Why become a member? ×

Musical Integrity

How many of you are happy with tthe stuff you're playing, and how many are doing it because it's the only gig you can get? Do you feel that you should play the stuff you love or nothing, or is it a case of you'll play anything as long as you're playing?
Here's my situation-after 15 years of not playing I got a band together with some folks at work and we're gigging fairly sporadically at present, but working on getting sorted so we're doing it more regularly. We play mainly covers, some classic rock, some modern chart stuff, and a bit of blues/r'n'b, some of it written by me. Some of the stuff we play is by bands I don't really like, but I find I enjoy playing it. I do draw the line at some stuff however, and I'm probably the one in the band most likely to flatly refuse to play something. I have mates who if they heard the stuff I'm playing would be scathing in the extreme-I was brought up on punk and a lot of guys I know still haven't got away from that ethos, and would be disgusted if they knew I was playing stuff by Pink. Personally I say stuff 'em, it's so nice to be playing again in a band that's going down well on the whole, that I couldn't give a stuff what they think. One said to me in an Email that he 'couldn't do crowd-pleasing' ie. he played what the hell he liked and if people didn't like it that was their look-out. I'd very much like to be in a blues/r'n'b band playing stuff I really like all the time, but that's just not a practical proposition at present, so I'll stick with the covers, because the alternative is not playing at all.
What do you guys feel about this? Whatever it takes, or maintain your artistic integrity at all costs? This isn't a request for advice BTW, I'm quite happy with my current situation, but I'm curious as to how others view this kind of thing.

Edited by Deep Thought

To me, the only criterion that matters is: Am I enjoying playing this?

If I'm enjoying it, then I have literally zero interest in what [i]genre[/i] it has been pigeon-holed into, or whether or not others think it's 'cool' to be playing it.

The older I get, the more open-minded I become, and the more I discover in artists and songs that I might have sneered at 30 years ago.

Example? A guitarist wanted to play [i]Walk The Line[/i] by Johnny Cash the other night. Dead simple 2-feel country stuff, right? Oh no. Go and try it. Right now.

As to "crowd pleasing", if that doesn't matter to you, then surely you might as well get back into your bedroom and play through headphones? And don't call me Shirley.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='194236' date='May 7 2008, 10:21 PM']To me, the only criterion that matters is: Am I enjoying playing this?[/quote]

Right on... I love playing what I play, and the rest of the band do too. We have a lot of fun.

If it wasn't fun, I wouldn't do it. Life's too short.

My aproach is to take the rough with the smooth, some songs we do I like others I don't. The band I'm in isn't ideal, we havn't gigged yet but have done quite a few open mic nights. At least I'm playing, in doing open mic stuff I'm sort of advertising myself and have met other musicians who are into the same stuff as me.

The creed by which I have always lived.

1) is the music good?

2) are the guys in the band a good laugh?

3) is the money good?

If you have answered YES to TWO of those three then it's viable.

Hate the songs? That's okay if you like the bandmembers and the money is good.

Money crap? Same story... if you like the guys and believe in the music, then fine.

Hate the band members? Well you can live with it if you love the music and the money's good. I can think of few scenarios worse than wanting to get your hands on the guitarist's neck in preference to the neck of your bass but if the music's great and the money's good you can live it.

Two of the three. And that's all the integrity you need.

Edited by Scoop

Musical integrity? Yeah, I've been trying to turn "my vision" into reality for 10 years. The trouble is it's difficult when you're not a musical genius and when people don't really get it. It's only now that I've got band members who get it and can put it into action.

I'm glad I stuck at it though and didn't give up on it. In the meantime I have played in a few other bands. If you're a bass player first then you can't lose touch with your instrument.

I have never got over the fact that there are apparently enough people out there that have considered it worthwhile to pay me enough money to feed my kids, pay a mortgage etc for twenty years now. All for playing my bass.
With that in mind I can't help feeling anything but one lucky SOB, so as a result I can see the fun side in playing pretty much anything. I think the one thing that has sustained that feeling is the variety of music I get to play. eg in the last month I have done 3 pop sessions an AOR type session a couple of weddings playing standards, a few parties, a game fair, a couple of corporates and in some of those I played teddy bears picnic whilst wearing a monocle and sporting a centre parting.
Some would consider what I do as musical prostitution. But I'm having a great time.
As for whether I have musical integrity?
I'll let you decide.
Jake

Wise words from Scoop there, I like the two-thirds theory. Good call.
Personally I reckon I've got the best gig in the world. I [i]love [/i]this band and 95% of the music floats my boat in a big way. The band's like an extended family, we get big enthusiastic crowds, and I get to look at Abi and Sian's arses all night. :huh: OK so when you split it 13 ways the money doesn't go far, but I've definitely got 2 out of 3.
I'm lucky, but not as lucky as jakesbass... doing this for a living, aww man that'd be my wildest dream.

