Why become a member? ×

Warwicks...becoming cool again?

CPBass

i really really like them - i have a corvette $$5 - but think they're neither cool nor indeed fashionable. What they have is a really fantastic tone that cuts through. Suppose that means they should be cool? To my mind they look 90's.

Edited by RichF

"they were a small exclusive bass builder making it all by hand..."

late 80's/early 90's NT Warwicks are a totally different beast than the new models.

mass produced, inferior woods etc.

the early ones are stunning in terms of playability, sound, retail values etc.

new ones are totally overpriced in comparison.

my 1990 NT5 will have to prised from my dead hands. I'll play it til I can no longer physically play it.

(though I do enjoy playing the Ray and Jazz Vdlx - just not as much)

[quote name='XB26354' timestamp='1345312714' post='1776218']
Not if you're more efficient. I love Warwick basses but even if I won the lottery there's no way I'd buy a new German Warwick. Their prices are, forgive me, ridiculous. The used market has been way, way cheaper for a very long time, an indication of what real world bass players think they're worth. If a Streamer Stage 1 6-string (my personal favourite bass in the world) is well over £4K new (and going up in price regularly) and can be had used for under £1.5K - I got one a few years ago for £1K - then there's nowhere to go. Oh, and where are you going to try the Warwick range in the UK? I asked about not being able to try a Thumb Single Cut in the UK and was arrogantly told that they're "boutique" instruments and not stocked by shops, and that if I wanted to try one I should by it from Thomann and use their returns policy if I didn't like it. Great.
[/quote]

XB26354,[size=4][color=#282828][font=Calibri, sans-serif] We have a new dealer for the UK. They will be building up their website soon, and should have things in place by October/November. We hope this will make things easier for our customers in the UK! Please let me know if you have any questions, and you can use the following contact for our new partner![/font][/color][/size]

[size=4][color=#282828][font=Calibri, sans-serif]Play Away Guitars[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=Calibri, sans-serif]Unit W4, Knoll Business Centre[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=Calibri, sans-serif]Old Shoreham Road[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=Calibri, sans-serif]BN3 7GS Hove, East Sussex[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=Calibri, sans-serif]Great Britain[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=Calibri, sans-serif]Phone : 0044 01273 423950[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=Calibri, sans-serif]Mail : [/font][/color][color=#000080][u][email="[email protected]"][font=Calibri, sans-serif][email protected][/font][/email][/u][/color][color=#282828][font=Calibri, sans-serif] [/font][/color][/size]

Edited by Warwick_Official

[quote name='Warwick_Official' timestamp='1345451591' post='1777521']
XB26354,[size=4][color=#282828][font=Calibri, sans-serif] We have a new dealer for the UK. They will be building up their website soon, and should have things in place by October/November. We hope this will make things easier for our customers in the UK! Please let me know if you have any questions, and you can use the following contact for our new partner![/font][/color][/size]

[size=4][color=#282828][font=Calibri, sans-serif]Play Away Guitars[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=Calibri, sans-serif]Unit W4, Knoll Business Centre[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=Calibri, sans-serif]Old Shoreham Road[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=Calibri, sans-serif]BN3 7GS Hove, East Sussex[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=Calibri, sans-serif]Great Britain[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=Calibri, sans-serif]Phone : 0044 01273 423950[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=Calibri, sans-serif]Mail : [/font][/color][color=#000080][u][email="[email protected]"][font=Calibri, sans-serif][email protected][/font][/email][/u][/color][color=#282828][font=Calibri, sans-serif] [/font][/color][/size]
[/quote]

I think the main issue is there are only 2-3 Warwick dealers in the country so it's really hard to try one out. I've not seen one in a music shop since 1994. One retailer I spoke to mentioned that Warwick needed them to buy quite a bit of stock, plus stock Warwick amps which was too big a demand for the average retailer. If this is true, then it would be great if these restrictions were lifted somewhat so that more places could stock Warwicks, or at least your Rockbasses.

