Why become a member? ×

Pub landlord 'bans' certain songs

Len_derby

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1346049999' post='1784377']
The original meaning is to kill one in ten (hence the "deci" part) which in my book isn't a large percentage at all.
[/quote]

Although if 3 songs were banned from the 30 song set, that is infact one in ten. This could go on for hours.

Back on topic, my band have never played any of the songs that have been mentioned in this thread. The closest we've got is playing Use Somebody by KOL, and me suggesting Teenage Kicks, which like all of my song suggestions, never happened.

Liam

I think I've played nearly, if not all of, the songs mentioned so far. :)

However, the last time we had a count up we had about 80 songs we can 'pull out of the bag' whenever we want, so having to drop some is never a problem for us.

As for whether the landlord is justified in banning certain songs, it really depends what you're motivation for playing is in the first place.
If you're looking for a fun night out, then having restrictions placed on your set is going to hurt.
If you're out to earn money, then he who pays the bucks calls the shots and you just have to accept that's the way things work.

[quote name='Len_derby' timestamp='1345919574' post='1783200']
A pub near to me has, over the last couple of years, become a regular venue for bands. The landlord has built the pub up nicely, with good ale on offer too.

He's just put out a message on the pub's Facebook page saying that any band that attempts to play the following songs will be fined £40.
Wishing Well, Sex on Fire, Teenage Kicks.

I laughed when I read it and I suspect it's been done tongue-in-cheek.
I know, from conversations I've had with him, that he's a genuine music fan. Maybe some of the regulars have been grumbling to him, I don't know yet.
What do you think? How would you feel if the landlord asked you to knock certain songs out of your set?
[/quote]

Ha ha I think it's funny, probably sick to his back teeth of hearing them every week.

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1345921199' post='1783227']
Please make them ban Mustang Sally :P

I think any covers band that does that should be taken into the street and shot :lol:
[/quote]

We do mustang sally - though I doubt you or anybody else has heard a version like it.

Mustang Sally isn't a sh*te song - it just gets played by too many sh*te bands. Happily , we're very good indeed !!

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Len_derby' timestamp='1345919574' post='1783200']
A pub near to me has, over the last couple of years, become a regular venue for bands. The landlord has built the pub up nicely, with good ale on offer too.

He's just put out a message on the pub's Facebook page saying that any band that attempts to play the following songs will be fined £40.
Wishing Well, Sex on Fire, Teenage Kicks.

I laughed when I read it and I suspect it's been done tongue-in-cheek.
I know, from conversations I've had with him, that he's a genuine music fan. Maybe some of the regulars have been grumbling to him, I don't know yet.
What do you think? How would you feel if the landlord asked you to knock certain songs out of your set?
[/quote]

well, judging by how I have heard most bands play them... I can't say I disagree with him! :lol:

I like to think we would have more sense about what songs are appropriate at what event
... so they wouldn't be on any pub set of ours.

There are certain songs and tracks which fit and flow in a set and some that just don't...also some are in keeping with the style of the band and some are definitely not.

All bets are off, when you want to ask for more than decent money at functions so my opinion would be that a song like
'Sex on Fire' could rescue your act on its own at a function.
Personally, I wouldn't do functions if left to me but sometimes it is worth your while, so...

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1346049999' post='1784377']
The original meaning is to kill one in ten (hence the "deci" part) which in my book isn't a large percentage at all.
[/quote]

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1346087653' post='1785107']
Nowt, but a few of us, me included, are so old that we both remember the original meaning of the word, and rode on dinosaurs in our youth.

best,
bert
[/quote]
'Decimation' was used by the Roman armies as a punishment for mutiny or cowardice.

The mutineers or cowards were put into groups of ten. Lots were drawn to see which one of the ten soldiers would be 'decimated'. The unfortunate chosen one was then killed by the other nine.

I think most of you seem to have missed the point that "The Customer is ALWAYS right".
I don't like the songs on the list, but people who come out to listen to live bands DO !
Just because we play in a bands does not mean we can just play what we like, unless you are an originals group.
If you are a covers band that's what you do, you play cover of songs what the punters want to hear. Not just what YOU like to play.
Unfortunately most punters have limited music knowledge.

I don't think some of you guys give the audience enough credit. I've lost track of the number of times I've heard pub band members say this or that overplayed song is 'what the punters want to hear'. You might well get a few pissed girls up in front of the singer dancing to 'sex on fire', or dads nodding their heads telling you they're always loved 'where the streets have no name', but you have to look past them to the bored looking people loitering away from the dancefloor. Those bored ones are the ones who go out regularly and have heard the same set list done to death, usually badly, by some middle aged men who live for those weekend moments when they convince themselves they're a rockstar. There's a miriad of interesting songs, that your average punter would recognise that don't get murdered in the pub every weekend. It doesn't have to be the obscure stuff your moody guitarist cryw***s himself to sleep to, and any new take on an old song would be most welcome too.

[quote name='bigd1' timestamp='1348045360' post='1808379']
I think most of you seem to have missed the point that "The Customer is ALWAYS right".
I don't like the songs on the list, but people who come out to listen to live bands DO !
Just because we play in a bands does not mean we can just play what we like, unless you are an originals group.
If you are a covers band that's what you do, you play cover of songs what the punters want to hear. Not just what YOU like to play.
Unfortunately most punters have limited music knowledge.
[/quote]

Nope.... but you live and die on your set. We don't do too many pubs but the ones we do tend to have a more discerning type of punter...or more musically adventuous
so our taste or decision trumps theirs and if they don't like it they can go and see eleventy-eight million other bands doing the same set locally.

You could argue that bands that play such a blatant populist set have nothing much else going for them to be popular or a band to see. :lol:

Edited by JTUK

In my case, I'll check out what bands are playing in the sort of pubs we will want to do... and then see how big the place is and then decide if it is our sort of place
I'll talk to the LL and go from there.... that will be enough to decide if we give it a go.

I'd start with the 3 songs in this thread but it is more about the sort of bands the venue puts on and whether we think it is for us.

I like pubs where the LL is quite a fan as opposed to someone who sees the exercise as only selling beers.
Of course, that is his bottom line but the LL of the pub we are playing on friday is a big Counting Crows fan
but he puts up with us because we play our songs well...or so he says.. :lol:

He actually gives us a few pointers about what music he think would work for us...
LA woman being one..but we lined it up before he told us it was his favourite song.

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1348004214' post='1808118']
Haha! We play almost every song mentioned and the crowd loves them all, every time :)
[/quote]
Same here. We have a good mixture of tunes and agree with another post that mentions playing the right songs at the right gigs. Sex On Fire (now dropped from the set) has rescued many a gig and always sees a good dancefloor turnout (Pricetag by Jessie J has the same effect)

We got asked to do a Hootie and the Blowfish tune for a specific gig along with a James Morrison song. So we learned them and tried them at 2 gigs...they bombed big style - nobody knew them....but when we followed up with a known 'cheesy' tune - instant dancing/applause!

A varied and mixed set is a definate requirement and songs need to 'know their place' in my view

IMHO as always

Graeme