Why become a member? ×

Warwicks...becoming cool again?

CPBass

[quote name='Voodoosnake' timestamp='1345070857' post='1773332']
Is it me or is the Warwick bass becoming a cool stage accessory again?
[/quote]

what you mean when the company went back to making more boutique instruments and also spending time and effort on PR and communicating well with guys like us on the forum? yeah, makes sense. :)

Hopefully I'll track down a JD thumb before the price skyrockets! :D

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1345072226' post='1773356']

what you mean when the company went back to making more boutique instruments and also spending time and effort on PR and communicating well with guys like us on the forum? yeah, makes sense. :)

Hopefully I'll track down a JD thumb before the price skyrockets! :D
[/quote]

Yep having people talk about them on forums gets the sales flowing...

Cool/fashion is only important in what it does to the price, and getting the name in front of people so they are aware and can at least try them out.

Other than that, I suspect most of us aren't affected by 'coolness'. (Even as I write that, I'm doubting it! ;) )

It must be a lot to do with past experiences and influences: when I think of a bass, I always picture a Thumb - always have. I think it's because I used to walk past a bass shop on Denmark St and see one in the window many years ago, and it was the picture I had in my mind ever since whenever someone mentioned bass. The fact that they sound so funky just cemented that.

Doesn't stop me trying other (cooler?) basses out though.

I'm a recent convert to a battered Warwick 90's Fortress, best 4 string neck i've ever played - currently my main gigging bass with my soul band. Although I had to whip out the actives and went passive with some trad Wizards...sounds lovely but still retains that Warwick mids sound...must be something in the woods theory :D

[quote name='Rasta' timestamp='1345131745' post='1774055']
I'm a recent convert to a battered Warwick 90's Fortress, best 4 string neck i've ever played - currently my main gigging bass with my soul band. Although I had to whip out the actives and went passive with some trad Wizards...sounds lovely but still retains that Warwick mids sound...[b]must be something in the woods theory[/b] :D
[/quote]

Nope, it'll likely be because it's a bolt on, mate.

I've always wanted a Warwick since the early-to-mid 90s when they were the ultimate dream bass for me. I've only just got round to getting one, albeit a Rockbass but I'm sure I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between that and a "proper" Warwick. for £150 used off here I'm not complaining! Great bass by the way too :)

My Fortress sounds just like my FrankenP/J (plays a whole heap better, doesn't look half as good), but I'm using the Wizard Big pair in both (Thumper/84) so I guess they're so hot they overpower any other factors.

That or my ears are shot, which is definitely a possibility. Eh? :(

With respect to the OP, still not seeing any evidence of coolness returning to the Warwick fold any time soon. Unless you count Adam Clayton, obviously...(tin hat)... :D

I think there's a difference between fashionable and cool. 'Fashionable', by definition means popular. 'Cool' needs a combination of exclusivity and desirability, to look good while being different from the norm.
The cool thing grows in popularity and eventually becomes fashionable, and consequently uncool :-)

So where does that leave Warwicks? I hardly ever see them out at gigs, so not fashionable. As far as cool is concerned, it's subjective, but I certainly don't have GAS for one, ergo not cool.

All this coming from a distinctly uncool person! :-D

[quote name='Voodoosnake' timestamp='1345070857' post='1773332']
Is it me or is the Warwick bass becoming a cool stage accessory again?
[/quote]

I was thinking this recently..mainly since I sold my Dolphin "Phillippa"..no interest when I advertised it here so I sold it to a fella in Oz..nearly bought another one on two occassions but I could never get round the 26 frets thing..there were 14 that I rarely used..I did love the tones though..