Why become a member? ×

Bass endorsements

TomRichards

I am posting this here for all aspiring bassists who are looking for a company to endorse you. As we speak i am waiting for an artist to return my call who has not lived up to his deal.

When a company agrees to endorse you, you have some basic obligations. You must use the bass in public, you must have some photos of you doing such and possibly some YouTube video doing same. You must link to the company on all your social media sites.

Since there are different levels of endorsement, the particular obligations are tailored to your situation. For a full endorsement you get gear, swag, your face in advertising, paid appearances at specific events and full support of the factory tech team. In exchange you are exclusive to the companies basses and gear, it is with you at all appearances you make, you must be available for the company to take pictures and you are obligated to make a few appearances that work with your schedule gratis. Not too bad a bargain.

Lower level endorsements would include artist pricing on basses and gear and a minimum number of promised public uses of the gear, as well as pictures and video of you playing the bass along with social media exposure on your sites. While generally it is expected that the basses would be used mostly, you may or may not be required to be exclusive. Since artist pricing is normally at or below dealer cost, that still is not a bad deal, period.

I recently found this particular artist did not use our instruments on the first leg of the tour and now wants more and more expensive gear. Aint gonna happen.

If you seek an endorsement and can't live up to your obligations, then you aren't ready for one. If the industry discovers you used a tour or project to become a gear "whore" we will blackball you and you will never get gear or support from any company, ever, again.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1343577005' post='1752241']
What on earth is the point of having an endorsement deal for gear you are not going to use?
[/quote]

Lately there is this "I am a bass god on a super duper tour, I deserve free stuff" mentality and some players have started using it to build their personal collections so they can say they have all this gear.

In the biz we call them gear whores. Most of the bassists who get endorsements are good, trustworthy guys. But there are a few out their who are not.

[quote name='TomRichards' timestamp='1343574783'']
. If the industry discovers you used a tour or project to become a gear "whore" we will blackball you and you will never get gear or support from any company, ever, again.
[/quote]

Whereas I am sure the information is very useful I can't help feeling you are venting to all bass players because you have been wronged by one (or more)? I'm just sensing a rather bad taste left in your mouth, friend. :)

I'd also have to add that the last sentence I've quoted is neither true or possible, but certainly I do agree that if a player has a full exclusive endorsement deal with all the lovely perks it brings, then they should be accountable.

What about manufacturers/suppliers that dont keep up their end of the deal?

Im endorsed by the London Bass Centre - not fully endorsed, but I get a discount on their products. I am endorsed with them because of my (over?) extensive usage of Stadium Elites Strings - I ONLY play Elites - and I recommend that all the people I teach/come across play Elites and Ive got a T-Shirt I wear at gigs/festivals etc etc. Love the guys down the bass centre, all perfectly good guys..

Until recently they started to try and get me to play a different type of strings - their "player" series - Ive had a couple of sets off them, and they arent to my taste AT ALL - but they now wont send me Elites.

Do I tell them where to stick it and move on to a different supplier, or tell them what I want and remind THEM of their obligations to me as an artist? I keep up my end of the deal, so it should work the other way around, surely?

Interesting. How ever I have found that often companies don't treat their artist the same way as normal customers. Maybe thinking "ah right, he's part of the "familly", he can wait a bit..." or what ever..

I will not name any one in order to keep this debate clean, but is it normal to wait 8 month for a bass (which is fully paid)? when delivery time is usually 3/4 month... and you've been told many times "yours is next on the line..."

I can undestand that for a company it is more interesting to sell more basses, full price.... but when a bass is paid.... it should be delivered... that's it!!....

just my two cents...

I ended up having to do a tour with a fender jazz bass, cuz the bass was not delivered on time.... big shame...

[quote name='pierreganseman' timestamp='1343588291' post='1752448']
Interesting. How ever I have found that often companies don't treat their artist the same way as normal customers. Maybe thinking "ah right, he's part of the "familly", he can wait a bit..." or what ever..

I will not name any one in order to keep this debate clean, but is it normal to wait 8 month for a bass (which is fully paid)? when delivery time is usually 3/4 month... and you've been told many times "yours is next on the line..."

I can undestand that for a company it is more interesting to sell more basses, full price.... but when a bass is paid.... it should be delivered... that's it!!....

just my two cents...

I ended up having to do a tour with a fender jazz bass, cuz the bass was not delivered on time.... big shame...
[/quote]

If be pretty pissed if I was in that position, and would probably consider taking my endorsement elsewhere

Depends on the Company really I suppose Pierre. Certain companies have excellent customer service for all their clients regardless of their stature within the business. Others will look after the "big boys" and keep output to a premium.

In the same vein manufacturers will often turn a blind eye when some of their top artists appear regularly with other brands but would not be so tolerent with someone with a lesser degree of marketability. Those lucky enough to be offered an endorsement should understand what is expected of them and perhaps more importantly have a knowledge of the product they're endorsing and indeed the ethos of the company who manufactures it.
I've turned down endorsements because I knew that the company in question would have been unable to match my expectations (which were not OTT by any means).

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1343577005' post='1752241']
What on earth is the point of having an endorsement deal for gear you are not going to use?
[/quote]

Totally, don`t see the point at all, unless a large slice of cash is also involved, which may sway such people.

I don't lump all players in this category, as the majority are good citizens. I have experienced, of late, that there is a rising lot that are starting this trend.
There is a difference in endorsement levels, but the statement that we in the industry look the other way for the big guys is actually the opposite.

Yes, I did a little rant here, but when I was active as a player in the 70's thru the 90's most of us were very respectful of our endorsers, and endorsements were very hard to come by. This recent crew has just been more blatant then I've ever seen.

If your deal is exclusive, and I give you several basses and spend oodles of time working on them to get them to your liking, and I also provide you with tour support, you better be using my stuff.

Ok, I'll chime out now. Not a problem. Just a warning, especially if you are seeking out endorsements. And there really is an understanding among all the makers.

tom