[quote name='Deep Thought' post='194231' date='May 7 2008, 10:10 PM']One said to me in an Email that he 'couldn't do crowd-pleasing' ie. he played what the hell he liked and if people didn't like it that was their look-out.[/quote]Nah. I've had my share of playing to 3 people and a pub dog thanks. :) We used to take that attitude in the fusion band I was in a few years back. Eventually we had to call it a day because, yup, we couldn't get gigs. Too rocky for jazz venues, too jazzy for pubs. Bloody shame.

Musical integrity... none whatsoever, I would play anything, even in a Bros tribute band as long as I was playing more often. The problem is making the time to do it with work, a new baby, the wife, football, actually taking some exercise and GTA IV to deal with. :)

at the moment im in a band playing my acoustic guitar and singing :ph34r: (it is a martin so it could be worse.....)i think im a a better bass player than strummer so where's the justice eh ! !
think yourselves lucky,at least your playing bass. :)
im looking for a band at the moment so my day will soon come.

I have no musical integrity at all, so long as I'm enjoying what we're playing and getting some sort of appreciative noise from the punters in return.

Luckily being in a function band, playing soul/funk and disco covers at happy events like weddings and birthdays, couldn't make me happier.

[quote name='Rich' post='194398' date='May 8 2008, 07:42 AM']Wise words from Scoop there, I like the two-thirds theory. Good call.[/quote]
+1

Good thread by the way and it's got me thinking as to what is musical integrity anyway? To me it means being able to respect yourself as a person and a musician whatever the music is that you are playing.. Whether other people feel I have any musical integrity is a secondary concern. Personally, I'm very happy as I think I have 3 out of 3 at the moment. Using Scoop's music integrity calculator:

1) is the music good? - Great; I get to play Bowie, Prince, Killers etc.. How can it not be?

2) are the guys in the band a good laugh? - We're always having a laugh, especially during the gigs!

3) is the money good? - My music hobby pretty much pays for itself, so that's OK in my book.

And long may it continue! :)

It sounds as though most people on here just love playing full stop - that's very encouraging.

I have to admit that I'm of the same thinking. I'm very particular when it comes to listening to music for enjoyment but I've found, rather bizarrely, that I'm happy playing pretty much anything when it comes to playing in a band. I've been in a few bands in my time, playing quite a lot of different things, much of which I have had little interest in listening to and yet have got great enjoyment out of playing.

Right now, I feel I'm in a good position in that the three bands I'm in all play music that is both amazingly satisfying to play and great to listen to. So in that respect, I have managed to retain my musical integrity. That said, if the call came to be Girls Aloud's touring bass player, I'd sell out in second... :)

[quote name='Deep Thought' post='194231' date='May 7 2008, 10:10 PM']How many of you are happy with tthe stuff you're playing, and how many are doing it because it's the only gig you can get? Do you feel that you should play the stuff you love or nothing, or is it a case of you'll play anything as long as you're playing?
Here's my situation-after 15 years of not playing I got a band together with some folks at work and we're gigging fairly sporadically at present, but working on getting sorted so we're doing it more regularly. We play mainly covers, some classic rock, some modern chart stuff, and a bit of blues/r'n'b, some of it written by me. Some of the stuff we play is by bands I don't really like, but I find I enjoy playing it. I do draw the line at some stuff however, and I'm probably the one in the band most likely to flatly refuse to play something. I have mates who if they heard the stuff I'm playing would be scathing in the extreme-I was brought up on punk and a lot of guys I know still haven't got away from that ethos, and would be disgusted if they knew I was playing stuff by Pink. Personally I say stuff 'em, it's so nice to be playing again in a band that's going down well on the whole, that I couldn't give a stuff what they think. One said to me in an Email that he 'couldn't do crowd-pleasing' ie. he played what the hell he liked and if people didn't like it that was their look-out. I'd very much like to be in a blues/r'n'b band playing stuff I really like all the time, but that's just not a practical proposition at present, so I'll stick with the covers, because the alternative is not playing at all.
What do you guys feel about this? Whatever it takes, or maintain your artistic integrity at all costs? This isn't a request for advice BTW, I'm quite happy with my current situation, but I'm curious as to how others view this kind of thing.[/quote]
+1
I could have written that entire post myself, down to the background in punk, non-playing gap, and current material (yes, including Pink!!! U & ur hand has a great slappable bass-line…….)
I play bass purely for the buzz of playing live and the brotherhood of being in a band, I certainly wouldn’t bother otherwise. “Integrity” has never really been an issue, especially as the music that’s the most fun and/or challenging to play very often isn’t the music that I’m into or would listen to (disco, & 80’s funk for instance)
Having said that, I’m not sure I’d wear a Womble suit for anyone! Or be in a Kajagoogoo tribute band. Or….

