Why become a member? ×

Bass Guitar Magazine editor

Joel McIver

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1358612468' post='1942204']

It'd be interesting to know what rates they have for one-off articles. I'd have, as an example, no qualms for taking my bass to a nearby-ish shop (Dawson's in Manchester since they post on here - or did, as an example) for them to write a review of it. Not for readers to think about buying one but as a Reader's [s]Wives[/s] Bass section. Any other willing BCers would keep such a column going for quite a while.
[/quote]Like it. Guitarist used to do a 'my guitar is..' column written by readers as did Guitar & Bass Magazine. They ran for a good many years, in fact they might still do.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1358612468' post='1942204']It'd be interesting to know what rates they have for one-off articles. I'd have, as an example, no qualms for taking my bass to a nearby-ish shop (Dawson's in Manchester since they post on here - or did, as an example) for them to write a review of it. Not for readers to think about buying one but as a Reader's [s]Wives[/s] Bass section. Any other willing BCers would keep such a column going for quite a while.
[/quote]

That's a good idea! It would give reviewers the chance to have a look at basses that have been modified by their owner and report on the pros and cons of them.

As well as reviewing how older basses compare with their modern counterparts.

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1358612821' post='1942213']
Like it. Guitarist used to do a 'my guitar is..' column written by readers as did Guitar & Bass Magazine. They ran for a good many years, in fact they might still do.[/quote]

At the risk of being boring and repetitive..........

They also did one on "My amp is...." about my Hiwatt.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1358606746' post='1942103']
When does anyone who demands a reasonable standard of written language in a written medium become a grammar Nazi?[/quote]

When, indeed?

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1358606746' post='1942103']In printed media, I demand a high standard of language and grammar in addition to quality content[b];[/b] after all, I am chucking a fiver at the publishers..
[/quote]

Semi-colon required. Please commit seppuku immediately.

Yours,

Mr Graham Arne-Artsey

It's an interesting thread this regarding the quality we expect from a magazine but also the content of it. Might be worth Joe asking for opinion on here as to what folk would like to see as I guess we will all have different ideas.

I've suggested in the past that review of more affordable basses should be included as other folk have stated, we don't all have 3 grand for a bass.

I quite liked the 'Woodshed' articles because I'm interested in building basses as well as playing them. Thought there was some good stuff in the past with Zon and the likes. I see they have an article running at the moment about restoring a Ricky 4001. It's interesting enough but some costs against the work would make it more useful to anyone thinking of doing something similar.

As far as interviews go, I do find the ones in 'Bassically Speaking' a little tedious at times as there so often seems to be the 'a bass only needs four strings' and 'I do/don't like slap because' as standard responses.

So what else would anyone like to see? Maybe articles on how to record basses, recording kit - though that is probably starting to creep into an area covered by other mags, decent links to sound files for the tutorials, sound files for the basses reviewed, history of bass companies, I think there's all sorts of stuff.

I still quite like it despite its flaws but I don't think it takes as long to read as it used to!!

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1358613434' post='1942230']
Does lady silddx count? :D
[/quote]

No. Mrs S is exempted from this order.

[quote name='Jabba_the_gut' timestamp='1358615855' post='1942288']
Maybe articles on how to record basses, recording kit - though that is probably starting to creep into an area covered by other mags.
[/quote]

... which magazines are very often published by the same company. Which might explain why 'Guitarist' for many years seemed to restrict its recording articles to funny-looking old school hardware recorders, leaving cheaper and more accessible software stuff to its sister publication whose name eludes me. Forces one to buy both mags.

