Why become a member? ×

What's the last bassline you learned?

Doc B

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1334341250' post='1614968']
When i told my bass teacher i had been to neil murray masterclass at LBGS he was dead impressed. He has had lessons off him himself and rates him as a top player.
[/quote]

He has been a huge influence since first hearing / seeing him with Colloseum 2 many yrs ago and then with Whitesnake and the many many guest or session spots he did. Wide and varied styles and terrific punch and attack when needed.
Neil and Jack Bruce probably the ideal Rock bassists IMHO.
I'm now jealous and wish i had taken lessons from Neil - that would be a highlight in anyone's career.

thanks
Dave

Today I am mostly learning Hotel California. I have a friend who is learning guitar and we are getting together next week have a go at playing a few things. This is one of the songs she knows so I'm trying to learn it too. I think I've pretty well got it now except for the outro.

• 4 months later...

Seven Nation Army by the White Stripes. I'm not massively fond of them TBH. But the rest of the band wanted to do it so I went ahead and learned it. Rehearsal tonight and it turns out only me and the drummer actually knew it.
But by the end of the sesh, singer and guitard had copped on a bit and it was starting to sound quite good. I think its a good choice for us as it is fairly simple and so are we!! Lol :-)

I had a quick dabble through 'Fear Of The Dark' by Maiden for a laugh as a mate's band had covered it the night before (along with 'Fool For Your Loving' coincidentally) and I'd never played it. They aren't actually a classic rock cover band at all but they throw a few in to keep things ticking along between their own original material.

Last line I learned was um...... Probably a song I never realy wanted to play. ( Sweet child of mine )

Poison will be learned next, as will........... Higher Ground (RHCP version). Maybe schism for the laugh. Oh, I was listening to Bodyrox 'Yeah Yeah' and decided to play it. Good warm up. Using that now as a warm up as well as 'Bay when you're gone' by Brian Adams.

[quote name='skidder652003' timestamp='1332498748' post='1589076']
good times - chic, as per thread in Theory and technique! Absoloute nightmare to get right! :)
[/quote]

It seems extremely simple when you first listen to it... but it does take a while to get the timing and the various nuances just right. Great fun song to play 'though!

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1346325246' post='1787836']
It seems extremely simple when you first listen to it... but it does take a while to get the timing and the various nuances just right. Great fun song to play 'though!
[/quote]

Yes, I'm trying 'Good times' as well 'cos my teacher thinks it would be good for me. I'm loving it, but I'm still sounding very stiff and plonky.
I'm feeling like I'm too White to get down, lol :o

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1346326425' post='1787858']
Yes, I'm trying 'Good times' as well 'cos my teacher thinks it would be good for me. I'm loving it, but I'm still sounding very stiff and plonky.
I'm feeling like I'm too White to get down, lol :o
[/quote]

my first wife was a black american woman... I heard the "too white" comment everytime we went dancing somewhere :lol: