Why become a member? ×

Drummer Rant

Truckstop

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1350480228' post='1839437']
The problem is that there just aren't very many drummers. Drums are just about the least practical instruments around [b][u]so very few people have either the space or the family/neighbours willing enough to indulge them in having a set at home[/u][/b]. The consequence is that drums are not a very popular instrument, and then, to make matters worse, a high proportion of drummers literally never touch the drums unless they're at a band practice or a gig. So you've got small numbers of them in the first place, magnified by the fact that a high proportion of that small number just can't/won't practice.
[/quote]
Is that why our drummer leaves his kit at my house :blink:

Actually he has three kits and does practice inbetween our rehearsals.

and he is very good :D

i'm not slagging drummers, my best mate is a drummer. would i play with him? not on your life. he is a great drummer, but doesn't listen to what i have to say really, and stylistically, we are worlds apart. i also have another good friend, who i was in a band with, he plays drums. he's only 16, and has played since he was 10 i believe, but he lives for the drums, and he is a solid drummer, but i wish he knew more about other instruments, because it would make creating songs so much easier. when i start a jam, i don't want to then have to reconfigure what i'm already playing to fit his drum beat. also they try and make me call my instrument the bass [i]guitar[/i], because it confuses them if i just call it the bass. I quite wilfully ignore those demands, bass is an instrument, bass drum is part of a different instrument.

The last band back in Yorks started off as a Trio (Vox, Guitar and Bass) and we decided to get a drummer. We recruited a middle aged guy who did 2 or 3 gigs, then got a blood clot in his leg ( nearly killed him) so we kept his spot open for him and used deps for 6 months from the local Leeds College of Music. Just as he returned we lost our singer and he jumped ship. So we replaced the singer and kept on using Deps from LCM.
Are there any music colleges near the OP's location?

Well the thing is is we don't want a dep; we're after a family member who will stay with us for a long time as we build up our show and take it all over the place! We need someone that's willing to invest a lot of time and money turning this into a business. Can't do that with deps! Maybe in few years when we can afford to pay awesome drummers £150 a night then we'll risk deps, but at the moment, £50 a night doesn't get you very much!

Anyhoo, we're auditioning a few tonight and we'll see what comes of them! Hopefully they can at least drive and own their own drumkit!

Truckstop