Thing is, sites like Basschat cream off those who are insanely interested in stuff, which perhaps forces the monthly mags like BGM to address such types who 'Railway Modeller' once quaintly identified as 'The Average Enthusiast'.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1358616668' post='1942308']perhaps forces the monthly mags like BGM to address such types who 'Railway Modeller' once quaintly identified as 'The Average Enthusiast'.[/quote]

While searching out a copy of BGM this aft. in Preston WHS - not easy, it was 4 rows back on a shelf, almost full hidden & it was impossible to see from eye level.
However.......... in doing so I clocked a copy of "The Airfix Modeller", which IF I'd picked it up for a peruse would have guaranteed numerous "I had one of them"s - but I didn't have the nerve to be seen picking it up.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1360602967' post='1973165']
So where is the Lull review then? Obviously it must have been written, and the photographs taken so why isn't it in this months issue. As consumers we were cheated out of 4 pages in the previous one, so they should have been included for free is the current issue.
[/quote]
Bizarre innit.

So where is the Lull review then? Obviously it must have been written, and the photographs taken so why isn't it in this months issue. As consumers we were cheated out of 4 pages in the previous one, so they should have been included for free is the current issue.
[/quote]

Probably too tight on deadlines. Depends how/where they are printed but sometimes the next issue is all put to bed (apart from the odd small adjustment up front) by the time the first issue appears.

This would shunt it back another issue.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1360604708' post='1973210']
Probably too tight on deadlines. Depends how/where they are printed but sometimes the next issue is all put to bed (apart from the odd small adjustment up front) by the time the first issue appears.

[/quote]

This. I would expect the next couple of issues to be sorted already. I'm sure it'll appear in due course.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1360604708' post='1973210']

[/quote]

[quote name='paulconnolly' timestamp='1360608374' post='1973327']
This. I would expect the next couple of issues to be sorted already. I'm sure it'll appear in due course.
[/quote]

But the whole point of using computers to do design/layout/artwork is the speed and flexibility they give.

In the days of traditional type-setting where you would cast off copy to fit your given measure and then send it to be type set. When the bromide prints came back a couple of days later they'd already be out of date because the client had set through further revisions to the text! I'm thankful that those times are long gone.

They could easily have dropped "Basically Speaking" for a month and put back Jeff Berlin's column to the next issue. No-one would have missed those.

IIRC it's been established it's published on a shoe-string. I know most of Guitarist & Guitar&Bass are laid out a month in advance, so if BGM is the same they wouldn't be able to afford the delay in going back & rehashing the pages no matter how much they wanted to fix their mahoosive balls up.
I'm assuming it's perfect bound which means drying time & at what? .... around 60pp+ there's a whole lot of folding on those sheets to take up time too.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1360613750' post='1973509']
IIRC it's been established it's published on a shoe-string. I know most of Guitarist & Guitar&Bass are laid out a month in advance, so if BGM is the same they wouldn't be able to afford the delay in going back & rehashing the pages no matter how much they wanted to fix their mahoosive balls up.
I'm assuming it's perfect bound which means drying time & at what? .... around 60pp+ there's a whole lot of folding on those sheets to take up time too.
[/quote]
That may be the case, but they have enough resource to keep sending me letters reminding me my subscription has run out. After the issue with the Lull review I decided not to renew. It was getting like the same old same old regarding interviews with players and the same brands of equipment seem to come up time and time again.

[/quote]

It's because the BGM team are @&£#s. they tried to seduce me today with the promise of a goody bag "worth over £100" on the condition I give them £40 for a load of scrap paper. Am I supposed to believe people who lie about having reviews of Mike Lull basses and who then refuse to make amends by just ignoring the fact that they lied to me?!

Where is Lynn Faulds Wood when you need her? BGM is a potential death trap and they doggedly try to get me with their continued solicitation. I can get the entire contents of that goody bag for less than a tenner on this very forum! Leave me alone, you worthless ragamuffins!

Edited by Sean

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1360655530' post='1973942']
I decided to renew my BGM subscription yesterday. It's something I look forward to dropping onto the doormat each month.
[/quote]Me too. At the sub rate it's only £3.50 an issue and I needed a clip on tuner for home. For all its shortcomings it's still better than having no bass mag at all and gives us all something to moan about on occasion ;)