Why become a member? ×

Recommend me a 2x12 cabinet....

Twigman

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1353538546' post='1875948']
The Barefaced Super12 is an obvious answer.

There is also a Bergantino HD212 in the FS section.

You won’t get better than either of those.
[/quote]

My opinion is that yes you will.

Oh, with what?

EAD Foundation 212.

Doesn't the EAD 2 x 12 and Bergantino 2 x 12 use the same drivers? Indeed, I think the Schroeder uses them as well. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this.

I think only the Barefaced Super 12 uses the Kappalites which are a higher specification driver and more expensive to buy but give a higher output.

It's something worth considering when deciding to shell out your hard-earned cash.

frank.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1353542153' post='1875992']
Bergantino have speakers made to their spec.
[/quote]

In the case of the neos that's based, I believe, around a Deltalite magnet/frame ie the same one as the EADs/many others. Doesn't mean they'll all sound the same but they'll all be in the same ballpark in terms of maximum output.
Barefaced and Vanderkley (edit: Baer as well, forgot about them) are using the most powerful 12" drivers in commercial bass cabs that I know of. Whether you need that volume and power handling is another matter, a pair of 12" Em Deltalites, or B&C hpl/cl series as used by Markbass will go very loud indeed with 350 watts behind them! If you don't care about weight then there's more options still.

Edited by LawrenceH

The diameter of the speakers is probably the least important factor in how a cab will sound.

What's the thinking behind wanting a 2x12 cab? If it because you've heard one you like then buy that one because it's unlikely that any other 2x12 cab will sound the same. If it's to do with size then look at at any cab of the same size irrespective of the speakers in it.

Ultimately you are going to need to try the cab with your bass and amp to find the right one for you.

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1353529330' post='1875743']
EBS Neoline 2x12. I love mine so much I'm going to be buried in it, so it's not for sale.
[/quote]
Me too. I have two of them. The only way I can imagine improving on them is by building something that no other manufacturer is willing to offer, including Claber...neo wedge triads!

Unless you have a massive need for HUGE volume, massive output, and lightweight, then the new ultra powerful 12" speakers are not always the best choice. I would choose in this order:

Tone
Cost
Portability
Aesthestics

The new 12" neo drivers as described above really can cover a lot of ground, but they will also cost you a lot for what is essentially two speakers in a box, with wiring, crossover, horn/mid driver. We are currently paying through the roof for these high end speakers, and all that will happen is that another breed of super cabs will come along, and you will lose a lot of money getting the latest and greatest.

If you have a lot of money to throw at it, go for it!

Personally, I have the 2x12 area covered with an Aguilar DB212 which sounds fabulous. I would like to try the new Genz Benz Faital loaded NX2 2x12, but I think that is just GAS talking. Whether I would prefer it to the Aggie is a difficult question!

Edited by Musicman20

[size=5][sub]I don't actually sunscribe to the notion there aren't certain characteristics from certain chassis...[/sub][/size]

[size=5][sub]If you only get 3.5khz as your upper limit before a huige drop-off in response, you can kind of guess where the bias of that chassis will do its work..[/sub][/size]

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1353580848' post='1876219']
[size=5][sub]I don't actually sunscribe to the notion there aren't certain characteristics from certain chassis...[/sub][/size]

[size=5][sub]If you only get 3.5khz as your upper limit before a huige drop-off in response, you can kind of guess where the bias of that chassis will do its work..[/sub][/size]
[/quote]

Can you post some links to proof for this please?

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1353595844' post='1876403']
look at any chassis spec sheet .
[/quote]

20 years ago you'd have probably been right regarding bass cabs, but speaker technology and cab design has come a long way since then. Having just spent some time on the Eminence web site looking at speaker spec sheets you can see a slightly sharper earlier drop off in frequency response on some of the larger units, but by far more interesting is where the peaks in frequency response are which isn't very much related to cone diameter.

Also in the real world speakers don't exist in isolation, but are mounted in various combinations in different sized and designed enclosures with crossovers and tweeters etc. All of these factors will have an effect on how the cab sounds (and that's the important thing, not how a individual speaker performs). That's why I say ignore the size of the speakers and look at the overall size of the cab, and ultimately use your ears.