Why become a member? ×

London Bass Guitar Show 2013 - 2 and 3/03/2013

Silvia Bluejay

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1362328313' post='1998423']
I've taken a few photos of both models on show, but only from the front. I have informed the guys at the stand of the existence of Basschat and the interest their basses are receiving - they may sign up and join the conversation soon.
[/quote]

Chris from Square One is now a Basschat member, and will be happy to help with the bass. He contacted me via PM and I have directed him to this thread and to BigRedX's relevant post.

Hello, all! Was great meeting the Basschat guys and gals, and getting involved in the rally. Really friendly people. Really good idea, that is being done for a most worthy charity. Here's a video I did of the day, but there will be more going into each brand more in-depth. I tried a lot of Bass guitars that day!

The actual Basschat/Rally video will be up tomorrow :)

Oh. and the Bass guitar in the picture with the big hole in? Really odd to play. Not because it feels bad, but because it feels really nice to play, but then you look down and realise its got a big hole in it, lol. Sounded great (although the Bass show is the WORST place to get an idea of sound!) and felt really balanced. I'd recommend anyone at least try one if they get the opportunity...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kV6mH7lj9x4[/media]

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1362426653' post='1999645']
Who can we see in the queue directly behind the youth receiving signatures...!?
[/quote]

Ah - you mean the one that is trying to look like they haven't *actually* noticed the camera at about 0:10..? :lol:

[quote name='rushbo' timestamp='1362335252' post='1998560']

Far worse was the rumbling from the TC Electronics stand which made my fillings vibrate on a number of occasions.

[/quote]

Unfortunately they are the same at every show I've seen them at - total disregard for any sort of quiet period arrangements and always stupidly loud and/or slamming really low volume rumblings at everyone around them.

At one show I was at the other exhibitors almost organised a lynch party to make them quieten down a bit.

I get the fact that they are an amp and effects company so they want people to hear their products but this disregard for everyone else is just downright rude at times.

So pleased I was just about far enough away not to have to put up with the worst of their excesses :(

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvW6ZeSygvM&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]https://www.youtube....be_gdata_player[/url]

[/quote]
her indoors and the daughter are stood at the counter doing something that did not involve me getting a new bass in that clip :(

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1362293677' post='1997960']
I just want to say a huge thanks to Bluejay for representin' BC this year and to Barrie for inviting us sit in with Bassgear. Not only did Bluejay donate her time but she also organised the banners. I think next year we're going to have to look seriously at being bona fide exhibitors. I would have been there but flights and resignation and contracts and tax things and logistics worked conspired against me by a week. :( Still...there's always the SE Bass Bash :)
[/quote]

It was great to have the BC presence next to us for the weekend - Silvia was even conscripted on Friday to help us build the stand and get it ready for Saturday :)

The organisers were also really friendly and, with a bit of shrewd negotiating from BassGear's owner Phil, let us extend outwards to increase the BC presence which meant we could use a pop-up display stand for the BC banner - just don't tell the guys at Fodera as it was their logo and brand stuff we covered up for BC. . .

Of course the best bit was seeing some old friends for a natter and making some new ones :)

[/quote]

You've got to admit she's certainly putting herself about, isn't she?? :lol:[size=4] [/size][size=4] ;)[/size]

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvW6ZeSygvM&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]https://www.youtube....be_gdata_player[/url]

[/quote]

Wait until Shelley lets me have her photos of David Ellefson and me! B) :sun_bespectacled: \m/ :D \m/

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1362174132' post='1996908']

D'oh, haven't seen you in YEARS! Hope all is delightful :)
[/quote]

All's good cheers!

Had a good day. Tried the new all valve 300 heads from Ashdown and Fender. Both are lovely, i think the Fender wins even though they haven't bothered with speakon connections.

No more slap bass please haha.

I winner how many people only bought a bass on the slap tone and they don't use slap in their bands.

except for the usual slappy noise, wasn't a bad show. One of my biggest impressions: those Finnish basses, Stenback. They only had four at their booth, and a preamp pedal, and that's about it (oh, and that cute tall blonde). Usual passive J-style basses, ash, maple/rosewood etc, nothing special, right? So I kept walking pass that booth until that blonde literally dragged me into it and told me to play, and, I kid you not, those basses have the most comfortable necks I've ever held. And I've owned some nice basses, Fenders, Warwicks, Yamahas, and played some nice ones, like Paul Turner's '66 Jazz many times, which is not only a very good specimen, but also well looked after and worn in and Plek'd, and seriously, those Stenbacks.... They have sold all four already on Saturday, and took orders and deposits for another four, which means something as they are like 3 grand each!

What else? Good news from Warwick is that there will be no more Pro-Series Star Bass - it will be Rockbass now (they've had a black fiver, I played it a lot), exactly the same except for the serial number starting with RB-*** instead of PS-***, and Chinese origin intead of Korean. Why is it good? Because of some £400 smaller RRP, that's why. I liked the bass a lot, sounded like a Jazz with more acoustic aspect, and the B string was SERIOUSLY good. Other than that, I re-established my opinion that Streamer LX is the best sounding Warwick model. Had a chat with Andy Irvine and Hans Peter Wilfer, lovely chaps. Chatted Bluejay up too, I forgot to say I'm a basschatter though. My private highlight: Andy Levy came over to the Warwick booth when I was playing that Star Bass, I started playing one of his Brand New Heavies lines, his smile was priceless :)

[quote name='such' timestamp='1362527089' post='2001001']
except for the usual slappy noise, wasn't a bad show. One of my biggest impressions: those Finnish basses, Stenback. They only had four at their booth, and a preamp pedal, and that's about it (oh, and that cute tall blonde). Usual passive J-style basses, ash, maple/rosewood etc, nothing special, right? So I kept walking pass that booth until that blonde literally dragged me into it and told me to play, and, I kid you not, those basses have the most comfortable necks I've ever held. And I've owned some nice basses, Fenders, Warwicks, Yamahas, and played some nice ones, like Paul Turner's '66 Jazz many times, which is not only a very good specimen, but also well looked after and worn in and Plek'd, and seriously, those Stenbacks.... They have sold all four already on Saturday, and took orders and deposits for another four, which means something as they are like 3 grand each!

[/quote]

Those Stenback's were really nice - I agree the necks were something special - and sooooooo lightweight - very nice basses indeed

There was a chap I kept seeing at the show who I recognised but couldn't place... It's been haunting me for days.
Just realised who it was (or who I think it was) - I'm sure it was the psychologist/therapist chap from the Jeremy Kyle show... Or is that just a bit too weird? Perhaps playing the bass is his release valve.