Why become a member? ×

Bass Guitar Magazine editor

Joel McIver

[quote name='louisthebass' timestamp='1341424162' post='1718830']
Hi Joel,
Welcome aboard - I subscribe to the mag (thanks to the missus buying it for me for chrimbo) & quite enjoy reading it.

Would I be right in saying the boo-boo in the most recent issue was Andrew McKinney being called Paul Geary :lol:? I had a lesson with Paul that night & we had a chuckle about it..
[/quote]

Got it in one! I had the proofreader flogged the next day...

Joel I take your point about continuing to have The Institute diary, but what about rotating the various schools that offer these course annually (ACM, BIMM, etc) so as to still cover the subject but avoid the annual repetition as hopefully their syllabuses vary a bit?

Welcome to the Forum, and congratulations if the new Job was something you really wanted (im guessing it was)

Also I hope you will get involved with contributing to forum topics in general

Nothing to add re the mag, really haven't bothered with many mags since the internet kick off (used to buy everything), now its just sometimes, perhaps thats something for your marketing guys to think about, im sure im not the only stray

Cheers

Something I see in Guitar magazines regularly is an in-depth article on the history of a particular manufacturer or instrument. I feel this would be a fantastic addition and beyond may even force me to renew my sub! (I currently buy from WHSmith). I intend to give some more feedback in more detail and will drop you an email Joel :)

Good on you Joel for comming on here and laying your cards on the table so to speak. Funnily enough, I have just bought the latest edition with Geddy on the front and I haven`t been buying it much lately as I was getting pi**ed off reading reviews of really expensive basses that I couldn`t afford.

I don`t know if this has been suggested but how about a feature where you focus on one guy`s collection with lot`s of nice photo`s and some background about how they got the gear?

A little bit off-topic, but my criticism on the Bassically Speaking feature (or rather on what some/most interviewees have to say) got some responses, so I feel like defending my point:

Yes, young players should be enthusiastic, and we should encourage them. In fact, I give bass lessons for free, to do just that. They should also be as left-wing (musically) as possible. I just think that an attitude like:[i] "I'll better play eight note root-fifth riffs on my four string p-bass with flats through an overdriven ampeg, because any other feel/technique/bass/string count/amp is for show-offs"[/i] is really as conservative as it gets. Their grandads were more radical in their time. It's not my insecurities, I might not be financially succesful as a musician (although it pays for gear and even some holidays), but other jobs compensate for it. I've gigged, toured, recorded, met and befriended some of my bass-playing gurus, taught. I just remember that when I started playing bass (rather late, I was 18, played guitar and drums before), I wanted to try everything. Rock, metal, funk, jazz, Bach, folk, reggae, fretless, 6-string, 8-string, P-bass, upright, slap, tap, pick, bow, flanger, octaver, synth, sight reading, 3/4, 7/8, 15/16.
And to make it all clear, I don't actually dislike the feature. I would just like to see more of those girls and guys who actually do something unusual, have something [i]else[/i] to say. Not 5 "new" indie-rock p-bass player every issue. Show me someone who plays a one-string bass with a chicken leg :) Or, I don't know, at least a 5-string fretless in a folk band?

Hi Joel

Good to see you on here. A couple of things, how about a "Me and my Bass feature? I know Ba**ist did it when they last published ( in fact I was in it with a jaydee roadie).

Also just to prove I read my subscribed edition this month, is the heavily advertised and reviewed TC BG 250 combo really made in UK?

Hi Joel
I can only mirror a few.comments previously mentioned.
High, mid & budget reviews will always pull my attention back to a mag (especially when the latter two options are offered as part of a review) .
Beginners sections should never be overlooked as we all never stop learning.
Welcome to the forum & congratulations on your new job.

Your bravery & Slayer knowledge has already impressed me lol hope you enjoy your time with is nutters mate. I'm very pleased your here as this is becoming a cracking thread.

How about a naked woman who can play a one stringed bass with a chicken leg while driving a fire truck ? That would make me definately subscribe......

Edited by fumps

Why not* totally rip off the entire Top Gear format:

- 'star with a reasonably priced bass guitar'. You have an Encore P bass, and each week let a virtuoso play it and see how they make it sound, with videos online.

- 'The Cool Wall' - what's cool ATM and what's very uncool. Should get those letters flooding in!

- as previously mentioned, give three writers a budget of £300 to buy eg 'best bass for metal' or 'largest rig' and let them battle it out

- Challenges, eg make a rig that works underwater etc.

* cos it would probably be rubbish

A series of articles showing a proper, scientific method to prove/disprove that wood has something to do with the tone of an electric bass guitar.

A 'debate' section, with two experts arguing about the topic of the month, eg 4 v 5 string, valve v SS, BO v NT, etc. etc. there is something similar in Land Rover Owners magazine (you'd be amazed how many contentious issues there are between Land Rover enthusiasts.)

Sorry if this has already been suggested, but I would love you to do the following:

Get a selection of Jazz basses in for review - high and low end Fenders, along with both cheap and expensive copies, like Squiers, Faridas, Laklands and Sadowskys.
Then let reviewers compare them blindfold........ and no cheating!

Then you could do the same with Precisions :)