Why become a member? ×

Ok we are doing mustang Sally

gub

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1353152901' post='1872107']

definitely this

ive never yet seen an audience (collectively)groan when MS strikes up they usually tend towards appreciation rather than derision

... unless of course the audience is full of discerning BASSCHATTERS<_< :P
[/quote]

Fixed!

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1353154396' post='1872124']
It is the musical equivalent of a comedian saying 'when is a door not a door? When it is ajar'.
[/quote]

Maybe,but there is always going to be someone who has never heard the joke or song before and
enjoys it.

Interestingly,the only people who seem slag the song off are people in bands who think it's cliche and
cheesy.To be fair,it would be easy to say the same thing about many 'classic' rock songs that nearly every
other band seems to play.I've heard far more bands play the same Thin Lizzy,Free,AC/DC etc. songs than
I have play Mustang Sally.

The ubiquity of Mustang Sally at pub gigs is a strange sociological phenomenon that, however it started, becomes self-perpetuating, like salt crystals growing in a cube or CFCs destroying the ozone layer. Will it ever go away? Who knows - the more bands play it the more punters expect bands to play it, the more bands feel they have to play it. It's just the same from the other perspective; the more women of a certain age dance around drunkenly waving handbangs to it, the more it becomes an essential rite of passage into that phase of womanhood, the more they will seek out venues to enact this tribal ritual.

There are only two possible outcome scenarios, it'll either quietly and mysteriously subside, like an ebbing spring tide, or it'll rise up unstoppably and engulf us all in an apocalyptic musical tsunami of sh&*(e.

Actually I quite like the Wilson Pickett version of Mustang Sally, but he did have better stuff, and I don't really feel the need to ever hear it again probably thanks to a million pub bands.

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1353185604' post='1872631']
Maybe,but there is always going to be someone who has never heard the joke or song before and
enjoys it.

Interestingly,the only people who seem slag the song off are people in bands who think it's cliche and
cheesy.To be fair,it would be easy to say the same thing about many 'classic' rock songs that nearly every
other band seems to play.I've heard far more bands play the same Thin Lizzy,Free,AC/DC etc. songs than
[/quote]

what does that tell you? <_<

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1353266352' post='1873060']
Will people please stop going on about women of a certain age? I am of an interesting age and I have never knowingly waved a handbag. Lol :-)
[/quote]

Oops, sorry! :D

[size=2]But nonetheless, one day, you will hear Mustang Sally calling you, urging you to leap up on the dancefloor like a salmon leaps upstream and try as you might you won't be able to resist. Call of the wild, innit. Nature in action[/size]

[quote name='LawrenceH' timestamp='1353266733' post='1873066']

Oops, sorry! :D

[size=2]But nonetheless, one day, you will hear Mustang Sally calling you, urging you to leap up on the dancefloor like a salmon leaps upstream and try as you might you won't be able to resist. Call of the wild, innit. Nature in action[/size]
[/quote]

Ha ha, that may be true at that! :-) But I won't be waving me handbag. Or trying to get the mic off the singer and join in. :-)

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1353185604' post='1872631']
enjoys it.

[/quote]

Agree with that one - in all honestly I think I've only heard MS played once or twice live, whereas the other other bands you mentioned seem to get covered a lot more frequently. Probably explains why I don't mind the song so much as a lot of other people here.

Sweet Child o Mine tops my list of overplayed songs, yet I don't see so many people complain about that one. Played at a battle of the bands for under eighteens a few years back, and of the eight bands on that night four of them played it :unsure: Our guitarist even decided to take the mick by playing the intro riff at the start of our set before segueing into the Trooper, bless him.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1353156754' post='1872178']
All music is made up of elements that create tension or release, harmonically. melodically, aurally, rhythmically etc. When we listen to a piece for the first ime, if it has too much tension, it confuses us. Too much release and it bores us. Whatever we dislike can usually be traced back to these concepts. Too complex a harmony will leave us finding something 'cerebral' and lacking in emotional content. Too complex a melody and it may sound 'self indulgent' or 'unmelodic'. Too complex rhythmically and it will sound 'busy' etc. But the tough bit of the formula is, our 'best fit' is changing all of the time and something that worked for us last year may not now (that's why we 'grow out of' bands we used to love). If you keep going back to something, eventually you may grow to like it or even favour it over stuff you used to love. If it is too simple for your tastes, however, you may never be able to learn to love it again e.g. Mozart. Don't forget that there are cultural factors in there also; nostalgia being one of them.
[/quote]

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1353355981' post='1874214']
Hoist by my own petard! :yarr:
[/quote]

Aye. I should have changed Mozart to Mustang Sally but thought it was pertinent to the subject matter. It is very true and explains why some non musical people like it so much and those of us who understand music should remember that just because we don't like it doesn't mean others shouldn't.