Why become a member? ×

Tribute acts degrading?

mcgraham

[quote name='mcgraham' timestamp='1346521260' post='1790245']
I think he's talented. I think that this particular use of his talent is degrading.

I never said I didn't like the music. I don't get where this argument is coming from.
[/quote]
Why is it degrading?
Why do you judge people?
Why do you think that what you do is any less degrading?

I wish I could remember what they were called, but I saw an awful Rammstein tribute a couple of years ago. Guitarist was barely in time, fronted by an out of tune, chubby goth with a lass on bass who was there presumably because she was willing to wear a short skirt.

They were opening for Mentallica who were quite fun and High On Maiden who were great at the Agincourt in Camberley.

[quote name='mcgraham' timestamp='1346521167' post='1790244']
...............backing tracks on a shiny floor at the end of a wedding, just beside the kitchen.[/quote]

.........maybe that's how Australian Pink Floyd started out? Or maybe it just pays his beer money & he's happy with it.......... depends on who you think should or would do the cringing.......... I'd still prefer that to kareoke...... though I suppose it's only a couple of steps removed.

I did 7 years in a Queen tribute act and had a blast. Loads of punters loved our set (75% of the 'live at Wembley '86 set) and they really liked what we did. It helped that our singer was a dead ringer for Freddie and sounded an awful lot like him too. Our drummer looked like Brian May and we were all Queen fans. We made a lot of money, enjoyed ourselves and made a lot of audiences really happy.

Nobody died either - so I'd call that a successful project. I've seen some awful ones though, just dire.

Used to be a real cynic about tribute bands but one night ended up seeing "Mark Taylor - A dead ringer for Meatloaf" at the old Robin R&B club ( we were meant to be seeing Deep Purple at the NEC, but that was cancelled). I've got to say that it was great fun night out. Have since seen a deep Purple/Whitesnake/Rainbow tribute night (3 different bands) and a Thin Lizzy tribute, and both were also really good nights.

Not degrading at all, If I was good enough to be in one I'd do it like a shot. - anyone fancy a Family/Streetwalkers/Shortlist tribiute band??

Theres all sorts of tribute acts, some good, some not so good. But tbh, theres not much difference between a tribut act and covers bands that all play the same stuff is there really.

Personally I cant uderstand the attraction of seeing somebody dressed up as you hero's unless its done a bit tongue in cheek. Certainly not the all weekend camping out type mock festivals such as Glastonbudget etc. Loads of tribute acts, almost all of em doing it for nowt even though tickets are about £80 so i believe.

Anybody around the black country next weekend gets the opportunity to go see this, free..

[attachment=117195:431102_10151362101997942_303426733_n.jpg]

Edited by BRANCINI

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1346520640' post='1790234']
I'm assuming he's just miming. In which case, what's the point of him bothering?

Edit: If he's not miming I'd give him a 10/10 for vocals and 7/10 for the dancing. I'd give a 5/10 for the whole Micheal Jackson experience because most tributes are a bit naff.
[/quote]

Although I do have some friends who did an Allman Brothers tribute at the fringe recently which was pretty good.

I don't think I'd bother going to see a tribute act but provided they don't take themselves too seriously, I suppose it's pretty harmless. It becomes embarrassing when you can see they're obviously enjoying basking in someone else's glory. There are productive and unproductive ways of dealing with low self-esteem.

[quote name='the_skezz' timestamp='1346528719' post='1790335']

+ 1. And acts that don't tour very often and sell out quickly when they do.

Looking at you, Rolling Stones...
[/quote]
Maybe the shows that go on these days take a lot more funding , thinking of the Kyle monague thing where she had a whole water show thing going on on the stage , must of cost loadsto put on ! Saying that I do still think prices are too high

When it comes to tributes, I reckon that audience seem to look for the following when watching -
- does the singer look like the original?
- does the singer/band sound like the original?
- is it a good show?
As the gig goes on, each one is superseded by the next.

I used to play in a Bowie tribute. Did the singer look like Bowie? Not exactly. He's quite a bit more heavily built than David Bowie, but certainly does not shy away from the outrageous (and skimpy) outfits! This could be slightly cringeworthy at times.
Did he sound like Bowie? Not bad at all, a great singer overall, and he really put effort into copying the phrasing and singing style.
Was it a good show? Yes. Obviously I can't speak for the entire crowd, but my observations were that the initial bemusement/cynicism soon gave way to enjoyment. Where the singer lacks some of the aesthetic points, he more than makes up for in showmanship, charisma and singing.

My favourite comment was the man who had seen Bowie a few years previously, but said we were much better! I suppose that this another point to bear in mind; the great acts were at their best when full of youthful energy, and the shows can be a bit less exciting when they're 65 years old and rooted to the spot. A tribute offers some of that 'golden era' magic.

To answer the OP, is it degrading? Sure there can be some embarrassing bits on the aesthetic side of things, but if the band show that they respect the original greats, play well and the crowd have a good time, it's definitely not degrading.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1346562144' post='1790542']

I strongly disagree.

(Bob Dylan sometimes *chooses* not to sing, but he can)
[/quote]

A lot of people think morrisey can't sing , I strongly disagree , just listen to songs like back to the old house ,

There are good and bad bands as demonstrated in some of the videos posted

But nothing wrong with tribute acts or covers bands, the band members and punters enjoy them and that's something nobody should critise any more than watching a stage play that's been done before

Agreed as someone said above, it should be tongue in cheek in attitude, but then most things entertainment wise should be

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1346522540' post='1790268']
I did 7 years in a Queen tribute act and had a blast. Loads of punters loved our set (75% of the 'live at Wembley '86 set) and they really liked what we did. It helped that our singer was a dead ringer for Freddie and sounded an awful lot like him too. Our drummer looked like Brian May and we were all Queen fans. We made a lot of money, enjoyed ourselves and made a lot of audiences really happy.

Nobody died either - so I'd call that a successful project. I've seen some awful ones though, just dire.
[/quote]

Couldn't think of a better band to cover. Been looking for years for a Queen Tribute who need a bassist. Guaranteed bookings and great music.

Some can be cringeworthy, but some can be excellent.

What I do get wound up about it is those so called friends and relatives who support you no matter what. I'm sorry this is where the unconditional love comes to an end. If you're sh*te, you ain't ever going to wake up and smell the coffee if your mum and dog are telling you how wonderful you are all the time. You've seen it on all the talent shows - X-Factor, Britain's Got Talent, they stand there all tearful and proud willing their star on. They just can't help themselves. The World wouldn't have to endure all this crap talent if the ones who truly loved them told them the truth. You're sh*te!! you'll never be Frank Sinatra, the only place you should sing is in the f*cking bathroom!

Rant over ;-)

Edited by tonyclaret

[quote name='musophilr' timestamp='1346520364' post='1790228']
....Neil Young....is a dreadful guitarist and his singing isn't much better. Bob Dylan is also a dreadful guitarist who can't sing....
[/quote]

You haven't got the point of rock and roll, have you?