists then set their rigs up and do a level check. They are both way too loud and the engineer asks them to turn down, to which they reply, (I bet you can guess), "No way, I need the master volume on at least 6 or 7 to get my tone! Can't you just get rid of these stupid mics on the cabs, they are useless anyway."

The sound engineer then tries to explain to them that the mics are very useful for dispersion and EQing for the room to remove unwanted frequencies, but they have none of it and insist that they must have their volume high or they won't play.

After about 15 minutes of arguing, the engineer shakes his head, throws his hands up and says, "Fine, go for it." The guitarists smile and quietly say to me, "We get this at every gig." (I can't imagine why.... <_<). I gritted my teeth and we got on with the gig, (which was actually ok once you got used to the ear-splitting guitar volume).

Afterwards we were outside talking, and I suggest maybe downsizing their rigs to one 4x12 and a lower wattage (possibly switchable) head. Ofcourse this was met with cries of "Everything below 100W sounds cr*p" and "Big rigs and rock and roll" etc etc. They were slightly more receptive when I told them that a less powerful amp meant they could drive the power stage harder, but they still wouldn't agree to it. <_<

So here I am back at home feeling very annoyed at the guitarists, and ashamed that I had to play a gig infront of people who had seen the guitarists acting like such spoilt brats.

It may sound silly, but this experience upset me. I have been band-less for so long...I finally find a really talented band who write great music and love band practices, only to find out they turn into total twunts when they are asked to turn down.

I'm not being unreasonable right? :P

rant over, haha.

Organise at the end of each gig for a member to come up and ask how you got the bass to sound so huge.

'I keep the volume down on stage so that well over 1000w can crush these puny guitarists, mwahahaha.

PS. I feel that the evil laugh IS needed in this situation

Can't see that you're going to change their outlook as well as their gear, so I think you'd got two choices: 1) stay, try to ignore their attitude and buy some good earplugs! 2) Leave (make sure you tell them why!)

I think it's only worth staying if you REALLy like the music.

Sigh :rolleyes:

You know you have two options don't you.

Buy earplugs and let them get on with it.

Become the grit in the oyster until you get some compromise.

The trouble is they have too much invested in their Marshall stacks both emotionally and financially to change easily. They've dreamed since they were little boys about standing in front of these things with their guitars singing and this is living the dream.

I've learnt that it's never a good idea to argue with the soundman. If they keep up the attitude, then the band (not just the guitarists) will get a reputation not only at this venue, but also others that the same soundman works at. If the band finds itself without a repeat booking at the venue you've mentioned, you'll have a good idea why. Sorry to sound negative, but this has happened to me in the past!

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1353747470' post='1877978']
Sigh :rolleyes:

The trouble is they have too much invested in their Marshall stacks both emotionally and financially to change easily. They've dreamed since they were little boys about standing in front of these things with their guitars singing and this is living the dream.
[/quote]

yes very much this

and how VERY DARE YOU even contemplate sullying their beautiful luxurious tones with your woolly old bass :P

[quote name='voxpop' timestamp='1353742671' post='1877955']
If it was me I would leave and tell them why.

You could always fine another band or form your own with like minded people.
[/quote]
I agree but remember that I did this and 18 months later my own band still trying to find a permanent singer and haven't gigged.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1353752234' post='1878047']
Just one of those cabs is overkill for most gigs I have been there many times like everyone else, I can't imagine what a pair of them on both sides of the stage would be like!
I would probably walk but take the vocalist and drummer with me, the guitarists are the easiest to replace anyway :P
[/quote]
Yes.

I feel the pain. Our lead guitarist has just bought an identical rig. Evidently there's a load unit that can be connected to allow the controls to be higher, driving the amp hard while not going to silly volume levels.

If the OP is like me and lives somewhere band opportunities aren't abundant there are times you have to put up with this nonsense.

We are struggling trying to find a singer and I can see it falling down around my ears again :(

[quote name='GreeneKing' timestamp='1353754209' post='1878075']
I feel the pain. Our lead guitarist has just bought an identical rig. Evidently there's a load unit that can be connected to allow the controls to be higher, driving the amp hard while not going to silly volume levels.
[/quote]

Power soaks only work if speaker break-up isn't an important part of the guitar sound.