Why become a member? ×

Sad realisation

Lozz196

Have come to a point of sad realisation that, approaching 47, and intending to retire at 60, that having two 70s Precisions, and a seperate amp set-up for each of my bands - with both being over 50lbs in weight - is neither doing my back, or my pocket any good.

So sadly the 70s Precisions are going to go, just found a very nice CIJ 62 Reissue to take their place, and a much smaller/lighter Markbass set-up will take place of my other amps/cabs.

I can`t help feeling sad about this, however I do know that it`s the right thing to do. I only play Precisions, so really only need one, and the realisation of my assets will clear a bit of debt, which is always helpful. I now have a 13 year plan to retirement.

I feel I`ve suddenly grown up, and in all honesty, it`s a 50/50 thing. Part of me is pleased I`m finally doing things the sensible way, the other part is screaming against it, as up until now, sensible has never been my way - especially with da dosh - and those 70s Precisions are beauts.

Anyone else encountered/suffered the same sort-of experience with their gear?

My theory is live for now Lozz and enjoy as much as you can. You never really know what's round the corner.
They say one good bass is all you need, so if you can't afford to keep both, maybe hang onto one especially if they really feel right for you.
You can always buy and sell again, so it's not as final as it might seem, it's what makes you happy that counts in my book :)

Too early for one of these kinds of posts lol.

Whilst I'd be interested in seeing these basses, I'm in the market, I'm not sure how a couple of grands worth of instruments would have a major impact on your plans, unless your debt is very high interest and you can get top dollar for them now.

The basses may increase in value you could sell at 60 and have 13 years more fun out if them

Having said that a bass is a bass , you can buy and sell at anytime in your life

Edited by lojo

I think you would find that, with the economy being as it is, that you wont get top dollar for them now and that they would be classed as an appreciating asset over the long term. Sell when the recession has ended- 5 yrs?

However I know what you mean when you feel you have just too much "stuff". I too suffer from this problem- 3 cars- 3 motorbikes- loads of bass stuff. I would never class myself as a materialist person, its just developed that way.

I do know though that retiring at 60 is, for most people, nigh on impossible. What do you do pal?

I've long been a fan of Japanese Fenders, I try to persuade myself they're not as good as my old 70s ones but the reality is the MIJs are the best Fenders I've got.

As has been said now might not be the best time to be selling gear, but paying interest on debts isn't the way forward either if you can avoid it.

I'd suggest sell the two heavy amps and have one light one, and keep the two best precisions and sell the other. But I wouldn't rush into it until you've played the new bass for a while and are sure it's right for you.

Thanks for the views guys - I`d considered keeping one of them, but have a few grand on credit cards, am sorting re-mortgage etc, but don`t want too much on my property, as want to keep the equity. So with all my gear going out (approx £4000, and spend of £1600) I`ll be able to virtually clear this. I`ll still have a good bass, and a good amp set-up, but realistically it`s all I need (and am physically able to carry).

Thumperbob - yeah, retiring at 60 is a real bonus if possible, I work for The Post Office, and have done since 21, so will retire on virtually full pension, which, with no mortgage for the 3 years prior to that, I should be able to live comfortably on til the state pension kicks in.

I've recently had to sell off all MY basses too, purely for financial reasons, and at first I was heartbroken to do it. I'm 47, just started a new job after 3 months off, and I'm totally skint.

The upside, is that I wound up with a fabulous Fender Classic 50s Precision, MIM, and absolutely amazing. I gigged it on Saturday, and the band, who can be very critical indeed, reckoned it was the best sound I've ever had.

I believe in fate or destiny, call it what you will, and I'm sure, 100%, it was the best move I've made in years.

Long live the Fender Precision. Wherever it's made.

