Why become a member? ×

Larry Graham - bass playing equivalent of Jimi Hendrix?

paulconnolly

Today's Sunday Times culture section has an article on Larry Graham claiming that "he did for electric bass what Jimi Hendrix did for electric guitar". Well did he?

Full article here [url="http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/culture/music/pop_and_rock/article1155278.ece"]http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/culture/music/pop_and_rock/article1155278.ece[/url]

I don't really like these types of comparisons, but you could say that they were both pioneers who found new ways to express themselves on their respective instruments. Jimi redefined what the electric guitar was capable of, and to a certain extent LG did the same with slap on bass.

Edited by Roland Rock

Don't compare.

On the other hand....

I would say that LG has influenced more players than JP, as there are far more players playing slap lines than players playing fretless, chords or harmonics.

And while JH influenced many guitarists, including Clapton, I think that Clapton has been the more influential guitarist of the two.

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='paulconnolly' timestamp='1351466489' post='1851585']
So would it be more reasonable to say that Jaco = Hendrix but Graham = Les Paul? Both Graham and Les Paul established the instrument in terms of influencing future players but Hendrix like Jaco pushed the envelope of what could be done with electric guitars?
[/quote]

Les Paul established the Les Paul, Jaco established the fretless but LG INVENTED FUNK as we know it.

[quote name='popoctave' timestamp='1351468115' post='1851614']
Les Paul established the Les Paul, Jaco established the fretless but LG INVENTED FUNK as we know it.
[/quote]

I think James Brown had quite a bit to do with it as well!

I agree that the comparisons are a bit crazy, Jaco always gets lumped in with Hendrix though and it's probably a bit more apt than the LG comparison IMO.

It's all a bit silly really isn't it? Bass just doesn't have an equivalent figure to Hendrix because it's not normally a lead instrument in pop and rock. Jaco was on the jazz scene so very different. Closest to Hendrix in terms of changing the way people played? Maybe Jamerson, but he was hardly a pioneer of the possibilities of electrified sound - OTOH Hendrix did that, the fact it was on guitar is almost secondary.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1351510598' post='1851857']
Hendrix was just something else, a real pioneer. Larry Graham is a hell of a player and has a voice like God, but you can't compare him to Hendrix.
[/quote]

That's what I was thinking. And like it or not, the bass as an instrument just doesn't have the same standing as the electric guitar. My mum at 78 has heard of Hendrix, and my 16 year old nephew wears a hendrix T-shirt, but I've never met anyone other than bass players who have even heard of Larry Graham.

(great player though)

Most of the people who write these articIes havent a clue on the subject they write. Hendrix and graham are totally different like an orange and a banana. Jimmy hendrix was great but i think the myth gets blown out of proportion sometimes,there were loads of session men (which was what hendrix was) who could do what hendrix did,its just he got the breaks and the chance to expand.

Edited by YouMa

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1351459388' post='1851478']
I'd agree with Jaco in terms of how he pushed boundaries beyond what anyone thought was possible with the instrument. Larry was a good groover and invented one technique but Jaco was so much more innovative.
[/quote]

Agree - Pastorius was a pioneer when he was the top of his game before drugs & bipolar became an issue. If his overdose hadn't killed him, Hendrix would have been working with the likes of Gil Evans & Miles Davis - probably would have been the first mainstream rock guitarist to cross over into the field of Jazz.

[quote name='louisthebass' timestamp='1351522022' post='1852096']
....Hendrix would have been working with the likes of Gil Evans & Miles Davis - probably would have been the first mainstream rock guitarist to cross over into the field of Jazz....
[/quote]

Second, John McLaughlin had already done that when he joined Tony Williams' Lifetime in 1969.

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Mornington Crescent? How did you get there so quickly and what rules did you play by?[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I'd of thought that Paul McCartney, Jack Bruce and John Entwhistle had a major hand in defining what bass was about, for me anyway. [/font][/color]

[quote name='bertbass' timestamp='1351557451' post='1852708']
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I'd of thought that Paul McCartney, Jack Bruce and John Entwhistle had a major hand in defining what bass was about, for me anyway. [/font][/color]
[/quote]
I don't know.
Putting aside my personal feelings towards their playing,McCartney was hugely influenced by what Jamerson was doing and Jack
Bruce was basically taking Jazz and Blues and applying them to a rock style. I think they were important players within their
genres(Entwistle too,despite me not liking him) but in the same way,so was Larry Graham. Graham was as important to funk as Bruce
was to Rock,but with the added spice of (possibly) creating a whole new playing technique that has spread throughout music.

But,calling him the 'Hendrix of Bass' is just wrong. Magazines have been saying that for years about Jaco and that's wrong too.They
each brought their own thing. Larry Graham does what he does,and does it very well.

Hendrix is familiar by name to at least 95% of non-musicians who listen to rock music, and his work is familiar to 95% of musicians who play guitar.

Jaco is familiar by name to less than 5% of non-musicians who listen to rock music, and his work is familiar to 5% of musicians who play bass. One of these days I'll have to get round to having a listen to him.

McCartney, Wyman, or Entwistle would be the ones who got the popular recognition, and I wouldn't exactly describe McCartney or Wyman as mould-breaking.