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1345463458' post='1777700']
I think the main issue is there are only 2-3 Warwick dealers in the country so it's really hard to try one out. I've not seen one in a music shop since 1994. One retailer I spoke to mentioned that Warwick needed them to buy quite a bit of stock, plus stock Warwick amps which was too big a demand for the average retailer. If this is true, then it would be great if these restrictions were lifted somewhat so that more places could stock Warwicks, or at least your Rockbasses.
[/quote]

I tend to agree with this - the last time I was able to see and touch Warwick basses and amps without having already ordered, bought and taken delivery of them from Thomann was at the London Guitar Show in 2010.
There was a large, awesome, GAS-inducing Warwick/Framus stand with lots of everything they sell - BUT: they only had a couple of lefty models out of at least 40-45 models on show, and their staff were rather cold to this middle-aged female bassist. They appeared to struggle to believe that I could actually be interested in looking at the instruments in earnest, and asked whether the catalogue I requested at the desk was really for me. I quote: "So YOU play bass then!!??!"
I'm a big fan of Warwicks for their look, sound and ready availability of left-handed models, but my visit at the time was in fact the lowlight of the show. I trust things will improve though, now that we are pointing them out to Garey and, through him, the company.

Edited by bluejay

Nice to see there will be a new dealer. I hope they have a decent range of stock to merit the day out.

GuitarWorks in Reading used to have Warwick (they did need to stock a minimum amount of stuff which included amps and Framus guitars) but they (like so many) are now closed.

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1345465017' post='1777731']
I remember Sound Control Salford having about 30+ Warwicks in stock around 2005.
[/quote]

Haha one of the first places i took my newborn daughter in 2009 (think it was still called Soundcontrol then)...introduced her to daddies other dreams :D

Big up red dog in edinburgh who have a load in.
I just tried one of the Korean active corvette 5 strings. Skeptical on Korean warwicks but surprisingly good! Very very good quality of construction and finish, sounded good. Preamp wasn't as nice as the one in my older wick but yeah, surprisingly good.

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Haha one of the first places i took my newborn daughter in 2009 (think it was still called Soundcontrol then)...introduced her to daddies other dreams [/font][/color] :D
You're never too young! Some people play mozart to their unborn children, but I think letting the newborn inhale the groove like this is far superior!

[quote name='jaydentaku' timestamp='1345192819' post='1774702']
The next on my C $$ is very satisfying. Its nice and thin and the wood has a gorgeous transparency/shimmer to it.
[/quote]

You call that neck thin? I loved that bass but the neck to me was like a baseball bat - jazz nut but huge front to back.

Totally agree about the wood though, the shimmer is almost 3D.

How is my old girl anyway? Treating you well?

Edited by Evil Undead

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1345532469' post='1778452']
You call that neck thin? I loved that bass but the neck to me was like a baseball bat - jazz nut but huge front to back.

Totally agree about the wood though, the shimmer is almost 3D.

How is my old girl anyway? Treating you well?
[/quote]

I was once told that my hands are akin to Bruce Banner's when he is angry. Its got flats on ow and its amazing. There is nothing wrong with the truss rod btw.

[quote name='jaydentaku' timestamp='1345550631' post='1778656']
I was once told that my hands are akin to Bruce Banner's when he is angry. Its got flats on ow and its amazing. There is nothing wrong with the truss rod btw.
[/quote]

I didn't think there was but I couldn't move it so I couldn't be sure. Gotta disclose these things :)

I've always had a strange relationship with Warwicks. Back in the late '90's they were kind of my
dream bass,so I bought a 5 string,bubinga Corvette(my first 5 string bass) I loved it and played it for
a few years and just got bored of it and traded it in. I tried a bunch of Warwicks over the years but
never got on with them..but at the beginning of the year I played a jam on a friend of mines Corvette
Proline (one of the German ones) and loved it.It played and sounded great-So much so,that a few
weeks later I bought a German made Streamer LX. I've since done about 130 gigs and a few recordings
with it this year already. I love it.
I don't know if they are becoming cool or fashionable again,but I'm really digging mine.