I think it;s a wise move but take a look at the Lakland Glaubs as well - very cheap at the mo and superior to the MIJ Precisons - you're welcome to try out my DD special (essentially a glaub) if you're over this way anytime. The most important thing is to keep playing and keep happy - getting rid of all your debts will help and if you sell your guitars on here at least you'll know where they are when you want one back ;)

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1350541968' post='1840170']
Whilst I'd be interested in seeing these basses, I'm in the market, I'm not sure how a couple of grands worth of instruments would have a major impact on your plans, unless your debt is very high interest and you can get top dollar for them now.

The basses may increase in value you could sell at 60 and have 13 years more fun out if them
[/quote]

I agree with this. The credit card debt is not good and you need to get rid (obviously) but you say it's "a few grand". That doesn't sound particularly unmanageable.

Choosing between a few months of belt-tightening & self-denial on the one hand, and selling your basses on the other, well it doesn't work for me.

Moving to lightweight gear ... ah, well now, that's another story.

Incidentally, I vaguely remember approaching 47. Seems like it was a while back. :lol:

Sorry to hear this Lozz. I have the same taste as you in basses and amps. I was lucky to find two very light 70's Precisions which help with my hernias. Amp wise I have a LMII and a Compact. I lost my job a few weeks ago and have a new baby so keeping these will be tricky with mortgage etc. You seem to have your priorities right though so best of luck with your decisions!

Sounds like a sensible plan Lozz but can understand your trepidation concerning selling the 70's P basses.

I did the same a few years back with my rig, which was a Trace. Loved everything about that set up other than the weight. I would spend a couple of days after each gig layed out on the settee with a hot water bottle on my back. Not good.

Went down the Mark Bass route with a GB shuttle amp.

You are welcome to visit Mac towers if you would like to check out my set up, although I'm guessing you already know how they sound and what you want. Anyway the invite is there :)

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1350540672' post='1840164']
My theory is live for now Lozz and enjoy as much as you can. You never really know what's round the corner.
[/quote]

One of the things that could be round the corner is living to a ripe old age, so it makes sense to take that into account as well if you don't want to be thoroughly restricted and miserable in retirement. It can be a tricky balance.

Anyone with high interest credit card debts and a low interest mortgage on a house with sufficient equity should be thinking about increasing the mortgage to pay off the credit cards.

With the current market, I would hold on the the old Fenders for a few more years. I can't imagine they will ever be worth less than now, and could be worth a lot more in a couple of years, when there is more "disposable income" floating around. But I know exactly how you are thinking...and it sounds like you are much more sorted than many! The physical thing is really important - my current jazz bass is the lightest Fender type bass I've ever owned, and easily the best sounding, so its worth a long look around to see what you can find. Mine was mostly made in Cornwall....

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1350545650' post='1840205']
Thumperbob - yeah, retiring at 60 is a real bonus if possible, I work for The Post Office, and have done since 21, so will retire on virtually full pension, which, with no mortgage for the 3 years prior to that, I should be able to live comfortably on til the state pension kicks in.
[/quote]

:) Now that sounds like a plan. Get them debts cleared, forget the basses :)

Well I'm a similar age to Lozz and I'd love to be able to retire at 60 but realistically I think it is unlikely despite having no kids to put through college. I'm not expecting the state pension to be worth anywhere near enough on its own to live on comfortably by the time I'm 60. I've worked for the same employer since I was early 20's too but I'm not expecting a great return on that pension either for various reasons. I'm sadly looking at either working till at least 65 or retiring early and living very frugally. The way my career has gone in recent years I'm starting to consider the latter option though!

Loz is one of the lucky few who have real pension benefits which are guaranteed. For most of us its a bit different. I work in financial services and do see both sides of the coin- those that can place £200K in their pensions each year and people that can only manage £50 a month. For my own retirement ( I`m 50 ) I am so glad that I deal mainly with the former lot- we call them " rich folk". The rich lot pay for my services to the normal man on the street.

Its a demographic time bomb, the whole pensions story. Bound to get a whole lot worse.

I do think though that, even though we enjoy it, the whole GAS thing has got so much out of control its untrue. On this very forum we see people buying and selling very expensive gear constantly. I am probably guilty I know.

