Why become a member? ×

what do people do with so many basses?

greyparrot

[quote name='cheddatom' post='188938' date='Apr 30 2008, 04:09 PM']I find it funny that people take more than one guitar to gigs. I have pedals for that kind of thing.[/quote]

I'm sure your bandmates find it equally funny when you bust a string halfway though the second song of the night.

I've got three and an upright

Two keepers:
Shuker 5 string Precision. Sunburst/Rosewood.Tort plate. This is my number one do anything bass. Fits like a glove, nearly three and maturing nicely. This is the one I walk by the others to get to.

Shuker 5 string bolt on active 2 pickup jobbie. Gorgeous Camphor wood top, shining maple fretboard with no markers, two Nordstrand DC pickups and a Shuker Pre. The back up. A totally different bass all together. This one can sound like Marcus Miller (though sadly not with me playing it). Active and gorgeous and proud of it's total disconnection with the ancestry of teh Fenders and the Jazz or P bass. When it's on stage punter's jaws drop at how gorgeous it is and a stream of kids wander by nonchalantly checking out the headstock to see what it is.... Plays really nicely sat down but like a previous poster for some reason I make more mistakes with this one when playing stood up, ie normal gigs. I think it will fit me better when I play more jazzy slappy stuff. That's the plan anyway.

Then there's the others ..
SX P bass Sunburst, red tort plate, modified with an SX maple Jazz neck with black marker blocks, original 62 P bass pup, active electronics ...
This is for lessons and jams and for handing to anyone to have a go.

Stagg upright. Great sound per pound and stunning reaction from the punters. Even more than the Shuker pretty 5 ... Again anyone can have a go ...

It has taken me nearly 20 years but I finally have four basses that I can use without pining for anything else.

4 string passive Fender Jazz
5 string Active Fender Jazz
and an Acoustic bass and 5 string fretless just in case

Having said that I only use the Fenders!!