Why become a member? ×

Drummer Rant

Truckstop

So, the drummer for my covers band bailed a couple of months ago for perfectly reasonable reasons. Since then we've struggled to find anyone that could fit the bill:

We had one guy who was a drumming genius. He was Colombian and had a lovely light touch, throwing in some Latin influences every now and then and listened to the band (probably because he was quiet) and made us sound really good. But he doesn't drive and can't gig on saturdays.

Then, we had a guy who was an awesome drummer, but bloody deafened all of us. I've never seen anyone play so aggressively before, couldn't hear anything over the guy at all! Which was a shame because he's clearly talented, but obviously he couldn't hear any changes in dynamics and would just power through all the songs. Very tiring :(

And then tonight, we had a guy who is maybe the worst drummer I've ever played with. He had all the gear and no idea. But he was a gross slobbery middle aged bald guy in a tracksuit with the worst touch I've ever seen. He must have thought he was Keith Moon or something using a crash for a hi-hat in Back to Black. He kept throwing in poorly timed double kick drum riffs, his timing was all over the place, he didn't allow anyone else in the band any space at all and the gig was just a complete nightmare. He was ridiculously loud so we all had to turn up to compensate and then we'd get told to turn down and it got well silly! How can someone be such a poor musician with gear that lovely? He really just was off in his own world forcing us all to listen to his terrible drumming. God!

Grrrr! I just want to find a drummer who owns his own kit, has a car, is quiet and has a good sense of place in a band. Is it really that hard?

Jeez

Edited by Truckstop

Sorry it's not worked out so far... I'd love to give it a try, but I'm in France (and well past 'middle age'..!)..!
This type of experience does, however, give an even stronger push (as if more was needed...) to get Ped and Co to get DrumChat.co.uk on the map. It seems there's a real need for a decent contact spot for bands to go to when looking for drummers, in the same way as BassChat does.
@Ped...
How's it coming, Boss..? Any previsional date..?
Best of luck in the search; they're out there, so keep hunting...

It's hard enough finding a drummer, let alone a good one.
It's a shame that Columbian drummer doesn't live up here, I could use a chap like him & I'm happy not to gig on Saturdays. :(

My last drummer was an awesome drummer that could go from shed building to dusting & keep good time too. He used to play in a Jazz band & loved playing in interesting time signatures (Me & Him used to play some interesting breaks when the guitarists was messing with their amps/pedals). Unfortunately, his job took him north of Aberdeen.

Best of luck on finding your drummer. :)

Edited by xgsjx

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1350257810' post='1836601']
How can someone be such a poor musician with gear that lovely?
[/quote]

Sadly this is not a phenomenon restricted to drummers. Take a look round the gear listed in signatures on guitar and bass forums (yes, even basschat) and ask yourself what the ratio of touring-pro-class-gear to touring-pro-class-talent is :lol:

Drummers are hard to find. We had a good one but he's moved down south. Finding a replacement has not been straightforward :(

Drummers are hard to find , full stop .
Keyboard players also.
You'll get one eventually .

Reminds me of a situation I had when I had to do a gig for my birthday a few years back.

A few days before, our drummer pulled out because of a job at very short notice.

This sales guy, where I used to work offered to help out. He arrived wearing these leather gloves a nd insisted on standing up the whole time.
He irritated the life and soul of us, so we had to make up an excuse not to use him.
I was crying with laughter about the huge ego and no talent.
He did not rock,)

I have found, through experience, that you are only as good as your drummer. You can be Pino Pallidino, Marcus Miller or James Jameson but if you are playing with a crap drummer, you'll sound crap as well.

And if the drummer makes the bass player sound crap..........the rest of the band will sound awful too.

The drummer in my band is, from tomorrow, on tour with the proclaimers for 6 weeks so I'm having to go through the same pain as you at the moment.

[quote name='barneyg42' timestamp='1350306436' post='1837018']
Did he walk 500 miles to get that gig?

I'll get me coat. :)
[/quote]

I thought I was very amusing when I said exactly the same thing to him when he told me he was off on tour. But he'd heard it 100 times that day and I assume he'll hear it 1000 times before he's finished the tour. He'd better get used to it.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1350306035' post='1837011']
I have found, through experience, that you are only as good as your drummer. [/quote]

I've been saying to everybody, forever, that a band is only as good as its drummer. They never take any notice. I've found a good one now, only problem being he's epileptic so he can't drive, but given how hard it is to find a good one he's still a very busy boy. :) And no, strobe lights don't give him seizures, or he'd really be stuffed.

Our drummer has upped sticks and gone - his wife had a baby, which is just an excuse if you ask me. Finding another one has not gone well. We've had a couple of people we know express interest, but then you get to asking what they can play:

"Wilson Pickett?"
"No."
"Mamas and Papas?"
"No."
"Small Faces?"
"No."
(Desparately now) "Beatles?"
"Erm, not to play, no."

Gah!

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1350306035' post='1837011']

The drummer in my band is, from tomorrow, on tour with the proclaimers for 6 weeks so I'm having to go through the same pain as you at the moment.
[/quote]

...maybe when he goes he'll send back a letter from America?

Okay mine was even worse :(

Having a similarly bad week. Our drummer dropped out on us a few days before an important gig (he'd had a minor stroke, well, can't complain really). So, we got a replacement. Spent 6 hours practising the set then he phoned up the next day to say he wasn't happy and didn't want to do it. Eventually got a fabulous drummer to stand in with less than 12 hours notice who played the whole set with more-or-less zero rehearsal. Impressive, but plays in about ten other bands.

Good drummers are hard to find. In general musicians who can more-or-less play AND don't have serious personality defects AND have gear and a car that both work AND don't have a drinking problem AND have some sense of responsibility seems really just too much to ask for!!

My band's drummer is annoying me by booking us gigs without actually contacting anyone else in the band first. Then getting all stroppy when one of us says we can't make it. He's the only one without other commitments, so just ploughs ahead and confirms stuff...

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1350310368' post='1837098']
My band's drummer is annoying me by booking us gigs without actually contacting anyone else in the band first. Then getting all stroppy when one of us says we can't make it. He's the only one without other commitments, so just ploughs ahead and confirms stuff...
[/quote]

Send him up to Edinburgh. As long as he's house trained and doesn't chase cars I'll take him!

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1350310368' post='1837098']
[/quote]Set up a band google calendar and make sure everyone keeps it up to date with their n/a's. Gives whoever is trying to get gigs for the band a fighting chance.

I can understand his pain. It can be a thankless task trying to get gigs, particularly new ones. The struggles getting to speak to the right person, catching them with their diary / when they are not trying to run the bar, etc., so when you do manage to actually catch them and get a couple of dates free to find that all the effort is piss in the wind because someone else in the band suddenly is not available can be extremely galling. It's why my lot are likely to find that we don't have many gigs next year as I have got past caring :(

If you go and see other bands...take note of any players you like and get their number...that way you aren't totally in the dark.
You don't really want to have to take a punt with guys who don't dep a lot as those guys know the score and should be able to deliver
to a degree...
So, once you have got a few numbers, make sure you look after them so their number one gig is yours..