Why become a member? ×

what do people do with so many basses?

greyparrot

I think this accounts for why there exists 'posthumous GAS' ie. the desire to repurchase the same gear after you've sold it, thinking that you don't use it enough.

But... +1 to the idea that a Stingray and Jazz can cover most eventualities. (and a 5 on the side for special occasions)
[/quote]

how very true i have just ordered a status s2 and i was saying to my mate i wish d never gotten rid of it al those years ago. Its the one bass that ihave always wanted to own again, but neer realised that status were a big as ever today as they were back in the 90's. Its s good to hear all this, andi may take my two off the for sale boards soon!!

Edited by greyparrot

My yamaha trb5 has since been retired, 10 years of gigging made me think it was due some down time! I have two yamaha attitudes mkI & II of which I use the mkI as my main bass. I am in the process of building a bass - have been for 16months - it was a 40th birthday project and will finish it when I get the time too.

I am going to buy two basses in the next year:

the new yamaha attitude mk3
the new yamaha bb714

making a total of six. the others will remain as they hold sentimental value to me.

andy

[quote name='Machines' post='188602' date='Apr 30 2008, 07:29 AM']People who have dozens of basses I feel are simply hoarding and can't possibly use them all.[/quote]
Speaking as a hoarder - you're quite right. I moved house last August & it's a sobering thought that some of my basses & guitars haven't been out of their cases since. :)

However, one man's hoarder is another's collector - and it's that magpie instinct for me, I think! I do get attached to certain ones - but tbh there are very few it would exactly break my heart to part with. I'm a great fan of low-end instruments (often - but not exclusively - vintage Japanese) which means that there's no great outlay/investment in anything I own.

I'm also in a similar position to BigRedX here - for recording purposes I like to have access to a variety of basses & guitars to be able to use the most appropriate.

My bottom-linel rule with basses is that if I don't/wouldn't gig it, it goes, which keeps things in check to an extent - and always gives me the opportunity to buy more. And more. And more. :huh:

Jon.

[quote name='Shaggy' post='188695' date='Apr 30 2008, 10:59 AM'](NB; Jazz + Stingray = 1 Sabre :brow: )[/quote]
My cutlass 2 doesn't sound like a Jazz at all to me. It has its own sort of sound ranging from varying fat stingray sounds to flabby single coil neck pickup funk a bit like the bass riff on this ad.

Is the pickup selector on yours wired so that it gets a single coil from each humbucker?

FWIW I could probably make do with 5 standard basses - 5 fretted, 5 fretless, jazz, p, stingray. But I'm currently working on a little idea that may do away with the need for individual ray/p/5 strings. :)

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='188699' date='Apr 30 2008, 11:02 AM']Is the pickup selector on yours wired so that it gets a single coil from each humbucker?[/quote]
When in combined mode you mean? (and a “pan” control would have been great) Not sure about that - it’s an early one with phase and bright switches only.
I found it sounded amazingly similar to a mates’ ’75 Jazz, especially on combined p/u’s, playing through his SVT which admittedly adds its own colouration. Likewise on bridge p/u only the Sabre is effectively a Stingray, although apparently the voicing on the EQ is supposed to be different, and inevitably the big magnets in the neck p/u will slightly dampen string vibration and therefore affect tone.
The cutlass 2 is the graphite neck Sabre, right?

How many pairs of shoes do you (or the missus) have?
lots for different occasions, or to go with things, or just because they look good. You can choose what to wear (use) depending on a whole raft of different things, from what looks right to what you happen to fancy.

Basses are the same

and a whole lot cheaper than my wife's shoes!!

[quote name='Steve_nottm' post='188767' date='Apr 30 2008, 12:53 PM']How many pairs of shoes do you (or the missus) have?
lots for different occasions, or to go with things, or just because they look good. You can choose what to wear (use) depending on a whole raft of different things, from what looks right to what you happen to fancy.

Basses are the same

and a whole lot cheaper than my wife's shoes!![/quote]

Basses are the same.....a fashion accessory? :) wonder which gig I'll use my Fender Gucci sling backs :huh:

I've got 9 basses:
GWB35 which is my main bass - if I got a 5-string fretless I preferred and didn't fancy keeping this as a back-up, I'd see no reason to keep it
Traben Chaos 4 fretted which is the other one I take to band practises - between the 2 of them they cover all of our songs :)
2 acoustics (1's fretless) so I don't have to plug in whenever a song comes on that I want to play along to
4-string Stingray copy I keep at my parents' house to bash about on
The other four (5, 7 and 8-string and my semi-fretless) are just for getting different sounds when writing songs or whatever - maybe I'll use them for something other than recording my own stuff or whatever at some point - I tried the 7-string at a rehearsal a few weeks ago and didn't get on with it, but there's no harming in trying, right? I refuse to get stuck in a rut and every bass deserves a chance to shine before I move it on - if I had the money and space there'd certainly be plenty of room for more, different basses in my collection

I can't get on with owning more than one fretted and one fretless at once to be honest. I end up playing one more and the other is not as comfortable. As my music doesn't ever call for a certain bass sound (jazz, precision etc) then I can use 'my' sound and my favourite bass on everything, which I really like being able to do.

