Why become a member? ×

So after 15 minutes in this shop I bought this...

pendingrequests

The Fender FSR (First Series Run) American Precision Bass.

Been looking for a precision for quite a while and had my eye on the 50's series, but I tried one out and the neck just wasn't for me.

The finish on this is absolutely gorgeous. For those who haven't seen one, it looks as it if has been sanded at the factory, stained then shipped straight to the shop.

I've put my deposit down, so its not in my possession yet. Getting a Hiscox case ordered in first. Thinking about a black pickguard will set this thing right off!

Will post a pic when I finally get my early christmas present to myself in hand :)

[quote name='pendingrequests' timestamp='1352667377' post='1865945']

yep, its just the bare bones, which gives it a really good price for an american made fender.
[/quote]

That sounds wrong to me - sure the dealer isn't just tryin to flog you a new case (whilst also selling the original Fender case to someone else)?

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1352683024' post='1866192']

That sounds wrong to me - sure the dealer isn't just tryin to flog you a new case (whilst also selling the original Fender case to someone else)?
[/quote]

These are cheaper than some MIM models by a couple hundred pounds from some places. Fender have really made them very cost effective. That does mean luxury things like a hardcase are missing though.

[quote name='dwh87' timestamp='1352685001' post='1866203']

These are cheaper than some MIM models by a couple hundred pounds from some places. Fender have really made them very cost effective. That does mean luxury things like a hardcase are missing though.
[/quote]

A Mexican Fender P is about £425 - surely there's no way a UK dealer can sell an American P for a couple of hundred less than that?

The FSR tag has been used for a few different basses and not all are for a single retail chain. I think the early ones were for Guitar Center in the States and some of those were MIM not MIA.

Fender marketing then realised they could use the label for other limited runs and these have been around 150-200 units I think.

I have seen some as low as £500 (the Antigua P) and I seem to remember one of them up over £1,000 (stained ash P).

I know the more expensive ones came with hard cases.

Sounds like typical Fender really, grab a label and use it for marketing purposes across a range of guitars and confuse everyone :)

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1352714114' post='1866325']
A Mexican Fender P is about £425 - surely there's no way a UK dealer can sell an American P for a couple of hundred less than that?
[/quote]

No, but he did say "cheaper than [b]some[/b] MIM models by a couple hundered pounds from [b]some [/b]places"

i.e. it's cheaper than a MIM Geddy Lee Jazz at $1,399.99 RRP

Edited by dlloyd

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1352683024' post='1866192']
[/quote]

There may be the gig bag, I'm not entirely sure, but obviously I want something abit better than that.

I know the dealer very well, so I can assure you he isn't try to flog me into a new case :)

Speaking of which, anyone recommend the Hiscox cases? Think he is ordering me this one: http://www.dv247.com/cases/hiscox-std-epb-larger-style-electric-bass-guitar-case--56184

I''m a huge fan of Hiscox, my 77 lives in one and i have them for most of my guitars, for a precision bass you want the EBS case not the EPB which is for oversized basses.

[url="http://www.hiscoxcases.com/standardguitar_hiscox.htm"]http://www.hiscoxcases.com/standardguitar_hiscox.htm[/url]

when i bought my first Hiscox the guy in the shop demonstrated the strength by putting my beloved acoustic in the case and then standing on it! they're not cheap but my acoustic would be firewood if it hadn't been in a Hiscox, (incident involving a caravan tyre blowout and a Large gas bottle)

i'm currently on the hunt for more hiscox bass cases for the rest of my collection, trying to get them secondhand to save some money.

Matt

Just some clarification on this.

An FSR is a factory special run.

The FSR tag is put onto a special/limited edition run from Fender. In this case an American special P bass in hand stained Honey burst.
Sometimes FSR instruments are in non-standard finishes, others have different pickups or what have you. Basically they are limited quantity instruments with spec's not normally available.

I believe a fair few BCers have the American standard basses which were made in hand stained finishes earlier this year, Wine and black I think they were.

As this is a USA special it comes with a gig bag not a hardcase.

Edited by throwoff

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1352716186' post='1866358']
These are part of the American Special range, which don`t come with hard-case, but should have a gig-bag. They are a fair bit cheaper than the US Standard range, which I`m sure accounts for the lack of hard-case.
[/quote]

Not string thru I see.

Edited by The Dark Lord

[quote name='pendingrequests' timestamp='1352721902' post='1866447']
Speaking of which, anyone recommend the Hiscox cases? Think he is ordering me this one: [url="http://www.dv247.com/cases/hiscox-std-epb-larger-style-electric-bass-guitar-case--56184"]http://www.dv247.com...tar-case--56184[/url]
[/quote]

Lovely bass. I approve :)

Hiscox cases are fantastic. There's a reason everyone recommends them.