Why become a member? ×

Time to throw the towel in...

Monz

It's been 6 months since I got shelved by my old band and nothing since. not even an audition so it's time to get rid of all the gear. Once its all gone I might get myself something cheap to plonk about on...

Will put a post or two up in the For Sale section tonight with prices and photos

Here's some of the stuff that will be available in case anyone is keen. Bongo 5HH, PJB24B, Peavey 1200 power amp, 2x Peavey Mk VI amps, Peavey 4x10 TXF, Peavey 1516e megabass cab, AKG Bug wireless, BTMP3 bass trainer, Roland Basscube and the contents of my gig bag which I will list later.

Thanks for looking

Edited by Monz

I was bandless for about 6 months just before my son was born and I wasn't sure if I'd play again either... But here I am!

If you don't want to stop playing, don't. Bass players are in pretty high demand, you've just gotta find the right band! Good luck :)

Edited by chrismuzz

It's all about the music. If you enjoy playing, at least keep something back

Just think of the time you have put into your playing.

Sad to hear it but it's your choice.

Personally, I am battling against arthritis and will keep playing until I can no longer move my fingers!

Blademan

I'm bandless since august of 2011, yeah that's a pretty long time... I've had a lot of contact over internet, some ended in auditions. One band had 2 guitards that played the volume war game, one other band had a keyboardist that never practise and learn the songs in rehearsal while everybody wait, took him one hour. I left those bands after 2 rehearsals. I'm kind of getting desperate to find the good band, but I know I will find one that I will be really happy with, just not sure when.

In the meanwhile I'm just having fun doing some bass covers on youtube, but I'm really sick of playing on my own.. I have 2 auditions incoming, so hopefully at least one end up working out for me.

[quote name='Darkmeteor' timestamp='1343282098' post='1748162']
In the meanwhile I'm just having fun doing some bass covers on youtube, but I'm really sick of playing on my own.. I have 2 auditions incoming, so hopefully at least one end up working out for me.
[/quote]

One thing I didn't miss about bands when i got back into them was how much harder it is to make sure the bass is audible :lol:

You'll have to post a link to your youtube channel up i love checking out bass covers!

It has been about a year since I played with a great band. At the moment I am with a sh*t / volume war / don't practice at home / ego tastic / etc band just to keep the practice up playing with people. I have an audition tomorrow which fingers crossed will mean I can tell the other band to foxtrot oscar.

6 months is nothing. Are you [u][i][b]really[/b][/i][/u] looking for another band?

I've said it before, they'll be prising (one of) my basses from my cold, dead fingers....

Edited by Bigwan

I completely understand how disheartening it is between bands - I found it really hard finding the right band, where everyone's more of less in the same place in terms of competence, ambition (or lack of), nice reliable people etc. Loads of time-wasting "auditions" and then false starts with ego-geetarists. But there can be nothing for ages and then a load of credible offers all at once. If it were me I'd definately keep a reserve of bass and amp for the 10 calls that could come in next week B)

Without meaning to sound unsympathetic, you don't really offer much information as to why you're in this situation. Everyone goes through these holidays from playing from time to time for a multitude of reasons.

Unless you really need the money, rather than simply sell your gear which you may regret at some point, you could spend your time learning new stuff and upping your game bass-wise (not that I'm suggesting that's something you actually need to do) which may put you in a more "in demand" position. Unless you're pro level, our phones are not likely to be melting due to offers so do something to put yourself in a better position to play.

A break from playing is a good opportunity for a bit of self assessment. View it as positive, not a reason to sell up.

Everybody else seems to be persuading you to keep the gear and keep playing, so here's an opposite view.

Yeah, go ahead, sell all your gear now. With a few months of not having anything to play on you'll soon find out whether you miss playing or not. And if you do (and I suspect we all think you will :D), then it's a great opportunity to build up your rig and gear from scratch, with no guilt. You can get something completely different, or you can enjoy the fun of hunting down exactly the stuff you used to have. (Although at least you'll know where to find that Bongo - stingrayPete will have it!).

And then you'll probably enjoy playing that much more, for having had a break from it.

So go for it!

It's up to you but my experience has been that I've been 12 months between bands before now. I keep my hand in by doing jam sessions at open mic venues. If you are disillusioned with playing I'd say pick the one single bass that you prefer playing and the single amp/cab combination you think sounds best. Keep a decent cable and a tuner then sell off the rest. If you don't even pick up the remaining bass during the following 6 months for a noodle then maybe time to move on but give it some thought..

[quote name='Thurbs' timestamp='1343286361' post='1748189']
It has been about a year since I played with a great band. At the moment I am with a sh*t / volume war / don't practice at home / ego tastic / etc band just to keep the practice up playing with people. I have an audition tomorrow which fingers crossed will mean I can tell the other band to foxtrot oscar.
[/quote]

Ugh, hope you get the new gig. Obviously you don't feel the same, but I'd rather stay at home and practice with my bass trainer than play in a band I didn't want to be in.

I had a break of some 15 odd years while my lads grew up. Still played at church and at odd occasions but not seriously.

I'm now back playing and can honestly say I'm rehearsing or gigging 4/5 nights a week and loving it.

Can always come back. 6 months is nothing.

I want your Bongo, though.

Edited by 4 Strings

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1343285061' post='1748183']
Stop talking him out of it I have my eye on that Bongo 5 HH :lol:
[/quote]

:lol:

Every cloud, and all that!

That should give you some cash for now, and a little change left over if you did want to come back to... which I think you will. Me? I'd hang on to it. Sell the rig, get something light, keep the Bongo :)

Maybe a rethink about the kinds of bands you're willing to play with?

As I get older I find that what I play has become less important than the people I pay it with. That is to say in the past it was all about the music and I put up with some fairly "difficult" musicians because I really liked the music that we produced. These days I'd rather be a band with people I can get on with and perhaps want to interact with outside of the band. I've also discovered that I'm much more tolerant of music when I'm actually involved in the playing and writing. This attitude tided me over and allowed me to carry on playing until I was able to find my current band where both the music and musicians were great.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1343293346' post='1748312']
Maybe a rethink about the kinds of bands you're willing to play with?

As I get older I find that what I play has become less important than the people I pay it with. That is to say in the past it was all about the music and I put up with some fairly "difficult" musicians because I really liked the music that we produced. These days I'd rather be a band with people I can get on with and perhaps want to interact with outside of the band. I've also discovered that I'm much more tolerant of music when I'm actually involved in the playing and writing. This attitude tided me over and allowed me to carry on playing until I was able to find my current band where both the music and musicians were great.
[/quote]

I want and have achieved both, in both the bands I've been in in my fledgeling career (as well as the super occasional side project). I have turned down bands where I've liked the music but didn't care for all the interpersonal drama.

scuse the bluntness but 6 months really is pi55 all

i flogged all my gear many years ago and regretted it massively (from my own personal exp unless you are loaded with beer tokens, you simply cannot go out and replace a trace rig a status and a trb6p 'just like that')

Now is not a good time to sell. It's a buyer's market.

Instead, if you can't find the right people to play with, play with yourself (oo-er missus). Like I said, it's a buyers market so get yourself some cheap s/h recording gear and some other instruments. Teach yourself to play and record them. You never know what opportunities may open up for you as a result, and I can guarantee you'll have fun in the process. You'll be making music without having to put up with stoned guitarists who play too loud or drummers whose shift patterns in the day job constantly mess up your band practice schedule.