I have lots of basses, certainly far more than my talent could ever justify.

So?

I have no particular need to justify owning them, but if I did I think I'd mention that

1. They have ALL been played live on stage by me, and continue to be so, just some more often than others.
2. With perhaps three exceptions, they are all worth more than I paid for them, in some cases MUCH more (and yes, I'm allowing for time/inflation/opportunity cost - I'm an accountant fer Crissake), so they have been an excellent investment.
3. They are beautiful objects in their own right, and a delight to own. Certainly more fun than a slightly smaller mortgage.
4. Playing so many different shapes/styles/sizes has improved my general bass-playing quite considerably ... I know plenty of people who can only play their stuff on their own, regular bass. Nothing wrong with that of course, but I'm a fan of flexibility.
5. All of my basses put together have cost me less than one VGC early-60's P-bass.

Isn't it a good thing that I have no particular need to justify owning all those basses?

:)

For years I got by with the two Hohner headless basses, the fretless and the 5-string, which both date from the 80s. The Stick purchase in 2000 was a clear-cut case of biting off more than I could chew, and I finally sold it last month. Last year I felt that there was a good chance I would be gigging again, and could use something more modern-yet-normal, hence the Tune. Now all I need is an amp, and a car to transport it and 3 basses in, and a license that would allow me to drive a car, and lessons on how to drive... :)

[quote name='bnt' post='188863' date='Apr 30 2008, 02:51 PM']For years I got by with the two Hohner headless basses, the fretless and the 5-string, which both date from the 80s. The Stick purchase in 2000 was a clear-cut case of biting off more than I could chew, and I finally sold it last month. Last year I felt that there was a good chance I would be gigging again, and could use something more modern-yet-normal, hence the Tune. Now all I need is an amp, and a car to transport it and 3 basses in, and a license that would allow me to drive a car, and lessons on how to drive... :)[/quote]

John Entwistle never had one. A driving licence that is.

Did you get the Hohners because they're easy to carry on a bike? That's why I got mine :-)

I'm starting to resent my Precision. When I use it at gigs our guitarist looks happy and seems to relax and we generally have a good gig. The damned thing seems to be able to mould itself to the sound that's required for any song without me being aware of doing anything different. I have 2 other basses, but they seem to make the guitarist nervous. I can sometimes slip one in for a couple of numbers, but usually that's it. I have played entire gigs with the Gibson or the Spector, and in both cases we didn't get a repeat booking.

So I'm sitting here with terrible gas for all sorts of things and no possible reason to buy any of them.

[quote name='Shaggy' post='188755' date='Apr 30 2008, 12:35 PM']When in combined mode you mean? (and a “pan” control would have been great) Not sure about that - it’s an early one with phase and bright switches only.
I found it sounded amazingly similar to a mates’ ’75 Jazz, especially on combined p/u’s, playing through his SVT which admittedly adds its own colouration.[/quote]
Interesting - got any sound clips? If yours is one of the early ones, its likely to be a bit of a different beast to my Cutlass 2 which is an '84

[quote name='Shaggy' post='188755' date='Apr 30 2008, 12:35 PM']and inevitably the big magnets in the neck p/u will slightly dampen string vibration and therefore affect tone.[/quote]
That was the case in the early sabres, but in the later ones they changed the poles from 4 single pole pieces to 4 pairs of pole pieces like in the jazz pickups to address this issue. They also changed the pickup selector from 3 way to 5 way and changed the pre to (what I believe was) a stingray version. So no treble boost or phase switch.

[quote name='Shaggy' post='188755' date='Apr 30 2008, 12:35 PM']The cutlass 2 is the graphite neck Sabre, right?[/quote]
Yes :) Feel welcome to click the link in my sig if you fancy reading my review of it.

[quote name='spinynorman' post='188887' date='Apr 30 2008, 03:20 PM']I'm starting to resent my Precision. When I use it at gigs our guitarist looks happy and seems to relax and we generally have a good gig. The damned thing seems to be able to mould itself to the sound that's required for any song without me being aware of doing anything different. I have 2 other basses, but they seem to make the guitarist nervous. I can sometimes slip one in for a couple of numbers, but usually that's it. I have played entire gigs with the Gibson or the Spector, and in both cases we didn't get a repeat booking.

