Why become a member? ×

What's the last bassline you learned?

Doc B

• 2 months later...

Livin on a prayer - Bon jovi
You're in love - ratt
Is this love - white snake

I feel really inadequate now after all the fancy stuff everyone else is learning.
I have a list of 80s hair metal songs I want to learn as its my fave music.
My fave song to play ever is round and round by ratt every time I play it it just makes me feel so happy.

Easy - Commodores
Teen Town - Jaco.....well the first 4 bars and only at half the speed it's supposed to be but it's my long term practice piece to work on at lessons. Not my usual musical fare but good for improving and learning. How the hell do you play that fast and maintain accuracy :).

[quote name='simes' timestamp='1353614613' post='1876675']
Easy - Commodores
Teen Town - Jaco.....well the first 4 bars and only at half the speed it's supposed to be but it's my long term practice piece to work on at lessons. Not my usual musical fare but good for improving and learning. How the hell do you play that fast and maintain accuracy :).
[/quote]

I think I have sections if not all of Teen Town transcribed in a Jaco book. One for the list of should learn for me.

I'm currently learning Alannah Myles - Black Velvet.... And am grateful I have a 5 string :P

The original starts on a D# so on a 4 string the recommendation is to drop tune ALL strings by a semitone!!!!!

On my 5 string.... Not an issue :D

It's a curious song...... As about 70% of it it banging out loud root notes.... The other 30% is challenging little flurries, lots of 8th notes....

We are trying it in next weeks band practice, so I have the weekend to either nail the hard bits or dumb it down!!

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1353654118' post='1876956']
I'm currently learning Alannah Myles - Black Velvet.... And am grateful I have a 5 string :P

The original starts on a D# so on a 4 string the recommendation is to drop tune ALL strings by a semitone!!!!!

On my 5 string.... Not an issue :D

It's a curious song...... As about 70% of it it banging out loud root notes.... The other 30% is challenging little flurries, lots of 8th notes....

We are trying it in next weeks band practice, so I have the weekend to either nail the hard bits or dumb it down!!
[/quote]

...originally played on a synth bass.

Truth is, if you play it at the octave on a 4-string, no-one but anoraks will notice....

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1353665050' post='1877064']
Slade - Mama we're All Crazy Now. Quiet good actually, its not the root note plodder I expected it to be,
[/quote]

Underestimated bass player (assuming he made up the bass lines) I think they're remarkably tuneful and showed a pride in his work.

I have to learn Jocelyn Brown's 'Someone Else's Guy' for a rehearsal tonight and gig tomorrow.

Good slap line all the way through. A bit irksome I wouldn't classify my playing with the words 'good' and 'slap' near each other, but I'll be better at it after tomorrow night! Got a bv to go with it too. <gulp>

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1353634846' post='1876916']
I feel the need to apologise for them :/

Nah, as far as indie pop goes, they are alright.
[/quote]

I don't!

They've done very well for themselves and a great bunch of lads, who worked hard to get where they are :)

Paolo Nutini - 10/10
The Strokes - Last Night
Elton John - Step Into Christmas

That time of year...