Why become a member? ×

A small rant...

Dave Holden

First off, I just want to say that I think this site is fantastic and has opened up the bass market for me which, before, was only filled by ebay and I know how we all feel about that.

What I don't get about this site is why people feel the need to comment on my 'for sale' topics and state that they have no money. I'm thinking this should be banned. Some people have an appreciation for the items on sale but there is no need to write things like "love this bass but totally out of funds right now." I see these posts every day and they are just pointless.

The sellers are seriously trying to make some money by advertising their items but the forums are plagued with people who have this inherent desire to tell you how broke they are. You wouldn't walk into an estate agents and say "excuse me sir, I really like the house advertised in your window but unfortunately I have no money" and then walk out...

These people come in to the same category as those who seem genuinely interested in your item, you send them a billion more photos which they have personally asked for, then they disappear off the face of the planet without so much of a thank you.

Okay, rant over. I appreciate forums are places where people can post what they like, it just seems a bit much sometimes.

Thanks for reading,

Dave

And when one of those "out of funds" posts is added to your thread what happens? Your thread goes back to the top of the list (and Luke beat me to it). Free bump that might be within the 36 hour rule. Don't put them down, people are looking at your sale thread.

Edited by BassBus

I don't mind folk coming on a FS thread saying 'Love this, but no funds'. It shows their appreciation of the item and generally jollies the sale along bump-wise. It's good to have third parties giving props to your stuff, and I'm sure makes buyers feel better. What gets my goat is folk who aren't interested/buying, but feel compelled to comment in a negative matter. I think if you've nothing positive to add, then bugger off.

I'd take the bump... I might comment that a bass, for example, is a nice looker, but it doesn't mean I want to buy it.

The alternative could be that the FS thread only has one poster..and that is the seller..which is not a good look either...at least if people comment on the item, you and others know that someone out there is interested in your thread.

Pretty lonely place otherwise :lol; :lol:

I can't understand why the rant. You get a bump, some appreciation, interest registered, etc. In fact I sold a lovely Warwick to someone who said they had no cash. I said I'd be happy to hold it for them if they were genuinely interested but needed some time to get the cash together. Six weeks later they paid for the bass and took it home. That BC member is still delighted with it.

I think also... lets take an example.... silddx sticks a bass up for sale. A few of the folk who have been around longer and know him, and maybe even owned/played the bass chip in... it lets other people know that actually the bass is desirable (and if you buy it and don't get on with it you might find it easier to shift) and also that the person is a decent one.

There is at least one item in the forsale section that's been there a while, only the seller and the odd newbie post there- and theres a good reason I think why folk who've been on here longer give that particular item a wide berth....

Dave you have to remember this is a social website first and a marketplace second. People may want to talk about your items, people might want to ask questions without giving you a deposit first, and so on.

You might be better off thinking of the threads you start as being public threads that you started rather than "your" threads, if you see what I mean.

[quote name='Jellyfish' timestamp='1347953843' post='1806966']
It can also push someone who has been watching the thread with interest. If they see people are interested, then they're less likely to sit on the fence about purchasing your bass. :)
[/quote]
And let's face it, most of us like people to admire our taste in basses.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1347951913' post='1806933']
I met Dave last year, he was in a band on the same bill as us. He's a very nice guy actually :)
[/quote]

It was supposed to be a light hearted "don't take yourself too seriously" jibe. Certainly no offence meant and nice people are quite often miserable or grumpy :-D