Why become a member? ×

Bass endorsements

TomRichards

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1343816535' post='1755561']
That's one possibility, yes. Certainly I have heard plenty of 'musicians' talking about gear and "wanting to blag free stuff from" a particular company. Yes they might like the gear, but maybe they think that you get free stuff and have to do nothing in return. It doesn't work like that. It's a bit like saying 'oh I got a free iPhone with this new contract!' - ahhhh, no, no you didn't you're still paying for it....
[/quote]

Yeah, I guess. I find it frustrating being an endorsee and hearing things like "don't listen to Thom, he's endorsed so he has to say that." I think so many people just see it as the artist getting free stuff and a brown nose and nothing else. Maybe someone has an endorrsement contract they can share? I'm sure it'd be interesting to some people. Mine has a confidentiality clause in it and the endorsement I turned down never got as far as a contract.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' timestamp='1343836085' post='1756058']
Yeah, I guess. I find it frustrating being an endorsee and hearing things like "don't listen to Thom, he's endorsed so he has to say that." I think so many people just see it as the artist getting free stuff and a brown nose and nothing else. Maybe someone has an endorrsement contract they can share? I'm sure it'd be interesting to some people. Mine has a confidentiality clause in it and the endorsement I turned down never got as far as a contract.
[/quote]

Don't listen to this guy he's paid to say this !!!!!!!!!!

I would love to try a GK amp. and i would probably buy one after that (assuming i have won the lottery at this stage). i first noticed GK amps when i saw flea using them live in dublin last november. I think flea has a fantastic tone, which of course isnt down solely to his bass amp, but it obviously doesnt make it any worse. he had used acoustic amps shortly before november, and i listened, and it didnt allow the transfer of tone from the bass through the amp as easily as the GK did. so to me, him being endoresed by GK clearly does work. i was willing to do a bit of reasearch into it, and see if it was really all that.

but i think you are missing a trick here ThomBassmonkey. you should just be telling people that the head you use is one better than flea's of the red hot chili peppers :) (i believe he uses the 1001RB series heads)

How could you tell what his amp(s) sounded like with acoustic or GK? One 10" out of a possible 19 speakers (3 4x10, 3 1x15 and another 4x10 on Josh's side) mic'd up for me doesn't alter much.
He could be hiding any heads behind there too, makes me laugh when people say they would not gig a class D head just on looks yet Flea has 7 cabs and no heads at all!

yeah, his heads are rack mounted, in a rack. they sit behind the cabs. his amps are quite loud. i was sitting pretty far away from the cabs at croke park, and when the tech was testing, i could still hear his cabs (nott he PA, it had been muted at this point). so maybe the vibrations coming from his cabs is the reason why they keep them in a rack?

i dontknow what you mean by a class D head, but i did question before if the cabs actually did anything or were just there for the look. but i have witnessed that they do actually do something. his cabs arent mic'd up, i assume the heads are plugged straight into the PA.

i was able to tell the difference in the sound by going and finding videos of him using the acoustics, then comparing that to the videos of him using the GK's. i did make sure the watch a few of each, just to make sure it wasnt just bad sound quality on part of the person who uploaded it. i know that youtube sound quality is absolute dung, but it did work.

anyway, i found your post a bit confusing, thats why i rambled on a bit :/

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1343842603' post='1756234']
Don't listen to this guy he's paid to say this !!!!!!!!!!
[/quote]

Ooh, who's paying? I'm in!

With regards to Flea, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ARZGwfhC_U go to about 4:35 and it'll tell you. :) In that vid he's using 2001RBs, I have the newer 2001RB-II! Definitely 1 better!! haha

Pete, a different head and speaker can make that 1x10 sound very different! I'm not a huge Chilli's fan so I'm not saying I've heard the difference but I can definitely believe that it's possible.