I play pretty much anything in covers bands- if people like to hear it and I'm getting paid, I'm happy to do it.

but in original bands I've always avoided obvious bandwagon-jumping- the whole point to me was to try to be distinctive rather than copy what's currently popular like everyone else, and try to pass it off as original.
it makes things a lot more difficult in gathering a following and getting airplay, but the payoff can be bigger and more lasting if you can crack it.

If by musical integrity you mean some types of music are "better" than others then you are exhibiting musical snobbery and snobs are a waste of space in any context. If you give your bass playing 110% then your musical integrity is intact, no matter what you are playing.

My previous band was reasonably heavy 'classic' metal. I think I preferred the music to listen to rather than to play - it was a lot of boring root noting against 2 loud guitarists.

My latest band is seriously funky with a bit of rock thrown in, much more fun.

I play bass in a band that I would like to think has a lot of "musical integrity" in that we take a long time and put a lot of effort into writing our songs, and then practice until we're tight. Sometimes it's quite technical stuff, and it's basically getting us nowhere, but musicians seem to appreciate us, and when we play together I get this amazing feeling of satisfaction that is comparable to a great orgasm. This band just got totally stressed with our lack of progress and now our drummer is hardly ever in the country :)

I play drums in a band that I think has basically no musical integrity. Listening to it, you might be fooled, but we write songs in under 10 minutes with absolutely no thought of creating a beautiful and/or clever peice of music, we don't practice much etc. However, it's loads of fun!

So, having "musical integrity" gives me more of a "deep" relationship to the stuff i'm playing, which can feel amazing, but it will also get me down where nothing's happening (all the time). Having no "musical integrity" gives me more of a care-free attitude to what i'm doing, which makes it more fun, but much less of an intense musical experience.

Interesting thread!

IVe never played in a covers band so couldnt really comment on that but each to thier own.
anyone had a period where they've turned down cash for integrity?

I was in a position a few years ago when my old band had a development deal with a little company who paid for the re-recording of one of my songs.
We did it but we all agreed we preferred the original as it had more feel to it...
lo and behold a few weeks later we were offered cash to put that version on some advert in Eastern Europe... not great cash but enough to pay for a new van and some equipment.
we needed the cash but I just wasnt interested... I just hated the idea of the song being associated with some dodgy brand...
Call me stupid or whatever as its just a song but Im happy that I can look my heroes in the eye and say I held on to my integrity.
the furries influenced me hugely here:-
[url="http://www.contactmusic.com/new/xmlfeed.nsf/mndwebpages/super%20furry%20animals%20happy%20to%20turn%20down%20coke%20deal_06_02_2006"]http://www.contactmusic.com/new/xmlfeed.ns...deal_06_02_2006[/url]

[quote name='Shaggy' post='194431' date='May 8 2008, 08:55 AM']+1
(snip)
Having said that, I’m not sure I’d wear a Womble suit for anyone! [b]Or be in a Kajagoogoo tribute band[/b]. Or….[/quote]

No, nor me. I haven't got the chops. Say what you like about Kajagoogoo but Nick Beggs is a phenomenal bassist.

I think you can actually do anything with integrity - it's the little things that count when all is said and done - get those right and you have integrity IMO. Basically I'm agreeing with the general consensus here :)

Do I have any? No f-ing idea - but Time Out here in lovely London just decided one of my bands was worthy of mention in a feature on African music in London and asked for a pic as well - it'll be in next week's issue. That band - www.ludomix.com - has been going through thick and thin and we all do it because we love it - and it's that commitment that has actually helped us be mildly successful so far - having been asked to play so decent sizd festivals and given us the chance to up our booking fee! Hopefully there's more life in this thing yet - we shall see...

I love the honesty here guys - playing music massively enhances yours and other lives - being 'bothered' to gt off your ass, get practicing, rehearsing and gigging is admirable whoever you are. As I heard someone far wittier than myself say the other day "better to be lucky than be good" - trouble is you can wait a lifetime to get lucky - so you might as well enjoy yourselves in the meantime. :huh:

M

I suppose ive kinda had reverse integrity!!

I joined the band im in now because the guys where really proffessional and a laugh, and i just wanted to play! But the more ive played with the music the more ive come to enjoy it as music. and now my first choice CDs are in a similar vein to what im playing! weird eh.