Why become a member? ×

Humbled by Fender customer service

Legion

Apologies to all but I have been so impressed I wanted to post on here about this!

Having finally got my Fender Custom Shop Pino Palladino Precision bass (hereafter known as Pino) back recently I started to suspect the truss rod had issues...

I had only ever swapped the TI jazz flats for DR High beams/Sun beams (not entirely sure which they were now). Both strings are low tension so truss rod tweaks were not really needed. Once I sold the bass to Clarky I think he tried some Chromes or something (set me right here Clarky?) and had some issues adjusting the truss rod but it seemed to resolve itself and all was well.

Then I bought it back again, then stupidly sold it again to another BC'er. Then when bought it back for the final time the original strings were still on it but the truss rod was wound in a fair way but the relief appeared as it always used to be. This set the alarms bells ringing so I tried making truss rod adjustments but not getting any sizeable changes.

I contacted Fender in the UK expecting to be told "hmm, thats a nice story...take it somewhere and have it repaired". The response I got was actually "we will arrange a courier to collect it from you and inspect the bass". Which they did, then they decided that it was a manufacturing defect that could not be repaired. The bass would need a new neck. Ouch I thought.

Then they floored me by saying "we will have a new neck made for you by the custom shop under warranty". So here I am, a good few months later with my Pino back on the wall, with a brand new custom shop made neck that plays amazingly and it hasn't cost me a single penny.

Eternally grateful for the level of customer service I've received, especially considering I'm not even the original owner of the bass (and they knew this fact)

Thanks Fender :)
[attachment=114086:IMGP3162.JPG]
[attachment=114087:IMGP3163.JPG]

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1343303996' post='1748551']
Stick that in your pipes and smoke it, Fender-knockers! :D
[/quote]
For the sort of price those basses cost there shouldn't have been a "manufacturing defect" in the first place.

I think it was indeed when I tried some higher tension flats (I have tended to use Chromes historically) that I noticed this problem, Jas. Somewhere in the recesses of BC's old posts I did put up an enquiry about solving the issue. Great news its been sorted and - even better - for free! Good one, Fender!

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1343304599' post='1748568']
For the sort of price those basses cost there shouldn't have been a "manufacturing defect" in the first place.
[/quote]
I think thats a somewhat unfair comment. Wood is a natural product that can undergo all sorts of changes that cannot always be predicted. The fact that it started to collapse under the truss rod nut may be have a latent issue in the timber, or just plain abuse on the part of someone adjusting it. "Manufacturing defect" was purely a phrase used when discussing the fact that, whatever the cause of this problem, they were going to sort if out for me under warranty.

It is a shame that these sort of incidents seem to be the exception rather than the rule. Not specifically to Fender, just in general. A new neck to Fender is a drop in the ocean and a bit of paperwork. To you it could have potentially been a lean month.

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1343305093' post='1748585']
Good stuff! Customer service certainly seems to be getting better most everywhere in recent years :)
[/quote]

Copies are getting better. Competition is getting tougher. If someone pays a higher price for your product due to the name and the manufacturing qualities they dont come back for a second or third purchase if it doesnt live up to expectation when the time comes to upgrade.

I've got the Fender Custom Shop registration & Lifetime Warranty on mine & have read about their Free Collect/Return Courier Service, that's the first time I've heard of anyone using it. Nice one Fender :)

That is brilliant. If its Matt, he did the same thing for a guitar combo I used to own, and sorted a replacement speaker/checkover.

I've also had contact with him over the first Genz Streamliner I had, and they said to be safe, they would ship me a new one, which they did.

Makes me feel less worried about eyeing up a White/Tort/Maple boarded 2012 P Bass now....must resist....

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1343325267' post='1749040']
Somehow think if my second hand Squier has a problem they may not be as accommodating...?[/quote]

Don't worry, apparently there's a bloke on eBay who is an expert self-taught luthier... ;)

Nice result for you Legion and well done Fender on the customer service provided.
I had a not so nice experience with a faulty bass neck & manufacturer and wished it was as simple as your experience 'cos it ain't nice when it gets ugly.

ATB,
Jon