Why become a member? ×

Which Fender Custom Shop Bass if Money Wasn't a Factor?

molan

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1352987793' post='1870176']
Ah, but does it have [i]that[/i] sound?
[/quote]

My slab body is all finished, packaged, and with USPS mid-Atlantic as we speak, should be with me in the next couple of days, so I can start the assembly of my 'slab'. Will be interesting to see how [i]it[/i] sounds! All components are as the original, with many of them from '66, so we'll see!

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1352989914' post='1870223']
My slab body is all finished, packaged, and with USPS mid-Atlantic as we speak, should be with me in the next couple of days, so I can start the assembly of my 'slab'. Will be interesting to see how [i]it[/i] sounds! All components are as the original, with many of them from '66, so we'll see!
[/quote] quite exciting that!

P bass wise.... I would go for... well I don't know much that would top my current P bass, so we'll keep that...

Jazz bass.... my dream jazz would be a dakota (or candy apple) red with maple neck, white pickguard. Dunno why- the 50th anniversary jazz looked pretty nice.
Part of me thinks though that if I did go the custom route and I wasn't too hung up on it saying fender on the headstock I would go for a local UK or EU builder.

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1352989914' post='1870223']
[/quote]

Yep, eagerly awaiting the outcome of this one Rick.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1352984024' post='1870094']
Can someone clarify exactly what you get with a Fender CS instrument. Is it a combination of standard Fender features to your spec that doesn't exist in any of the current production models or is there something more?
[/quote]

My understanding is that all CS basses are made in a separate part of the factory in Corona by a special team of their very best builders. They have access to a series of genuine vintage templates and stuff plus the very best woods Fender can source.

You can actually see this team at work as part of the factory tour so it's not just Fender marketing hype (although I'm sure there's an element of that).

Some basses are 'team' built which means there's one guy working on a batch of necks, another on bodies etc. For a, hefty, additional fee you can ask for Masterbuilt which means pretty much everything is made by a single guy. There's a belief that this personal attention to detail will mean some sort of overall higher quality but I've yet to be convinced of this.

There are a range of CS instruments built every year to a set of standard specs & they all will be more or less the same (obviously each piece of wood is going to be slightly different so there will be some tonal differences). These are usually the artist models - currently Jaco Pastorius, Reggie Hamilton, Pino Palladino & Dusty Hill. There's then usually about 2-3 per year of a specific time era that's designed to be as close as they can get to the original E.G. '58 P or a '64 J etc. Every now & then they will pop up something completely different - this year they made a P Bass pro with a J pickup at the bridge and blocks on the board.

The big CS dealers in the States also have Dealer Select models - basically the dealer specs something up and has a batch of them made just for that dealer. Nothing to stop a UK dealer doing this but I think the numbers involved might be too high.

Finally you have the full custom orders - these are principally built from a set of core Fender design principles J or P body, 50's profile neck, 60's pickup spacing etc. However you can, theoretically order anything you like but it does need to be a 'Fender' in broad design. They ahve made a few fairly crazy guitars but not as many off the wall basses from what I've seen.

The latest area the CS guys seem to be really going for is a range of odd custom paint combinations that look like old basses that were something like sunburst but then re-sprayed with shoreline gold etc.

If you really go for the full Masterbuilt experience you can even choose your builder and talk to him directly about every aspect of the build and finish - which is kinda what you'd expect if you bought from a UK custom builder like Martin Petersen, Bernie Goodfellow, John Shuker etc.

Probably lots more to this but that's about the best I can do for now :)

Why haven't I actually bought one of these yet ? I have toyed with the idea more than once , but keep talking myself out of it . If I had ordered one when I first thought of it , I would have it by now . That's probably what makes me try and think of reasons why I shouldn't order one now and face the regret of not having got off my arse and done it already . I remember now ! I was going to buy the Custom Shop Precision Pro , but couldn't get a straight answer from Fender about if you could adjust the truss rod without taking the neck off ( can't be arsed with any of that ) or any other of my questions about the spec , so I gave up trying . I would be very interested to know how easy the Fender Custom Shop are to work with as a customer , because they seem quite hard to get any kind of direct access to from this side of the Atlantic .

Edited by Dingus

Hi Molan , I am have to agree that the Custom Shop seems to be pulling out the stops on their newer models .
I have bought ,and subsequently sold a few CS Strats in the past , but I recently bought a 56 Heavy Relic Sunburst Strat in lightweight ash , and its absolutely spot on the most comfortable , playable , resonant lightweight guitar I own .

My CS bass of choice would be a 59 or 62 Precision in Heavey Relic Sunburst , Torty pick guard , chocolate brown Brazillian Board with clay dots .

The Custom Shop instruments are definitely a few notches up from the Standard American instruments . They are incredibly well set up , stay in tune forever , and just 100% playable straight out the box ( not allowing for individual preferences in set ups )

i had a CS Fender 1970 jazz limited edition, well over £3000 when new, but im sorry to say it was no better than my MIJ 75 non export jazz... when new £2000 cheaper.... the only thing on the custom shop, was it had superior tuners... if i had the cash though ,my god would i go to town...amber flame maple 75 ri, maple with blocks, matching headstock...

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1353079658' post='1871424']
i had a CS Fender 1970 jazz limited edition, well over £3000 when new, but im sorry to say it was no better than my MIJ 75 non export jazz... when new £2000 cheaper.... the only thing on the custom shop, was it had superior tuners... if i had the cash though ,my god would i go to town...amber flame maple 75 ri, maple with blocks, matching headstock...
[/quote]

Was your 1970 reissue one like this ?

That would be the ultimate Jazz bass for me . It makes me feel a little bit better to know that maybe it wouldn't be that much better than a standard Fender . I suppose the good thing is that if you've got a good Fender , Custom Shop or othewise , you've got a bass worth keeping no matter what other basses you might add to your collection .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1353004266' post='1870436']
The latest area the CS guys seem to be really going for is a range of odd custom paint combinations that look like old basses that were something like sunburst but then re-sprayed with shoreline gold etc.
[/quote]
They've been doing that for about fifteen years, now. Otherwise, excellent post mr. molan.

Anyway....

There's a couple of specs I fancy....

This one: stock '64 in Fiesta Red w/matching headstock....

....and [s]/ or[/s] this one: a stock 65 in sunburst, but with the [i]very[/i] rarest of neck specs: dots, unbound, with paddle tuners....

Why on earth would I want to buy a Fender if funds were unlimited. I'd go for Alembic, SEI, ACG to name a few. However if pushed down the Fender route I'd want a US Fender Zone bass. Lovely lovely bass - but rare as rocky horse dung. Only things changed I'd want a real nice chromed brass bridge and an ebony neck with LED's.

Took my '63J out to rehearsals last night and so enjoyed playing it. I'm not really worried about damaging it but I'd hate to 'lose' it at a gig.

I've wondered about trying to replicate it as a CS (probably in a different colour) but not sure it would have the same feel / sound.

Might be fun trying though :)

It's the one on the left of these four (the LPB '65 is mine as well but I prefer the '63)

• 1 month later...

My master built galuska ...amazing !!!! i had a 64 CS now before, but this one is 2 times better. the woods are great, the ash is light, and the pick ups incredible. I was thinking that it was too expensive, but when i received it i forget every thing ... the best jazz bass i had in my hands.