A lot of amazing work was done with a four string plankocaster and a B15. For years. No need for the latest thing.

I do agree lightweight gear is so convenient- though I have come to the conclusion that its not everything. I have Markbass gear which is great, though I have just changed to Hartke- LH1000 and a Hydrive cab. Whilst not as light as the Markbass stuff- its still not as bad as an 8 x 10 and V4B!!

I did the cab lightening thing already. I'm 36 and to be honest I found lugging my old Ashdown cab (nearly 80lbs) down then up two floors of stairs (one of which is external and concrete) was beginning to put me off and made going to gigs a bit of a drag (to say nothing of the going home - by the end it would be left in the car overnight after a gig - the logic being if they can lift it, they're welcome to it ;) ). Moved up to a 50lbs Zoot. Now skipping up and down stairs with it. I am now worried that in another 10 years time I'll be looking at the Zoot and thinking "you're getting heavy". I guess that's where the 2x1x12 setup comes in.

It also begs the question how long I can wear 12lbs+ basses on my shoulders. Not looking at any victorious, all maple basses in particular ;)

I don't bemoan the lightweight gear - I welcome it. My primary existence as IT guy relishes the thought (and the challenge) of lightening the behemoth and still retaining great sounding bass.

All the same, good to have a plan to keep on trucking. As far as I'm concerned, I'm going to play until my hands seize up completely through arthritis or my brain turns so spongy I can't remember the notes (or where I put the bass in the first place, or what a bass is)

Edited by neepheid

I'm 49 and have way too much gear for my needs (see my sig) - I can find a use for most of it but the reality is its a GAS-induced luxury. I would actually be perfectly happy with one Precision (it would have to be my '63 though), one double bass (probably my Kolstein as the chunky neck on my old German flatback is a bit hard on my left hand), and one amp rig (probably my Acoustic Image combo and my incoming Crazy8 cab). That would free up a lot of cash but until I feel the financial need to do so, i am going to hang on in there and enjoy all my gear. There will though come a point where I make a similar decision Lozz.

That`s it really Clarky, I`ve had a great time here on Basschat buying/selling, enjoying my basses, but the time has come to just be a little bit sensible, and get what`s needed, rather than wanted. Bit gutting, but in some ways I feel a weight has been lifted by coming to this decision.

[i]if you don't want to sell, then don't... a few grand on CC's should be manageable, but maybe set up a fund and divert more into payng them off[/i]
[i]if you can. Get an extra income and fuel the fund... gigs or lesson money..??[/i]

[i]I wouldn't be selling now anyway... now buying, that is another question. :lol:[/i]

Well, its great to be sensible, but I've never been one to 'plan for everything inb the future' recently. I am 31, and I've never had a proper pension plan because I was pretty much skint at every job due to the cost of legal education.

Now I'm in a real career I will be part of the pension scheme in 6 months once I've earnt some good money and had some fun.

I always have at the back of my mind 'you don't know what is round the corner'...I don't want to get to the stage of saving like crazy and then not be able to enjoy it.

Everyone has something they splash out on; keep one of those 70s P's. Actually, keep both, and find the cash elsewhere. Everyone deserves to own something they desire when they've worked for it.

After having a MIJ P bass for 15 years, then selling it, I can say they are lightweight, but unless you mod those pups, you won't be 100% happy.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1350552324' post='1840317']
[i]if you don't want to sell, then don't... a few grand on CC's should be manageable, but maybe set up a fund and divert more into payng them off[/i]
[i]if you can. Get an extra income and fuel the fund... gigs or lesson money..??[/i]

[i]I wouldn't be selling now anyway... now buying, that is another question. :lol:[/i]
[/quote]

What JTUK said...+1

Life is for living. Unless its horrific debt don't worry about it.

Everyone tells me to buy a house. I tried two years back and had a nightmare so I gave up for now. Yes, its sensible, but I live in the city and I might be asked to move offices once my Training Contract finishes. No point in buying for 18 months then moving 300 miles.