The class of an amp is to do with how the power sent to the speakers is handled. Class D amps (such as the GK MB series) are generally smaller and lighter.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1343858558' post='1756597']
yeah, his heads are rack mounted, in a rack. they sit behind the cabs. his amps are quite loud. i was sitting pretty far away from the cabs at croke park, and when the tech was testing, i could still hear his cabs (nott he PA, it had been muted at this point). so maybe the vibrations coming from his cabs is the reason why they keep them in a rack?

i dontknow what you mean by a class D head, but i did question before if the cabs actually did anything or were just there for the look. but i have witnessed that they do actually do something. his cabs arent mic'd up, i assume the heads are plugged straight into the PA.

i was able to tell the difference in the sound by going and finding videos of him using the acoustics, then comparing that to the videos of him using the GK's. i did make sure the watch a few of each, just to make sure it wasnt just bad sound quality on part of the person who uploaded it. i know that youtube sound quality is absolute dung, but it did work.

anyway, i found your post a bit confusing, thats why i rambled on a bit :/
[/quote]
Any sound on any clips are surely just taken from the pa mix and very little do do with his amps?

Also you can't of been that close as you would of spotted the little clip on mic he always has over the top left speaker of the top left 4x10 :P (I can hear you looking at you tube clips already!)

[quote name='attackbass' timestamp='1343816873' post='1755571']
Is this the Kosher that Mo from Mo's music shop played in? I remember the name and bought a bunch of Hartke stuff from him 12 years ago! Was such a good shop!
[/quote]

Yup! When the band got signed he had to spend a lot of time away from the business over a 4yr period whilst touring and it suffered as a result. When the band split and he returned back his business full time he really struggled to restore it to its former glory. Now it's gone and it's such a shame. It was a cracking shop with a lot of very tasty vintage kit.

He also sold me a shed load of Hartke stuff when I joined the band! Great kit, but 2yrs later I got the Carlsbro deal.

calm down stringrayPete1977. i dont claim to be a tech wizard, far from it, as you should have known from me stating "i dont know what you meant by class D head". even still, with either head, acoustic or GK, through the PA, there is a notable difference in sound, and not just the quality lost from it coming through the PA. i wasnt close at all, as i said i was pretty far away.

no, i have never noticed that little clip on mic, no matter how much i stare. i have live at slane, never seen it, it must be microscopic. i WILL look into it, but i have never noticed it.

im new to the game dude, you cant expect me to know it all already.

Ha no worries dude :)

All I'm saying is that hearing one rig at one gig and his GK at another is almost not worth worrying about as the variables are massive, the GK amps might sound even better with the acoustic heads for all we know and visa versa. Except for that one off time of hearing the tech playing through his rig once it's coming from the pa chances are any rig he might use would make no difference out front, it's most likely that the bass is fed into the desk before the amps EQ via a DI of some sort after his fx pedals and what not (another huge variable from one gig to the next just by moving a few knobs) then its just that tiny mic which tbf I'm assured are better than you might think but even still it's not exactly capturing all that huge rig!

:)

the variables are massive at every gig. i saw them in the 02 in dublin, and it was fantastic. open air at croke park was rubbish. the sound didnt travel well. also i was seated which was just wrong for so many reasons. there was definatly a noticable difference in the sound of the amp (btw, amps are heads, not cabs) be that down to room size, PA setup, where the audio was recorded from, how far jupiter was from the sun, etc etc. theres a million reasons why it could have sounded different, but i would believe that it was to do with the fact that he was using acoustic amps and cabs, and notthe GK's, which he returned to after using the acoustic amps and cabs for only a month or 2.

heres another point to do with endorsements- if flea endorsed acoustic amps, and i had heard gallien krueger amps, i would probably take the GK's. unless i was trying to match his sound exactly.

I'm not sure you understand how the heads inherent tone can get into the front of house sound though? That little mic is the only thing capturing the amp unless you take either a line out or DI from the head after the heads EQ, both unlikely in this case, what you are hearing is Fleas bass and fx setup with a tiny tiny bit of the 10" speaker no more no less :)

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' timestamp='1343976899' post='1757977']
I think the GK sound has always been quite a bit part of Flea's sound and a big factor in GK's sound is their power amp. You're probably right, it's probably a mix of DI from the head and the mic.
[/quote]

But if its from the power amp how does he get it into our ears?