Why become a member? ×

Muse Madness

lowregisterhead

I was listening to Jo Wiley driving home tonight and she played the track 'Madness' from the new Muse album. Is it my imagination, or are they sounding more and more like a Queen tribute band these days?

I thought the rather overblown Olympic contributions were a deliberate abberation and could be overlooked, but to my ears the track I heard tonight was tantalisingly close to a pastiche of 'I Want To Break Free', complete with stuttering Brian-May-a-like guitar solo. Don't get me wrong, the song was quite entertaining in its own right, but when Queen spouted their own peculiar brand of full-on pomp rock, there was always a twinkle in Freddie's eye when they did it.

With Matthew and the boys, however, to me it just sounds... well, as if it lacks substance, and a bit pompous. I should add that I've had the pleasure of meeting Chris Wolstenholme a couple of times, and he's a lovely man, but maybe they should all sit down together and listen to 'Absolution' again and try and figure out what made it the phenomenal album it was...

The think I find most frustrating about Muse is their willingness to play into the hands of those who consider them a 'novelty' act. There is so much that they could have done recently, they've had amazing longevity considering the harsh climate for bands in the top 40 album and single charts and Matt Bellamy is a terrific songwriter, an incredible musical talent despite what you might think of the band in general. He could be championing the sound of something a lot more meaningful. But instead they go into the studio and record stuff like this, it's really discouraging.

latest stuff not impressing me much.

Was never a massive fan but like the older albums. I had a slightly rough experience at one of their concerts (overexcited crowd of 17 year olds, ended up having to crowdsurf my way out to get to the back) so have some sort of negative association thing with them.

not really a fan of the new direction they've taken,
but hats off to them for their courage to experiment and innovate rather than turn out
albums that all sound the same.
I'd wager it's them who are in control of the music they make not the record companies telling them
what they want to sell.

I love the first two albums, and their B-sides compilation they did. After that they just seemed to start taking the piss out of themselves. Fair enough, they're doing what they want and it's working for them. It's not for me though.

Worst of all are the lyrics, just cheesey beyond rediculous.

[quote name='spinynorman' timestamp='1349956583' post='1832648']
Last time this happened (Pink Floyd, Genesis, Yes) they invented punk to put a stop to it.
[/quote]Yeah, and what a disaster that was!
Muse? I feel that I [b]should[/b] like them, but they just don't press any buttons. :(

I listened to the 'Madness' single and it took me a couple of goes. It's really very, very dull, and Dubstep really doesn't suit them.

Fair play to the for constantly pushing their sound and trying different approaches/genres, I just don't think that this one works, which is a shame, as I really quite like Muse.

[quote name='Blademan_98' timestamp='1349908957' post='1832271']
Not a lot of love for Muse on this forum........

I recently designed the power distribution system for their latest tour.

I am really proud of it and wish them all the best :)
[/quote]

I'd much rather listen to the gentle hum of your sound distribution system than any of the noise the band might put through it :)

[quote name='Stan_da_man' timestamp='1349982512' post='1833200']
MATT BELLAMY - LET YOUR BAND MATES WRITE SOME SONGS.
[/quote]

Chris sings two of the songs on the album, I also remember reading that Chris was nervous as he was taking the lead in writing the new songs while matt was getting married/having a baby.

At first I wasn't sure on madness but I kept listening and each time it grows on me. I do actually really enjoy listening to it, yea it's similar to queen but I still think its in Muse's style.

I love how it builds throughout and towards the end sounds epic/euphoric especially the falsetto singing.

I would say I was a pretty big muse fan, I can understand where people are coming from though, definately is a different sound but for me, still retaining the Muse edge

[quote name='spinynorman' timestamp='1349956583' post='1832648']
Last time this happened (Pink Floyd, Genesis, Yes) they invented punk to put a stop to it.
[/quote]

I don't know about Pink Floyd or Yes, but Genesis didn't start putting out sh*t records until after punk happened ;)

[quote name='Blademan_98' timestamp='1349908957' post='1832271']
Not a lot of love for Muse on this forum........

I recently designed the power distribution system for their latest tour.

I am really proud of it and wish them all the best :)
[/quote]

Am I the only one who thought this was a rather cool and impressive job? Without you, things would be a bit dark and quiet, right? lol!

Tell us more!

[quote name='Wil' timestamp='1349993436' post='1833445']
I don't know about Pink Floyd or Yes, but Genesis didn't start putting out sh*t records until after punk happened ;)
[/quote]

Maybe I'm being too specific. Punk was claimed to be a reaction to prog rock. All that era was a bit of a blur musically for me anyway.

The real question is - if Muse are falling into self indulgence and pretension, what will we have to invent to put a stop to it?

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1350072413' post='1834377']
Am I the only one who thought this was a rather cool and impressive job? Without you, things would be a bit dark and quiet, right? lol!

Tell us more!
[/quote]

Around three months ago, my company were asked if we could design and supply a power and data distribution system for a well known band.
I came up with a 3D design and after a few tweaks it was accepted.
Then I was sworn to secrecy and the band name was revealed to me. I like Muse and I was really proud to be a part of the whole thing.
I have been itching to tell people but apart from being forbidden, the negativity around here also put me off (this must be the third anti muse thread!).

Finally, the system was delivered and it all works great :)

I have photo's but sadly, again, I have been forbidden from posting them.

Without my system, the show would indeed be very dark lol.

Edited by Blademan_98

Well, I think that's pretty cool. I think it's easy to forget that a massive amount of work goes in to developing and delivering a touring show.

It's a shame you can't post too much information about it, but can understand why. Nevertheless, it's great to have heard a bit about it. So it was mainly for lighting, or stage power / FOH too? Either way, it sounds like a massive set of plans!