Why become a member? ×

* * * NEW SQUIER TELECASTER BASS * * *

Grand Wazoo

[url="http://www.fender.com/en-GB/products/search.php/?partno=0325212507"]http://www.fender.com/en-GB/products/search.php/?partno=0325212507[/url]

Squier is very proud to introduce its new Telecaster Bass Special, which presents an exciting new sonic and stylish twist on a long-familiar design.
Its time-honored body and headstock shape are well balanced by a comfortable medium scale length (32") that will appeal to bassists and guitarists alike. Remarkable tonal versatility comes from its large chrome-covered Fender®-designed Wide Range humbucking neck pickup, Duncan Designed™ JB-102B single-coil Jazz Bass® bridge pickup, and three-way blade switching (both pickups together and each pickup individually).
Other distinctive features include black "barrel" switch tip, knurled chrome control knobs, vintage style bridge with four chrome saddles, vintage-style tuners and strap buttons, and single-ply pickguard (white on Black model, black on Vintage Blonde model).

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1344301660' post='1762596']
It sits at the guitary end of basses, its much like a tele and shorter scale. That has an appeal.
[/quote]

Aye but I'm wondering to who though? What's it's real world application?
Broadly speaking tele's (the guitar) are either associated with country/blues or indie music. Most bass players from those genres play full scale P basses.
The design is spot on - in fact if you had free reign and a Fender parts box and were told to construct a (6 string) telecaster inspired bass out of bass bits, 9 times out of 10 this is pretty much what you'd get - with the possible exception of the bridge pup being an angled single coil P. I can't imagine for a minute though that what you get is a bass which (in the grand scheme of things guitary) sounds like a telecaster. I'm guessing it will be reminiscent of an EB-3... but look like a telecaster.

Even I like it. Seems to have that thick CV-like neck finish. Jazz pickup can help with overt muddiness without the misalignment issues of the Modern Player Tele. And the 32" scale should be a good compromise too, tried a MIJ 32" Jazz once and loved it!

Normally I'm into 34 or 35" more modern basses, but wouldn't mind adding this one for a different flavour. And least Fender are trying to come up with something different lately.

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1344331454' post='1762783']
Very tempted.

Anyone seen a price or release date yet?
[/quote]

They've only just been announced yesterday on the Fender Newsletter, I bet it will probably sell for around £300-£350

Edited by Grand Wazoo

[quote name='BurritoBass' timestamp='1344331792' post='1762786']
I like them. I've not been playing my Fender's for the last 9 months as I've fallen for my Hofner. Been thinking of selling the 2 remaining ones but this could be a great second bass that wouldn't be so much money sitting idly in a case.
[/quote]

Never thought I would hear you say that you've moved away from your Fenders :rolleyes:

If you guys have ever tried the other Squier with that similar Fender bucker in the neck then you'll know that sounds the bo**cks, it's a very deep Jack Bruce tone, I can only imagine that coupled with a Seymour Duncan Jazz pickup in the bridge position, this bass should give a decent spectrum of sounds.

My only gripe is the headstock, I would have loved a 70's style bold lettering saying [i][b]TELECASTER BASS[/b][/i] but this only says Squier by Fender, a bit bland.

Edited by Grand Wazoo

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1344332535' post='1762803']
Never thought I would hear you say that you've moved away from your Fenders :rolleyes:
[/quote]

I did a while ago. The Hofner sits better tonally for me and it became somewhat of a joke on my circuit with all these bassists showing up with P basses. Don't get me wrong, big Fender fan but I like a change. I've only gigged with my Verythin bass since last November, other than on the upright.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1344335371' post='1762862']
If you guys have ever tried the other Squier with that similar Fender bucker in the neck then you'll know that sounds the bo**cks, it's a very deep Jack Bruce tone.
[/quote]

Spot on. I've been very happy with mine (in the avatar photo). Although my daughter nicks it to play in her indie band.
I've found it works best with roundwound strings.