Why become a member? ×

Tribute acts degrading?

mcgraham

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1346768327' post='1792921']
......... it doesn't half seem to matter to you !
[/quote]

I don't exactly lie awake worrying about it, Doc...:)

Every good thing I have ever gained in life has been a consequence of my looking at experience A (a book, a film, a piece of music, a restaurant) and then, through reading, experience, discussion etc, moving on to experience B and C and D and so on. Over my nearly 50 years, people have said to me 'have you heard Jaco/Dave Holland/Gary Karr?'? Did you see that movie? Have you read 'Watchmen/I Robot/The LIfe Of Pi/The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime'? and, by listening to these suggestions, I have enjoyed a great deal of new and interesting experiences and developed all sorts of insights, some of greater value than others. The buzz is in the journey not the destination. When I challenge people about their approach to it all, I don't actually [i]care[/i] whether they accept my suggestions/perspectives (although many here do as they have told me so). When I say 'tribute bands are blah, blah, blah', anyone reading it is entirely free to ignore my comments as most do. I'd like to think that some people would think about them before they dismiss them and maybe others will agree. What matters is the debate not the outcome. I am not right or wrong, I just am.

If anyone here goes to see a Pink Floyd tribute band tonight, I can't see them having their night ruined by a nagging voice in the back of their head saying 'I want to like this but can't because Bilbo said...'. If someone is sitting there before going out thinking 'Pink Floyd tribute again or band I've never seen before?' my comments may make a difference and 'The Pink Floyd Perspective' can sue me for loss of earnings. I don't care what people watch/listen to, its their choice. And I certainly don't care if people like what I like. I just like the idea that people think about what they are consuming and don't just accept what they are given.

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1346770587' post='1792965']
Quick point here but how many originals bands play weddings and functions :P
[/quote]

Interesting point. How many people go to weddings to see a band they want to see/hear? How many can leave early without offending the bride/groom? How many sit at the back going 'FFS, not Mustang Sally AGAIN'!!' :lol:

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1346771174' post='1792971']
How many sit at the back going 'FFS, not Mustang Sally AGAIN'!!' :lol:[/quote]

How many go up and request "White Wedding" at their best mates wedding, without having listened to the words that closely before, and are still waiting for his wife to speak to them? :blush:

My wife and I told the band at my wedding, 'don't play anything they can dance to'.

And they didn't.

And when people came up and asked 'can you play something we can dance to?', they said 'No'. :lol:

I had a great time ;)

I find dancing at weddings to be a bit like singing in church; 98% of the people there doin't want to do it and only do it because they are forced to by threats or coercion.

I've played weddings with three of my previous originals bands.

If the bride and groom are fans, and it makes them happy, then... why not.

Back to the wider discussion - a good song is a good song. As a bass player, I couldn't care less who wrote it.

Edited by wateroftyne

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1346771597' post='1792978']
My wife and I told the band at my wedding, 'don't play anything they can dance to'.

And they didn't.

And when people came up and asked 'can you play something we can dance to?', they said 'No'. :lol:

I had a great time ;)

I find dancing at weddings to be a bit like singing in church; 98% of the people there doin't want to do it and only do it because they are forced to by threats or coercion.
[/quote]

Depends which weddings and which churches you've been to. My experience to both has been 98% the other way. (I'm in the 2% btw as I can neither sing nor dance.)

Any band is fine by me as long as they put some effort and care into the process. Don't get this 'originals are inherently better' thing, though.

What's being proposed is that someone playing a song that [i]they[/i] wrote is 'good' but if somone else plays it that's [i]bad[/i] because they're not the person who wrote it.

Because there's some kind of magical fairy-dust thing that occurs when someone plays their own material and there's all this 'honesty' and 'integrity' flying out of their arse like bat-monkeys and whatnot and the lamb will lie down with the lion and we'll all make babies and sing kumbayah in a big melting pot.

But when someone sings [i]someone else's song[/i], ooh, that's like [i]money[/i], isn't it and money's for breadheads, man. Never trust a hippy. Lookie me, ma - I is writen a sogn, I are a gud persson not lik peple in tirbute bnads who wil burn in helfire iternel.

Quite the most perfect piffle I've ever read. If all this drivel was - I dunno - a [i]cock [/i]or something, it would be a Johnny 'The Wad' Holmes of cock.

[color=#ffffff].[/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1346772286' post='1792993']

Depends which weddings and which churches you've been to. My experience to both has been 98% the other way. (I'm in the 2% btw as I can neither sing nor dance.)
[/quote]

Welsh Methodist in the 1970s and the annual family wedding since then.

'Mmmmm nnn ggggth emmmm ggu mmmunnnner'

Of course, its all bullocks, Skank. Because the debate we are having has no purpose other than filling up basschat time. I still won't go see a tribute band and you still won't give a s*** about that fact :lol:

I have tickets to see Uli Jon Roth this Sunday in a pub in Ipswich. Go me!

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1346772657' post='1793002']
Because the debate we are having has no purpose other than [s]filling up basschat time[/s] generating page traffic to buy Ped another ancient camera.

I have tickets to see Uli Jon Roth this Sunday in a pub in Ipswich. [/quote]

Mr Roth's appeal would seem to have become more 'selective'. Ask him to play 'Winds of Change' for me, will you? Lighters out! :lol:

[size=3]Frog and Wad, Ipswich 09-09-12: Uli John unleashing the Roth[/size]

Edited by skankdelvar

Watching people doing tribute bands, however well they do it, is not so much good or bad, in my eyes, it's just pointless :lol: Actually, its not. It can be an earner (although a Floyd tribute band I know are breaking up as they are not earning anything because of the high overheads) and I have to agree that there is no shame in that. I guess what I am saying is that, from my perspective (which is only one and no more or less valid for that), the tribute band concept does not provide me with what I look for in a band either as a player or listener. End of. I acknowledge that those of you who go down that route are not second class citizens or vermin or anything :) and I wish you good luck (really - I am not being ironic now)

I have been contacted by solicitors acting on behalf of Pleasuregrowth Ltd, the owners of the Frog and Wad in Ipswich, in connection with the forthcoming appearance at said venue of Mr Uli John Roth, the german axe hero and inspiration to many of a certain vintage.

