Why become a member? ×

Ok we are doing mustang Sally

gub

That's it really! Just wanted to vent my anger by saying bloomin blow me out of a cannon sideways from a great height and may I land on a chocolate covered marsmellow with naked persons of ones sexual preference waiting with open arms /legs !!

I normally enjoy playing Mustang Sally as the punters love it and in a covers band situation I'd rather play something simple and classic that has people up and dancing than something technical, like Hysteria for instance, that empties the dance floor.

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1352881350' post='1868655']
I normally enjoy playing Mustang Sally as the punters love it and in a covers band situation I'd rather play something simple and classic that has people up and dancing than something technical, like Hysteria for instance, that empties the dance floor.
[/quote]

This....

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1352881350' post='1868655']
[/quote]

Yep, same here. I dont actually enjoy it that much as i struggle to play it in a good way. The drummer sings it so his rhythm concentration (little as it is normally) is all over the place and its hard to keep up sometimes but it nice to see a full dance floor enjoying it.

I dont understand what the problem is with this song. We are entertainers. We are there to entertain people, and if thats what they want, thats what we give them.
If we only played songs [u]we [/u]like, it,ll be a very short set!! <_<

Edited by Hobbayne

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1352893432' post='1868861']
I dont understand what the problem is with this song. We are entertainers. We are there to entertain people, and if thats what they want, thats what we give them.
If we only played songs [u]we [/u]like, it,ll be a very short set!! <_<
[/quote]

Agreed but thats not how a lot of people see it. I suppose there are 100's of other songs we could play that would go down just as well though.

Some people on here just like to moan and think they are superior to others etc. It gets boring after a while we we are all used to it.

The thing with Mustang Sally is that every band moans about it and calls in cliche,and because of
this very few bands actually play it anymore.
I don't see what the big deal is,it's not like it's a dreadful tune and it get's people dancing and singing
along.It's not my favourite song,but I don't have a problem with it-especially if you really get grooving
on it.

After 4yrs of avoiding, we have conceded to adding it to our set lately! And...all the other songs that The Commitments cover. The Xmas season is coming up and we are fully booked throughout and the punters really like those songs. But, even though there are thousands of great songs from that era that we play folks still expect us to do The Commitments songs as they are probably the only songs they know out of our set. We try to be a soul/motown covers band and relent from being a The Commitments cover band, which covering a covers band sounds really silly to me.

Nothing to be sorry about. Its not a song that everybody likes. I cant stand any of that Jazz stuff, nor any of those big name Bass players 99% of BC seem to love. We all have different tastes.
What i find amusing though is the people in function bands not giving a toss that the audience might like it, just that they wont play it because they are above all that.

[quote name='StephenFerguson' timestamp='1352900817' post='1869056']
Sorry, I am a prick/snob/music facist, and the song just sounds like the furious dying ticks of the desperate 49 year old single womans bilogical clock as she drops her handbag at the front of the stage and dance/grinds out a silent plee that someone in the pub/function will consider her worthy of sneaking out on at 7am. Sorry.
[/quote]

...and the problem with this is?!

:D :P

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1352899188' post='1869004']
After 4yrs of avoiding, we have conceded to adding it to our set lately! And...all the other songs that The Commitments cover. The Xmas season is coming up and we are fully booked throughout and the punters really like those songs. But, even though there are thousands of great songs from that era that we play folks still expect us to do The Commitments songs as they are probably the only songs they know out of our set. We try to be a soul/motown covers band and relent from being a The Commitments cover band, which covering a covers band sounds really silly to me.
[/quote]

I take it you'll be avoiding that club in Merthyr this year then!

[quote name='StephenFerguson' timestamp='1352900817' post='1869056']
Sorry, I am a prick/snob/music facist, and the song just sounds like the furious dying ticks of the desperate 49 year old single womans bilogical clock as she drops her handbag at the front of the stage and dance/grinds out a silent plee that someone in the pub/function will consider her worthy of sneaking out on at 7am. Sorry.
[/quote]

Hope tongue in cheek, otherwise load of stinking sexist crap...

As for the song, I've never been a big fan of it, but the punters (women [b]and [/b]men) like it and dance to it when it's played, and request it when it's not played. If, as a band, you go on stage primarily with a view to entertain, then you should not exclude it from your setlist just out of sheer prejudice.