Why become a member? ×

"Real bass players don't use picks"

EdwardHimself

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1339868937' post='1695708']
:) No need to apologise, Ed. It's just me being old and grumpy again. Surprised you missed the smut, though.

AFAIC, using a pick, fingers or slapping are just means to an end. Tools which are suitable to the task in hand, if you like. You'd use a hammer to bang in a nail and a screwdriver to - well, you get my drift.

We all know this and I don't see why we so frequently get analytical or defensive about it. I just can't imagine a thread on a woodworking forum where someone would say "Hammers - they're for failed brickies" and they'd give it more than a hollow laugh.

[color=#ffffff].[/color]
[/quote]

I obviously was not on smut detection mode lol. I know what you're saying, the issue is that you can gaurantee there are some kids who have just started out at joinery school who would actually think that, if you see what I am saying...

playing is playing whether its with a pick or fingers, it all comes down to players preference, the must they are playing, and ultimately the sound they are aiming for.

i play with pick and sometimes fingers, but thats due to the fact ive always played harder more agressive basslines and find the pick gets my sound.

I have no issue with whichever playing style someone uses , but one thing I have noticed is that if I start bouncing around at a gig it is easier to keep control of actually playing the notes if I throw the pick away and use my fingers , it somehow feels that I can keep my hand in position better when the guitar is moving about a bit

Like other's have said (I think, I didn't read after page 1), it depends on the sound & the song.
My old band had a couple of songs that suited a clean bass sound with a pick. I tried them with fingers, slapping using fx & all sorts, but nothing fitted the song.
& this is coming from the guy who hates using a pick (OK, I don't hate it, I just prefer fingering ;) ).

[quote name='BRANCINI' timestamp='1339940991' post='1696505']It.ll never get better if you pick it.....
[/quote]

Oh I dunno...........

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH4oSsHGNOc&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH4oSsHGNOc&feature=related[/url]

you should learn to use both in my opinion... it is never a bad thing to be good at lots of different styles of plucking! anyone who says real bass player don't use a pick direct them to the nearest video of Anthony Jackson

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vti-ufVDXc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vti-ufVDXc[/url]

Edited by dakanoosh

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1339838302' post='1695084']
Spot on. Although I'm not sure there's a hyphen in it.
[/quote]

Yeah there is-but only one 'L'.

JJ-all that needs to be said IMHO as soon as this debate comes up-but even he uses his fingers on some songs-where it's appropriate.

[quote name='dakanoosh' timestamp='1339955079' post='1696752']
you should learn to use both in my opinion... it is never a bad thing to be good at lots of different styles of plucking! anyone who says real bass player don't use a pick direct them to the nearest video of Anthony Jackson

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vti-ufVDXc[/media]
[/quote]

The whole of this Simon Phillips session is great. Anthony at his absolute best, though this is my favourite tune...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb8k53ZzJbc

I grew listening to Jimmy Lea, tried feebly to emulate him, he was also a Herco user.
FF to 3:20, the recording quality isn't too great but I think this would be essentially a pick job.

The bass is a slightly customised EB3, which was stolen so is out there somewhere............

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEorSzKII4o[/media]

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1339857255' post='1695494']

Thankfully, I have never felt inferior (unconfident at times...yes) as a bassist, and no, I never had the wish to play anything other the bass, though it is good to be able to play more than one instrument. You are correct when you say that when the bassist stops playing, then the whole shebang falls apart. So why think you'r inferior?
[/quote]

Jeez guys, is my sarcasm THAT subtle? Do we really need the smiley face icon to tell when someone is joking?

[quote name='Gareth Hughes' timestamp='1340013839' post='1697484']
Jeez guys, is my sarcasm THAT subtle? Do we really need the smiley face icon to tell when someone is joking?
[/quote]

My apologies for taking you up wrongly. I would generally not consider myself to be naive. However, I have come across people who actually have the the views you "jokingly" related. So, as I dont know you from Adam, then yes, maybe the smiley may have been necessary. That's what they're for.

Edited by Coilte

I play with a pick for the most part (Except softer songs where i use fingers and also tapping when i feel lazy) as it just gives the sound i like. I find a pick gives that extra bit of bite and definition when using overdrive, which really works for my bands live sound. I could play the same gig with my fingers, it just wouldn't sound as good to me.

Also: Real Bassists don't give a crap what they use.

Liam

Edited by LiamPodmore

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1339958925' post='1696845']
The whole of this Simon Phillips session is great. Anthony at his absolute best, though this is my favourite tune...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb8k53ZzJbc[/media]
[/quote]

Yeah I agree, its all great!

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1340015958' post='1697539']

My apologies for taking you up wrongly. I would generally not consider myself to be naive. However, I have come across people who actually have the the views you "jokingly" related. So, as I dont know you from Adam, then yes, maybe the smiley may have been necessary. That's what they're for.
[/quote]

Apologies Coilte, not singling you out on purpose to make that point. Wouldn't be the first time my sense of humour didn't come across well.

My genuine opinion is that playing any instrument in any way is valid as long as it makes the sound that's desired. As for who is more important in a band- every role is important and should be respected as such.

My feeling is that folks who think bass should have four strings and be played with fingers in a subordinant role are missing the point of music in general. Music (and instruments) are in a constant state of evolution. To have the progress of that evolution stop at a certain point seems redundant to me and shows up a particular characteristic about someone that I really don't like.

Like Frank Zappa said - a mind is like a parachute. It only works if it's open.

[quote name='Gareth Hughes' timestamp='1340023449' post='1697719']
Apologies Coilte, not singling you out on purpose to make that point. Wouldn't be the first time my sense of humour didn't come across well.

My genuine opinion is that playing any instrument in any way is valid as long as it makes the sound that's desired. As for who is more important in a band- every role is important and should be respected as such.

My feeling is that folks who think bass should have four strings and be played with fingers in a subordinant role are missing the point of music in general. Music (and instruments) are in a constant state of evolution. To have the progress of that evolution stop at a certain point seems redundant to me and shows up a particular characteristic about someone that I really don't like.

Like Frank Zappa said - a mind is like a parachute. It only works if it's open.
[/quote]

No offence taken Gareth. I agree 100% with your post.

Edited by Coilte

Find it hard to use a pick and get rythmn spot on but having practiced for past 6-7mths using my index finger as a pick i can cope really well. Ony real problem is i hit quite hard and my finger eventually gets numb under the nail after about 3 or 4 songs and i struggle playing for a bit after that. Upshot is i grew my nails and click the strings giving similar pick sound.
This works for me won't for many.
Trial and error over many yrs.
I started with a pick, moved to finger style after 2-3yrs and have kept with since because it suited style i was playing.

Dave