So I'm sitting here with terrible gas for all sorts of things and no possible reason to buy any of them.[/quote]

That's why I love Precisions :)

Lack of need hasn't stoped me forking out on a brand new Modulus this week though :huh:

[quote name='ped' post='188809' date='Apr 30 2008, 01:56 PM']As my music doesn't ever call for a certain bass sound (jazz, precision etc) then I can use 'my' sound and my favourite bass on everything, which I really like being able to do.[/quote]

Yeah at the end of the day that's what I do to, even though I'm playing covers. I have "My" sound on the Villex loaded Jazz, and I [i]inflict[/i] that tone on most of the set, hence sticking with that one bass most of the time, with the Marcus Miller Jazz backing it up. I really could do without the other three altogether.

I've currently got 5

1) 73 P. Treasured companion. I'm precious about it.Had it 30 years. 80+ gigs a year. The numbers are stacking up and something , or someone , will happen to it one day. If it's someTHING , at least I'll have the bits but if it's someONE and I caught them I'd have to go to prison and I don't particularly fancy being bride or groom.

2) Shuker 4. I knew what gigging tool I required (a lightweight Ray with side LEDs in poncy wood) to replace the treasured companion so I got this and sold the Status Energy I had been using in this role.

3) Status series 3000 4. I like graphite necks,I like headless basses partic for small gigs,I wanted a back up for the gigging tool so I don't have to use the treasured companion for that purpose AND I deeply regret selling my Status Energy which used to do the job of (2) - though this one's better so I'm cheered up a bit.

4) MIM upgraded Jazz - on it's way to becoming a fretless (which will get lots of home, and occasional gig, use) and currently a nice passive alternative to the gigging tool and the back up. I'll keep the fretted neck for emergencies.

5) Epiphone Explorer - because I do a ZZ Top trib and if I'm bothering to look the part I figured my bass may as well too. This will be in the 'for sale' section and ebay the day after I stop doing the ZZ Top trib. It's ney but a prop like the false beard and the cheap sunglasses.
Oddly it was the cheapest of the bunch but earns me the most.

There may yet be a 6th. 6 will be the most I've ever had at once. I've owned a couple of 5 strings. I have use for a 5 string.
I sold the previous ones becuse they weren't right. I went looking for them and I suspect the right one will come looking for me. Sure a lot of us know what I mean by that.

One day I'll semi retire and stop gigging. I know that day will come. I'll keep the treasured companion and one more.70% chance the Status - 30% chance the Shuker. 2 only. The rest will be sold.

I guarantee that at my funeral the treasured companion will be coming to the crem with me. It's written in my will. In the box - light the gas...history.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='188929' date='Apr 30 2008, 04:00 PM']I guarantee that at my funeral the treasured companion will be coming to the crem with me. It's written in my will. In the box - light the gas...history.[/quote]

Very Egyptian of you Doc :)

On a related theme, I almost cremated my Westone Tunder when in 1983 the keyboard player nonchalently flicked an unwanted ciggy into the crowd via my Elnett-laden mohican (although looking back it was more of an upright boufon mullet). Could have been one of the great rock 'n' roll deaths had he got it right, and you guys could have been talking about me now with Jaco-esque reverence :huh:

[quote name='bremen' post='188886' date='Apr 30 2008, 03:19 PM']Did you get the Hohners because they're easy to carry on a bike? That's why I got mine :-)[/quote]
I got the first partly because I couldn't afford an genuine Steinberger, partly because I wanted a 5-string. When I got the second, the one I restored to fretless (after someone fretted it), I was living in London, so public transport was my way around, . Both fit in the rifle case I used then.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='188941' date='Apr 30 2008, 04:11 PM']You have a de- and re-fretting pedal?

Cool! Where can I get one? ;-)[/quote]

I have a big magic pedal cavern located just between my arse cheeks. Come round and you can have a look!

[quote name='BigRedX' post='188941' date='Apr 30 2008, 04:11 PM']You have a de- and re-fretting pedal?

Cool! Where can I get one? ;-)[/quote]
I don't really want to detract from the irony of that remark since it's the reason I take 2 basses, buttt there's actually a "defretter" effect on my ME-50B (and presumably a smaller Boss pedal?) which is perhaps 50% convincing - not a great substitute for the real thing, but it does have the advantages of saving you from buying and learning an extra instrument and you can switch it on and off in the middle of a song!