Why become a member? ×

Tribute acts degrading?

mcgraham

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1346575875' post='1790618']
You haven't got the point of rock and roll, have you?
[/quote]

There's lots of good guitarists who can write songs and sing well, all within the genre you might call "rock'n'roll". I know who I would prefer to listen to. I suspect you may be confusing punk with rock'n'roll.

I'm pretty much with chardbass on this one. I don't see why that Michael Jackson guy is troubling anyone; that video has only had 186 views, of which a few will be curious basschatters. I won't pretend his performance was life changing but he's hardly going to make his millions or steal shows from my band. Good luck to him. The tribute scene isn't my thing but it can be done very well & clearly there is a market for it. Live & let live I say

[quote name='musophilr' timestamp='1346594620' post='1790935']
....There's lots of good guitarists who can write songs and sing well, all within the genre you might call "rock'n'roll". I know who I would prefer to listen to. I suspect you may be confusing punk with rock'n'roll....
[/quote]

The point is that sounding [i]good[/i] isn't the point. In rock and roll the performance is the point.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1346600054' post='1791033']
The point is that sounding [i]good[/i] isn't the point. In rock and roll the performance is the point.
[/quote]

How so? How can the performance be good if the playing/singing/songwriting are sh*te? There's sh*te music that can be performed with technical accuracy and a lot of that sold in the pop charts, mainly to the undiscerning. Then there's sh*te performances (you see those on Saturday night tv sometimes) of material which may or may not be sh*te, but either way you wouldn't want to listen to it.

It's all a bit too close to stars in your eyes for my liking, all very end of the pier variety show.... I just don't see the point. I saw Floyd, but even if I hadn't, I really don't need to see a bunch of clones 'pretending' to be them, no matter how well they can play.

Its all entertainment isnt it ?

If you want perfection, then I guess rock n roll aint your thing. Mate of mine made a reasonable living for years playing accordian in a German oompah band, sometimes playing sets of stiuff like Knees up Mother Brown, he even dressed up in lederhosen and a little hat wth a feather in it. a good laugh, and it went down well. But you wouldnt go home and play the records would you ?

[quote name='mcgraham' timestamp='1346514247' post='1790146']
So, I don't think tribute acts are necessarily degrading, cringeworthy or embarrassing...

... but the fact remains, sometimes they are.

Exhibit A:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX0Iz8vTxNg[/media]
[/quote]
I don't think any music is necessarily degrading, cringeworthy or embarrassing...

and whether tribute or covers or original, it makes absolutely no difference. I must have heard hundreds of cringeworthy originals bands in my time - probably played in some of them.

The youtube link appears to be a 'dressed up for the part karaoke' and I didn't think it degrading, cringeworthy or embarrassing.

Tribute acts don't offend me nearly as much as they seem to a lot of people on here. I don't think I'd ever choose to go and see one though I don't think.

[quote name='musophilr' timestamp='1346520364' post='1790228']
Neil Young is a competent lyricist and has been known to write some good tunes, but he is a dreadful guitarist and his singing isn't much better.
[/quote]

Neil Young is a great guitarist.

[quote name='JellyKnees' timestamp='1346603224' post='1791077']
all very end of the pier variety show
[/quote]
And that's bad because.......??

I've done a bunch of tribute gigs and didn't find them degrading at all. Most of the time,the gigs were good and
the venue was usually pretty full. Not to mention that the money was usually pretty decent.
I don't like the solo singer with backing tracks type tributes( but I don't like that anyway-tribute or not)but I've got no problem
with playing with a good tribute band.
I was invited to see a Michael Jackson tribute about 18 months-2 years ago,and the band (and 'MJ') all played and sang along
with the original album tracks.It was an entertaining show,but I didn't think it was cool to do that.

The only time I've seen a tribute act was towards the end of a get together with old friends when we'd decided to go round the pubs in Wakefield for old times' sake. We finished the night in a soul-destroying club on Westgate where we saw a Tina Turner impersonator.

Never again!

I think the only distinction I'd make between tribute 'bands' and singers with backing tapes is that at least with the singers, there is only one person who looks like they've got so drunk they have lost the rest of their stag party.

i think theres a distinction between singing along to records, miming, backing tapes/kareoke. which might be entertaining, but I wouldnt bother to watch.

Also between Tribute bands, who will maybe play a set consisting entirely of numbers by a particular band, and a tribute act, that dresses up, which I find a bit weird to be honest.

It is all work but they will live or die on how good they are...as anyone will be..

I play in a tribute band... but we are a multi tribute act band :lol: :lol:

I don't have an opinion either way..if the act are good, I can like them.
Would I do it myself..?? not really.

If you play other bands' music, you are classed as a cover band. Most jazz bands and Orchestras are also cover bands. If you cover one band,s songs you are immediately classified as a tribute band. We are lucky in that Steely Dan never ad an image, so no need for wigs etc. If you enjoy the music, then it doesn't matter what the band or artist looks like.

Edited by Pete Academy

[quote name='Pete Academy' timestamp='1346703753' post='1792229']
If you play other bands' music, you are classed as a cover band. Most jazz bands and Orchestras are also cover bands. If you cover one band,s songs you are immediately classed ad a tribute band. We are lucky in that Steely Dan never had an image, so no need for wigs etc. If you enjoy the music, then it doesn't matter what the bando or artwist looks like.
[/quote]

I've seen your band on youtube you're sh*t hot! I don't think you have to worry about being at the cheesy end of the spectrum.

Neil Young was individual and experimental, and inspired many other musicians and has a loyal fan base, not sure how anyone can conclude his skills are lacking, he just choose to do something with them thats a bit marmite

Personally I like CSN better without Y , but like Neil Young as a solo artist.

I also like Tribute bands as a concept, especially if the musicians enjoy it along with a hall packed with fans

probably get slagged off for saying this, but, I would rather go and see a good tribute playing in the local pub, free admission decent beer nice and dry, than pay £100 to stand in a wet cold field or a massive arena with crap sound , with about 50000 other people watching the original thing from about half a mile back. I agree with a couple of posts on here, the secret is not to take youself to serously, saw a stones tribute once and 'Brian Jones' came on wearing angels wings, brilliant

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1346704357' post='1792245']
I've seen your band on youtube you're sh*t hot! I don't think you have to worry about being at the cheesy end of the spectrum.
[/quote]

+1 - seen Pete's lot on youtube and they do fantastic reproductions of classic and distinctive songs.

I think as long as there are great bands you simply can't see live anymore, in original or in some cases even in heavily diluted form, it's crying out for someone to go out and faithfully recreate their stuff, and there's obviously a market for it as a live experience. It shouldn't be degrading as long as the original music and/or lyrics stand up to scrutiny (it helps if the original act were actually that 'original' in the first place) and above all it has to be done really, really well. As for cheesy - there's a place for cheesy too if it's done sincerely!

BTW - can I be the first to mention that Oasis made a good bit out of being a bad Beatles tribute act :P