In an earlier post I exorted gig-goers to salute Mr Roth's performance by igniting their lighters, the clear implication being that these should be waved hither and yon in celebration of Mr Roth's ability to extract unearthly noises from his six-string love machine.

I now recognise that my foolish suggestion exposed customers of the Frog and Wad to a serious fire risk; which risk would be exacerbated by the inevitable presence at Mr Roth's gig of luxuriant facial hair, long greying ponytails and rampant chest wigs (yin-yang medallions optional).

I sincerely regret advocating this dangerous practice and withdraw it wholeheartedly. I have made a small contribution to a charity of the Frog and Wad's choice.

I am sorry for my thoughtlessness, which could have seriously impeded the audience's absorption of Mr Roth's integrity.

Yours

SDV

[color=#ffffff].[/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1346772405' post='1792997']
Welsh Methodist in the 1970s and the annual family wedding since then.

'Mmmmm nnn ggggth emmmm ggu mmmunnnner'
[/quote]

I see your point, maybe get out to more?

I remember a wedding in a church when no-one sang and the organist was clearly drunk. Sounds funny, but wasn't.

Apart from that one miserable affair almost all churches and weddings I go to, singing and dancing is difficult to stop.

Maybe if there was an unknown originals band playing there would be none.

I do have a bit of a problem with solo tributes. Elvis mainly. If you don't like Elvis you won't go. If you really love Elvis you won't want someone murdering the King's songs and so won't go. Although I'm in the former camp I find it a lose/lose situation.

Yes, an Elvis impersonator at a wedding, now I see where you're coming from!

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1346759921' post='1792719']
^This^

Hells Bells (AC/DC tribute) are playing locally soon, and I'll certainly be getting tickets. I've seen them a couple of times before and they have been excellent. I'm unlikely to get the same 'intimate' experience from the real thing, assuming they are touring anywhere near the UK in the forseeable future.

I think there's a certain amount of snobbery in some of the responses to this thread. Yes, probably all of us would like to be in a top original band - however the majority of us will probably never reach those heights. I have a feeling that some of the site members here are in tribute or covers bands, and other members could perhaps be a little more supportive. However the occasional negative sentiments do not reflect the overall positive vibe of basschat. There are good & bad tribute acts, the same as there are good and bad bands of all genres.
<Puts tin hat on ready for flaming>
[/quote]
A very good friend of mine, who i used to be in a band with, was the lead guitarist in Hells Bells for several years. They did some really big gigs to massive crowds all across the UK and in Europe so i guess there's plenty of people who have no problem with tribute bands!

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1346763496' post='1792804']
No, it's not. It is more than that. What Dylan stood for in the late 60s/early 70s is not served by someone dressing up as Dylan or even playing his stuff.
[/quote]

Did you see "No Direction Home"? What Dylan thought he stood for wasn't what most people assumed he stood for. Certainly wasn't what Joan Baez thought he stood for. Maybe he was being deliberately difficult for Scorsese's benefit, maybe he stood for something and then changed his mind. Whatever it was, he did a good job of undermining it.

Steve Gibbons does a very good Dylan tribute, sometimes a couple of songs in his live act, sometimes touring as The Dylan Project with Dave Pegg, amongst others. Having seen him, it's clearly done out of admiration and respect. Maybe someone hears that and goes on to find the real Dylan, when they hadn't before. Maybe they get inspired to do something of their own. As Vic and Bob said, it doesn't really matter.

[font=Arial]Last week I was gigging in a blues/ragtime duo, this weekend I'm in a covers band and next week I'm playing in an originals band, [/font]
[font=Arial] [/font]
[font=Arial]As I said chaps... blinkers off, widen your horizons and embrace all live music.[/font]

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1346772354' post='1792995']
What's being proposed is that someone playing a song that [i]they[/i] wrote is 'good' but if somone else plays it that's [i]bad[/i] because they're not the person who wrote it.
[/quote]
With respect Skank, that's [b]not[/b] what is being proposed. It's nothing to do with who wrote the song, it's about slavishly copying a version made popular by someone else, regardless of the composer. FWIW I've spent all my life doing other peoples songs. :o ;)

As for the [i]"What's wrong with tribute acts? We're all quite happy to watch movies/plays where people are pretending to be someone else."[/i] argument. The fact is, with movies we're watching [b]actors[/b] act. With tribute bands we're watching [b]musicians[/b] act...and we all know that has never worked! :(

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1346769058' post='1792941']
I think I'd tend to side with Bilbao and SteveK on the expression in music against just the notes.
This is the difference in covers bands who get the notes right but nothing much else...it is playing by numbers.
I want to see a band really doing it..with a piece of the player in there adding or maybe even taking the song/track on a bit...this defines good and not so good musos IMV..
and the version is more honest, IMO...

Not that it is the be-all and end-all...and I can enjoy a night of bland covers or tributes easily enough, it is just that I think the band might be missing a trick..
but then also, the band will not realise they are missing that trick. ...oh well. not the end of the world, but I know what I would prefer
[/quote]

Bilbao? Tell me, John - is that a typo or a tribute to Bilbo?